The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

2tb Flash Drive

Phones, computers, tablets, and all other forms of electronic wizardry
Hollabyte

2tb Flash Drive

Post by Hollabyte »

Did you guys see the news last year? Apparently Transcend is working on the technology, and it looks pretty cool.

[media=youtube]p7Fp_kLmSIM[/media]
πŸ‘‹ I used to be known as Prototype πŸ™‚ πŸ€–
SirWrek
Editorial Staff
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by SirWrek »

Yes, now instead of being able to hold well over the content of the Library of Congress three times on only one terrabyte flash drives- we can do it well over six times! The amount of information approaches nigh on unlimited now... Imagine- one day a flash drive could hold all of the world's information... :3
I've been around since 2008. And I'm old. Yay. Pretty sure I notched a fair amount of LOTD/XPs but somehow always like my underrated levels more. Go figure. My best design days are behind me, but I'll try to not be too shabby.
brendiculous

Post by brendiculous »

I feel like there has to be a limitation to what we can hold size-wise at some point. I'm not doubting that we'll continue to move forward, but unlimited? All of the world's information on a flash drive? Sounds a bit unrealistic to me.

Also, according to this and this, the total data content count of the Library of Congress is well over 1 tb. More than 10x that, at least.
SirWrek
Editorial Staff
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by SirWrek »

brendiculous wrote:I feel like there has to be a limitation to what we can hold size-wise at some point. I'm not doubting that we'll continue to move forward, but unlimited? All of the world's information on a flash drive? Sounds a bit unrealistic to me.

Also, according to this and this, the total data content count of the Library of Congress is well over 1 tb. More than 10x that, at least.
Ah yes, I'm not saying that we ever will (nor should we) reach an "unlimited" set of potential storage capacity and energy- that was merely my science fiction personale emerging. It would be neat of course...

Also, at the time of the discovery of the even existence of tb's- the Library was in fact weighing in right around 1.03 tb in total, and the fact that anyone could purchase several tb hard drives for roughly $300 and easily store all of that 'known' information.

Of course, by now- considering the fact that thousands of articles and information bits are added to the Library daily, I am sure you are quite right to say that it would be improbable to do such a thing on merely one tb or even several.
I've been around since 2008. And I'm old. Yay. Pretty sure I notched a fair amount of LOTD/XPs but somehow always like my underrated levels more. Go figure. My best design days are behind me, but I'll try to not be too shabby.
nonic5

Post by nonic5 »

That could hold all the information the kids at my school know combined :O (lol stupid kids x3)
Hollabyte

Post by Hollabyte »

I want a flash drive that would contain the entire internet. Then I could own the internet.
nonic5

Post by nonic5 »

Hollabit wrote:I want a flash drive that would contain the entire internet. Then I could own the internet.
Dude... You could put infinate money in your bank account then... Lol.
Adz
Administrator

Post by Adz »

If I had a 2tb drive, I'd end up sticking everything on there and then losing it...
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

So true. Maybe all that space isn't such a good thing...
Epowerj

Post by Epowerj »

And iphones are priced by the 32-64 gigs that are on it.
Semesto

Post by Semesto »

a 2tb or even a 1tb drive sounds like overkill to me. But tech must expand. :P
brendiculous

Post by brendiculous »

I can certainly think of more than one time when it would have been useful to own one ;p, but I agree with Adz - I would definitely lose it at some point.
Hollabyte

Post by Hollabyte »

Then how about we put that storage in our phone and if we lose it we can use its GPS features. Unfortunately I have an iPhone, and apple would charge an outrageous amount for it. :P
nonic5

Post by nonic5 »

Hollabit wrote:Then how about we put that storage in our phone and if we lose it we can use its GPS features. Unfortunately I have an iPhone, and apple would charge an outrageous amount for it. :P
Lol so true.

Or we could buy the GPS tracker that has already been placed on you <3
Semesto

Post by Semesto »

Hollabit wrote:Then how about we put that storage in our phone and if we lose it we can use its GPS features. Unfortunately I have an iPhone, and apple would charge an outrageous amount for it. :P
I bet Apple would have the 8gig 16gig 32gig 64gig 128gig 254gig and so on with a $100 upgrade for each version. -_-
nonic5

Post by nonic5 »

Semesto wrote:I bet Apple would have the 8gig 16gig 32gig 64gig 128gig 254gig and so on with a $100 upgrade for each version. -_-
This is what I'd do.

[media=youtube]vbsMKFsCjQg[/media]
Newah

Post by Newah »

That would be so useful for me, kind of. I really wouldn't be able to use a whole two terabytes...yet. I said I could never use a gigabyte back thirteen years ago, but here I am.
Lemon
Editorial Staff

Post by Lemon »

I have 2tb right now (obviously not in flash drive form).

I enjoy never having to worry about runny out of space. :P
nonic5

Post by nonic5 »

Newah wrote:That would be so useful for me, kind of. I really wouldn't be able to use a whole two terabytes...yet. I said I could never use a gigabyte back thirteen years ago, but here I am.
WOW, Maple Story, other huge amounts of GB's of games I don't really need. <3

Personally, they need to make this not to expensive. Too expensive = more money, fewer buys, Not So Expensive = LOTS of buys, more money.
EyceKubes

Post by EyceKubes »

2TB on a flash drive!? That sounds like science fiction to me. But dang... I want one!