The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

So Windows 8...isn't Doing Too Good.

Phones, computers, tablets, and all other forms of electronic wizardry
Newah

So Windows 8...isn't Doing Too Good.

Post by Newah »

Yep. As I predicted, Windows 8 is seriously not catching on. And I'm actually a little bit glad. If 8 becomes the most popular OS, that would be a little sad. (IMO)

As is seen here, Windows 8 sales have taken quite the dip, and are actually on and below the level of Vista, classically seen as a failure.

So what are your thoughts? You like Windows 8, or hate it? Or somewhere in between?
TheLastLink
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Post by TheLastLink »

Windows XP [Popular]
Windows Vista [Unpopular]
Windows 7 [Popular]
Windows 8 [Unpopular]

Wait for the next iteration.
Newah

Post by Newah »

That seems to be the new regular, and I think it's because the people at Windows see how successful their OS was, and think they can just ride on their success...but just can't. Although Windows 8 was most likely just Windows pulling an Apple. Trying to beat the world to the next popular thing. But they can't.
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

Newah wrote:Although Windows 8 was most likely just Windows pulling an Apple.
Of course, the ironic part of that is:

Windows PC Marketshare: >90%
Macintosh PC Marketshare: <10%

So, why would Microsoft try to copy apple.

Yeah, I know, Apple has iOS. But Tablets ≠ PC's.

I like Windows 8. Outside of the Metro environment, everything just feels faster, snappier and more polished than Windows 7. Performance itself is NOTICEABLY better, even on the same hardware... that alone is a huge advantage to using Windows 8.

Taken by itself, I like the Metro UI as well. It's pretty, smooth, and fairly easy-to-use. Navigating it with a mouse is a little clunky, but not nearly as bad as the tech press has made it out to be, IMO.

So Metro is good, the desktop is improved... what I CAN'T STAND is switching between the two. It's strange and disorienting, and when using Windows 8, Microsoft makes you do it ALL THE FREAKING TIME. It's terrible.

And yet despite that... I do think Windows 8 is a better OS than Windows 7, even if just because of the speed improvements. It's just too bad Microsoft couldn't decide on one UI and stick with it...
Lysander789

Post by Lysander789 »

What turned me off of Windows 8 was the Metro Interface on PC. I like Metro on Tablets and on the Xbox, but on PC, it looks appalling. Navigating can be a pain at times, and Windows 8 didn't make a good first impression for me.

For Windows 8's slow sales, I find it surprising Vista is doing better than 8. Another reason for the slow sales is basically everyone in the world has a computer. From a consumer's perspective, there's no point of buying a new version every 1-5 when your current PC is just fine.

I see Microsoft is doing the "iPad strategy" of releasing a new version every 1-3 years. Now I still love Microsoft and Windows, but Windows 8 has got a long way before it reaches the top charts.
tta

Post by tta »

TheLastLink wrote:Windows XP [Popular]
Windows 7 [Popular]
Windows 8 [Unpopular]

There are rumors about the next windows OS being named "Windows Blue" or something.
Newah

Post by Newah »

Well, if one thing is unanimous, it's that Windows 8 is certainly faster.

Here's a funny thing, I found that Google Trends accurately depicts the sales of Windows platforms, as seen here.

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q= ... 0XP&cmpt=q
EyceKubes

Post by EyceKubes »

Windows 7 [Popular]
Windows 8 [Unpopular]

Found that very true.

Also, I find that Windows 8 is much more polished and streamlined and it doesn't feel as "clunky" compared to Windows 7. The performance boost is also a very nice addition to the new OS. However, I'm really disappointed at Microsoft's approach to the design. It's built as a Tablet but published to PC which is NOT okay. I don't know who's idea it was to try and combine the two completely different machines but whoever it was was not thinking too well. Tablets are touchscreens and PC's use a Mouse and Keyboard. Keep it like that and you'll keep the ENTIRE community happy! When I get my new PC (and who knows how long that'll be) I'll either be getting Windows 9 (if its better) or downgrading to Windows 7... the way I like it :)
Semesto

Post by Semesto »

EyceKubes wrote:Found that very true.

