The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

A Quick Question About Hotkeys

Phones, computers, tablets, and all other forms of electronic wizardry
ElectroYoshi
Design Competitions Voted: 1

A Quick Question About Hotkeys

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Y'see, at the moment I use a laptop where the hotekys do these things:
Spoiler
F1 = Windows Help
F2 = Brightness Down
F3 = Brightness Up
F4 = Screen Settings
F5 = Refresh
F6 = Rewind
F7 = Play/Pause
F8 = Fast Forward
F9 = Volume Down
F10 = Volume Up
F11 = Mute
F12 = Wireless
Is it at all possible to change this? This kind of defeats the purpose of hotkeys, so I'd like to change that if I can.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
DvChayz

Post by DvChayz »

Not on your computer, no, the shortcuts are part of the keyboard, so you'll have to figure out some way to edit your keyboard.
EyceKubes

Post by EyceKubes »

I have the same exact keyboard layout and it really bothers me... especially when im playing games because it have to press the function key everytime i want to press F3, for example. If anyone has a solution to this... PLEASE HELP US!!!
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

EyceKubes wrote:I have the same exact keyboard layout and it really bothers me... especially when im playing games because it have to press the function key everytime i want to press F3, for example. If anyone has a solution to this... PLEASE HELP US!!!
Amen to that. Why do those kinds of hotkeys even exist? It's the whole reason I haven't been able to design on GameGlobe yet. And my sister's laptop has completely separate buttons for all those things, which I think is way more practical.
EyceKubes

Post by EyceKubes »

ElectroYoshi wrote:Amen to that. Why do those kinds of hotkeys even exist? It's the whole reason I haven't been able to design on GameGlobe yet. And my sister's laptop has completely separate buttons for all those things, which I think is way more practical.
Agreed. The only buttons I ever use are the volume keys. It'd be much more practical if they were separate, like you said.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

EyceKubes wrote:Agreed. The only buttons I ever use are the volume keys. It'd be much more practical if they were separate, like you said.
Totally. Even if there were a reason for hotkeys that do those things (and that's a big if), efficiency is the biggest factor in computer design.
Swords761

Post by Swords761 »

EyceKubes wrote:I have the same exact keyboard layout and it really bothers me... especially when im playing games because it have to press the function key everytime i want to press F3, for example. If anyone has a solution to this... PLEASE HELP US!!!
On a Macintosh, you can change it so your function keys behave normally and are not tied to a specific action like volume, wireless, etc. Just check your keyboard settings.
With Windows, there is less luck unless you can find a similar option at the BIOS in your computer.
ElectroYoshi wrote:Totally. Even if there were a reason for hotkeys that do those things (and that's a big if), efficiency is the biggest factor in computer design.
It's funny because the whole reason why they've associated those pre-defined computer functions to the function keys is exactly for efficiency, as well as space on a laptop keyboard. It's supposedly now the new standard on Apple keyboards, but I don't believe a cheap, standard USB keyboard (or frankly any Windows keyboard that isn't too fancy/made by Logitech) would be messing with your function keys if that option interests you.