The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Improving Irc Bot Speech

Phones, computers, tablets, and all other forms of electronic wizardry
Sebastian Lawe
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Improving Irc Bot Speech

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

A while back I got an IRC bot up and running that can talk to other users. Now that people have gotten to use it, I thought it would be good to ask what should be done to improve its speech.

First however, I'd like to add that I'm also overhauling the speech API and re-writing it so it can learn from users. This means that for the first little while, my bot will be completely stupid and socially challenged using the new API. The old API suffered this for the first few months until enough phrases were added (even though it still messes up at odd times), so the same will go for the new API (I'll need users other than myself to help it learn though).

So, what should be done to further improve the speech API from what it currently is?
Leave a comment below.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Sorry for not replying! I haven't noticed this thread!

Perhaps having built in recognized words - so say if the person asks a question that includes the word joke in it, the bot knows to respond with a joke. Or perhaps if a person hasn't spoken for a while the bot will attempt to make "small talk" by asking questions about the weather or last nights game.