Also, I find that Windows 8 is much more polished and streamlined and it doesn't feel as "clunky" compared to Windows 7. The performance boost is also a very nice addition to the new OS. However, I'm really disappointed at Microsoft's approach to the design. It's built as a Tablet but published to PC which is NOT okay. I don't know who's idea it was to try and combine the two completely different machines but whoever it was was not thinking too well. Tablets are touchscreens and PC's use a Mouse and Keyboard. Keep it like that and you'll keep the ENTIRE community happy! When I get my new PC (and who knows how long that'll be) I'll either be getting Windows 9 (if its better) or downgrading to Windows 7... the way I like it :)
Agreed.
winningkill

Post by winningkill »

Windows 7 [Popular]
Windows 8 [Unpopular]

My brother has a vista and a mac book pro.
SerPo

Post by SerPo »

Why does no one like W8?
Because of Metro? Pff, I also didn't like it at first, but now it's kinda useful.

Most people that don't like W8 didn't even try it...
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

SerPo wrote:Why does no one like W8?
Because of Metro? Pff, I also didn't like it at first, but now it's kinda useful.

Most people that don't like W8 didn't even try it...
I installed W on my old laptop and for me it just doesn't feel right to have it on a laptop.

If it was a touch device like a tablet, maybe, but i wouldnt like the old desktop view on a tablet.

I think its just a matter of personal preference. What i WISHED that they would have done is to have the normal aero or whatever its called on the desktops with some improvements and have the metro interface on all the touch devices.

Quick question: How is metro useful for you? What do you do on it that you like?
Soccerstar

Post by Soccerstar »

Windows 8 failed because it's a touch screen OS. That's what it's made for. Which, for something like a tablet computer or a Samsung Galaxy Pad, that's perfect, in fact probably what you've been waiting for. But Window's problem is they're expecting all computers, whether it be a tablet, laptop, or desktop, to go touchscreen. But the problem with that is, unless desktops become obsolete, that will never happen. Traditionally, a desktop computer sits on a raised table, a foot or two away from you. To have to use that as a touchscreen would be a HUGE pain. They're built for a keyboard and mouse, and Microsoft can't change that.
Semesto

Post by Semesto »

My dad got a Windows 8 PC last week... I don't know how he can even use it I offered to install Windows 7 or OS X on it and even got the install disks but no cigar.
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

Dear Dirty Windows,

You should just release computers less often.
Also, you should go for counseling because I can't help you.

"Dear Blue Link" is written by Miniike M. Miniike.
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
Lemon
Editorial Staff

Post by Lemon »

In my (very unprofessional) opinion when it comes to computers, I don't see why they release a new OS for no reason. There really wasn't anything wrong with the last one.

Apple does the same thing. As soon as you buy a new iPod, a fancy new one comes out.
Newah

Post by Newah »

If it's not broken, don't fix it. Metro seriously could have just been an optional windows addon. I mean seriously.
Semesto

Post by Semesto »

Lemon wrote:In my (very unprofessional) opinion when it comes to computers, I don't see why they release a new OS for no reason. There really wasn't anything wrong with the last one.

Apple does the same thing. As soon as you buy a new iPod, a fancy new one comes out.
True but they don't change their OS's drastically like W7 to W8! You can always expect what the new OSX is going to be like. :)
TheFox

Post by TheFox »

I have windows 8 pro and it works fine. at least, better than what i had before (windows vista).
St0l3n_ID

Post by St0l3n_ID »

Vista was a shitty system, it was a unfinished w7, no suprise there.
For me: i gonna stick to w7 as long as possible, tried w8 on my pc and on a friends pc, and i can't see how i should work productivly on code with this setup, so w7 it is.