The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Birthday's Coming Up, Want New Laptop--suggestions?

Phones, computers, tablets, and all other forms of electronic wizardry
ElectroYoshi
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Birthday's Coming Up, Want New Laptop--suggestions?

Post by ElectroYoshi »

If it helps, I typically just play games, use facebook, and post on forums on the internet. Additionally, I absolutely detest Windows 8, so I want something that comes with either Vista or 7. Just so everyone knows, I'm trying to decide what kind of laptop to ask for for my birthday next month.

So...suggestions?
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
winningkill

Post by winningkill »

You should build yourself a computer. You buy all of the parts you want, the processor, etc.
Magmar

Post by Magmar »

If you have the money for it, I believe you would appreciate an Alienware.
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

ElectroYoshi wrote:I absolutely detest Windows 8, so I want something that comes with either Vista or 7.

While I doubt this will be an issue, since very few computers are sold with Vista nowadays, you'd be making a HUGE mistake if you chose Vista over Windows 8.

It doesn't matter how much you hate Windows 8. Vista is slow as heck. If you have a well-specced computer you may not notice how slow it is until you install Windows 7 or 8, but when you do, it will suddenly become clear just how much Vista was holding your computer back.

You say you play games. Games will run insanely better under Windows 7 (and even better under 8, but it's not as big a difference).

Bottom line: avoid Vista. Get Windows 7, 8, XP, 2000, OS X, Linux, ANYTHING that's not Vista.

I'm hardly an expert, but I've been thinking for a while now that if I was to buy a Windows computer, I'd probably get a Gateway. All of their computers seem pretty well-specced for the price.

Edit:
It does, however, look like they come with Windows 8. I think that's probably going to be the case anywhere though...

Is your issue that you don't like Metro, or that you have ideological issues with MS's attempt to close off the Windows platform? If you just hate Metro, you can use start8 to bring back the start menu and make it so you effectively never have to see the Metro UI. One advantage is that Windows 8 _DOES_ have better performance than Windows 7.

If you have ideological issues (as I do to an extent), you may have to purchase a copy of Windows 7. Which sucks, but... what can you do?

Edit2:
Oh wait, you want a laptop, not a desktop. I've used Gateway's laptops and they suck, IMO. So ignore everything I said. Although I still think you may have trouble finding something with Windows 7.
Newah

Post by Newah »

Hmmm... Good laptops are hard to come by, and I myself wouldn't waste my time with a gaming laptop, but rather a gaming PC. If you want a laptop, get a cheap one that can do basic tasks and run applications you may need, but save the gaming for a PC, which is what it would run best on anyways. Not to mention you would save tons of monay.
winningkill

Post by winningkill »

Check this.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Do you *really* need the portability? Building yourself a computer can give you way better results and can come out much cheaper than buying one from an OEM, IF you are going to play lots of games on it.

So if you want to game, I think that is the way to go. If you're just a casual gamer and most of the stuff you do is just browse the web something with like an i5 processor (to be able to play some games smoothly) and 4gb min. RAM should do the job for you.
winningkill

Post by winningkill »

bionicnacho wrote:Do you *really* need the portability? Building yourself a computer can give you way better results and can come out much cheaper than buying one from an OEM, IF you are going to play lots of games on it.

So if you want to game, I think that is the way to go. If you're just a casual gamer and most of the stuff you do is just browse the web something with like an i5 processor (to be able to play some games smoothly) and 4gb min. RAM should do the job for you.
I have a windows 7, i5 processor and 8gb of RAM and I can't play mine craft, because of lag.