The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Is This Make Or Break For Blackberry (formerly Rim)?

Phones, computers, tablets, and all other forms of electronic wizardry

Is this make or break for Blackberry?

Make
40%
Break
10%
Blackberry is too far gone
50%

Total votes: 10

boberto

Is This Make Or Break For Blackberry (formerly Rim)?

Post by boberto »

Yes, today the long-awaited Blackberry 10 operating system was officially and completely unveiled along with a name change for the company who created it: from RIM (Research in Motion) to simply Blackberry. What do you guys think of this new operating system? I'm curious as I'm a lover of smartphones and an avid, but open-minded Android user.

BB10 certainly looks promising, but do you think it'll be enough to hold Blackberry afloat until they have a firm foundation? RIM/Blackberry has been teetering on the edge of complete failure and this is their last shot at survival and I think it's quite a valiant effort, however it doesn't seem quite up to par with Android or iOS, but it is quite possible it could bully Windows Phone 8 out of the market... I'm not totally sure, but I'd love to have a discussion with you guys. :)

I certainly won't be wavering from the Nexus line of phones until I see something truly amazing though. :P

That is all.
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

I actually think they might do it. Not sure. The OS seems solid, with a UI that is admirable, if a bit overly-complex (fwiw, it's essentially a carbon copy of Nokia's Meego UI, except with additional menus that make it more confusing). Native app support seems to be decent as well, and Android apps can be used as a backup.

And Blackberry is still a very strong and recognizable brand.

I'm with you though Boberto, I certainly won't be switching to it any time soon.
boberto

Post by boberto »

I like what they're doing with swipe gestures and whatnot, but I agree it seems confusing. But I think that's just because it's new and different. If it sells relatively well now I think in a few years BB10 or BB11, whatever it's called in the future, will be a significant contender to Android and iOS. I think it will grab the business phone market again though, especially the Q10, the one with a full QWERTY keyboard.
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

I just don't understand why they didn't make the keyboard slide out. Why should a good physical keyboard come at the expense of screen real-estate?

Having a screen that small would drive me crazy.
boberto

Post by boberto »

I think they did that because Blackberry is known for their phenomenal portrait physical QWERTY keyboards. And if you have a slide-out physical QWERTY keyboard it makes the phone incredibly awkward and clunky. A slide-out landscape QWERTY keyboard isn't something BB is too familiar with, nor is it very functional in the first place. It's less awkward than a slide-out portrait keyboard but still... well, unappealing to most people.
TheFox

Post by TheFox »

you know, every phone has it's quality's. blackberry has several things that even apple hasn't matched. such as the media hub, or the 2.0 megapixel front facing camera (apple only has a 1.2 MP facetime camera). or the 356ppi screen (apple has a 326ppi and the galaxy S3 is even lower). The Nokia lumia 920 has wireless charging. Apple has stability and performance and a 5 layer crystal sapphire (camera) lens. The galaxy S3 has S-voice, S-Beam, and a 720p hd screen. But if you ask me, Blackberry isn't doing very good. It probably won't last much longer. The 2.o MP camera is worse than apple's 1.2 MP camera. and with how android and apple are competing against each other, blackberry won't really have much of a chance to catch up. I even heard that apple is supposed to make a "shake to charge" feature using magnets to charge the phone if you wanted to. Why does a 13 year old know this? Well, I'm an apple fan and I wanted to make sure that i knew as much about cell phones as I possibly could before making judgements about android or blackberry.
ElectroYoshi
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Break. Totally.

I don't wanna seem pessimistic here, but I can't help but feel that BlackBerry became "too far gone" WELL before BB10 came out. Until there's something NEW added to the equation besides new models and OS's, I don't see a reason to switch over.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.