The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Computer Rigs

Phones, computers, tablets, and all other forms of electronic wizardry
EyceKubes

Post by EyceKubes »

Semesto wrote:I just purchased a PC for school, it works fine no problems or lag. :P
specs?
Semesto

Post by Semesto »

Hedlokd wrote:specs?
i5-3210M 2.5ghz 2.5ghz 4 core procesor
6 GB Memory
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 Graphics card
Baufritz
Location: Trapped on a huge round rock hurtling with immense speeds around a fiery star.
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Post by Baufritz »

Adz wrote:My main computer is a project I've been working on over time. Basically, what I did, is I went and bought a super cheap computer and then upgraded components over time. This way, I always have a usable gaming computer.
I'm also going with this approach, It's working out pretty good so far.
Next thing I'll get will probably be an SSD, considering the huge speed boost I get from that.
Can't be bothered to look up exact specs, but i know roughly which parts my PC consists of...

Intel i3 @3.something GHz
1.5TB HDD
2TB HDD
4GB RAM
ATi Raedon

Keyboard is some kind of plastic thingy that came with the pc, and mouse is a R.A.T. 5.
If it's broken, fix it.
If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
Semesto

Post by Semesto »

I have been thinking of taking out my disk drive and putting a AMD Raedon od ATi Raedon in. :P
EyceKubes

Post by EyceKubes »

Baufritz wrote:I'm also going with this approach, It's working out pretty good so far.
Next thing I'll get will probably be an SSD, considering the huge speed boost I get from that.
Can't be bothered to look up exact specs, but i know roughly which parts my PC consists of...

Intel i3 @3.something GHz
1.5TB HDD
2TB HDD
4GB RAM
ATi Raedon

Keyboard is some kind of plastic thingy that came with the pc, and mouse is a R.A.T. 5.
Your going to get a SSD for a gaming PC? I'm not too familiar with the pros and cons of an SSD nor an HDD but from what I can tell a HDD is better for a gaming PC... and although a SSD is faster it has it's drawbacks, no? But do whatever you please! lol It's your computer.
Baufritz
Location: Trapped on a huge round rock hurtling with immense speeds around a fiery star.

Post by Baufritz »

Hedlokd wrote:Your going to get a SSD for a gaming PC? I'm not too familiar with the pros and cons of an SSD nor an HDD but from what I can tell a HDD is better for a gaming PC... and although a SSD is faster it has it's drawbacks, no? But do whatever you please! lol It's your computer.
I also use my pc for other purposes than gaming, so the SSD looks like an option to me... I'll let you know how it works out for gaming if you want :P
If it's broken, fix it.
EyceKubes

Post by EyceKubes »

Baufritz wrote:I also use my pc for other purposes than gaming, so the SSD looks like an option to me... I'll let you know how it works out for gaming if you want :P
cool :)
Adz
Administrator

Post by Adz »

The only issue I know of SSD's with gaming is size issues if you get a smaller capacity one

Levels load faster, programs open faster and the whole system boots faster.
EyceKubes

Post by EyceKubes »

Adz wrote:The only issue I know of SSD's with gaming is size issues if you get a smaller capacity one

Levels load faster, programs open faster and the whole system boots faster.
Do you have a SDD? When I build my computer I'll probably just stick with a HDD since
  1. I'm more familiar with it
  2. It can hold more information/data
  3. It's cheaper
Sure it's not as fast... but I think I could benefit better off of a HDD rather than a SSD... IMO
Adz
Administrator

Post by Adz »

Hedlokd wrote:Do you have a SDD? When I build my computer I'll probably just stick with a HDD since
  1. I'm more familiar with it
  2. It can hold more information/data
  3. It's cheaper
Sure it's not as fast... but I think I could benefit better off of a HDD rather than a SSD... IMO
Yeah, I have one and games/levels/OS loads so much faster

As far as "familiar" goes, there is absolutely no difference between an SSD and HDD beyond the fact that one has moving parts and the other doesn't (and works faster)

Space isn't an issue for me because I have the main OS and most played games on the SSD, then my music/videos and other games on a 1.5TB HDD also in the computer
EyceKubes

Post by EyceKubes »

Adz wrote:Space isn't an issue for me because I have the main OS and most played games on the SSD, then my music/videos and other games on a 1.5TB HDD also in the computer
Ah yeah that makes sense. Maybe I'll do what you did. Get a SSD and a HDD and have some fun... lol. whatever Is better suited for me I guess.
Baufritz

Post by Baufritz »

Hedlokd wrote:Ah yeah that makes sense. Maybe I'll do what you did. Get a SSD and a HDD and have some fun... lol. whatever Is better suited for me I guess.
I'm using that approach as well, it seems to work out nice.
If it's broken, fix it.
Newah

Post by Newah »

Yes, get a SSD. My operating system loads in about 10-15 seconds now. And once you see the desktop, it's instantly ready to go. It's sooo much better than a standard HDD.
EyceKubes

Post by EyceKubes »

The only problem for me is that I have no idea how I would go about configuring everything... Like putting only the OS on the SSD and (mostly) everything else on the HDD. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
Semesto

Post by Semesto »

Hedlokd wrote:The only problem for me is that I have no idea how I would go about configuring everything... Like putting only the OS on the SSD and (mostly) everything else on the HDD. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
Neah find someone that can, once I decide to have a custom PC made Ill have a friend of mine make one for me.
EyceKubes

Post by EyceKubes »

Semesto wrote:Neah find someone that can, once I decide to have a custom PC made Ill have a friend of mine make one for me.
I'd rather be taught (or learn by watching tutorials) and then go ahead and do it all by myself. I've watched hours worth of Custom PC Building videos and I now know how to do it. And yes I know how to install a SSD and a HDD. The configuration I don't know. I will have to learn that. I'm pretty sure there's a tutorial around somewhere but i'll go looking for it when I come to the problem :)
Newah

Post by Newah »

I didn't really have to use tutorials myself. I plugged both HDD's in, and chose the SSD as my OS installation choice in windows setup. The rest of the drives are looked at kind of like flash drives. And if you want to install a program or game the HDD, you just change the directory it installs to. Either that or use something incredibly useful, called "Dynamic Links".
Baufritz

Post by Baufritz »

Newah wrote:"Dynamic Links".
How does that work ?
If it's broken, fix it.
Newah

Post by Newah »

It kind of works like Shortcuts. The actual file will be in one place, but the computer thinks it's in another. That become useful for steam. If I want one game on the SSD, but the rest on my HDD I just create a symbolic link for the game so that the computer thinks it's on the HDD but it's actually on the SSD. I can't remember where I found the program for it though.
Semesto

Post by Semesto »

For black Friday I have found 8 gig RAM for $30 I have told my brother to go pick it a set up for me. So if they are the right size (Didn't check I can always return them) I will have 12 gigs of RAM on my PC!

I have been playing with the idea of making my 2008 iMac into a tower. Adding 2 more HDD 1 SSD, 8 more RAM, i7 or two i5,