The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

New Computer Help

Phones, computers, tablets, and all other forms of electronic wizardry
EyceKubes

New Computer Help

Post by EyceKubes »

Hai guys!

So just recently I bought parts to build my own desktop and I have since received and assembled them. The PC works great and it's fast and looks good... but I'm having one major problem. You see... I bought a 64GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. My reasoning behind this decision is so that I could install the OS (Windows 7) on the SSD and have EVERYTHING else on the HDD. That includes the Program Files, Program Files (x86), Users, ect. directories on a separate partition (in this case, the HDD) and have ONLY the OS on the other (SSD).

I've done a bunch of research so I could attempt to establish this configuration but I've had no luck so far. I know of the Registry Edit location for where you can change the default location of everything, but I tried that and screwed up a few things.

Just a while ago, I found this forum post on some random site explaining something that looks like to be the problem I'm having. However, I don't know if it's exactly what I'm looking for. If any of you guys can help me with this, it'd be greatly appreciated. I love this new PC but I want a chance to use it to the extent I want to use it! Thanks!

Here's the link to the forum post. It's by this guy "n0th1n9" so look for that. goo.gl/ysPMH

Oh and if anyone wants to know my specs:
Spoiler
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer
SSD: ADATA Premier Pro 64GB
HDD: Western Digital Blue 1 TB
RAM: Corsair 2 x 4GB XMS3 Desktop
PSU: Apevia ATX-CB700W
Motherboard: GIGABITE GA-Z77X-UP4
Graphics: XFX DoubleD Radeon HD 7870 2GB
CPU: Intel Core i5 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz
Monitor: HP W2072a 20" 5ms Widescreen
EDIT: Why can't I name the Thread "New PC Help"??? It lowercases the "C" automatically and it's bothering me.
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

The forum is set to automatically capitalize (only) the first letter of each word. While it sometimes causes oddities such as "PC" being changed to "Pc", it makes the list of topics much cleaner overall.

Anyway, I would recommend keeping the program files, users, etc on the same hard disk that you installed Windows too. While there may be tweaks that will let you put them on separate drives, Windows isn't set up to work this way, and it'll no doubt cause some programs to freak out.

64GB is a decent amount of space. I'd recommend just letting Windows install itself to the SSD, and then when you install programs, change the installation directory to a folder on your 1tb drive. It's a bit of pain, but it's a MUCH cleaner configuration that won't cause issues down the road.