The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Rom Corrupting

Phones, computers, tablets, and all other forms of electronic wizardry
ThatOneFox
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Rom Corrupting

Post by ThatOneFox »

I've recently decided to try my hand at ROM corrupting. What ROM corrupting does is it changes bytes in a ROM file to other values, causing strange oddities such as graphical glitches. I am using THIS corrupter to edit files.
I need some help with EPSXE roms as one of two things happen when I use it on them.
1. The game starts normally with no errors.
2. The game does not start.

Can someone give me any advice?
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Funnily enough I just recently attempted something very similar. Less funny is that I ended with the same results. I would sugguest possibly getting an account over on vinesauce and perhaps posting around there, perhaps just read through some of the existing threads and I am sure many beginners have this problem.
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

I have managed to get it working on Gens, but not on EPSXE... I think it is because the maximum byte value of PS1 games is larger than what the corrupter supports.
Frustr8TOR

Post by Frustr8TOR »

I think the corruptor was only tested with NES, SNES and N64. It should work with every ROM, but keep in mind that the bigger the ROM, the bigger the start value should be and the smaller the "corrupt every x byte" value should be. I have messed around with it, and successfully corrupted a N64 game, but it is quite difficult to get a good result because it is random. If the game doesn't work try increasing the start value and try the "replace x with x" corruption method. I found that games were less likely to crash with that method.
turkeylurkey

Post by turkeylurkey »

Well you're using a ROM corrupter on an ISO, which works totally different. Find a different tool or something. Find a tool that will work on an ISO, if such a thing exists.
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

turkeylurkey wrote:Well you're using a ROM corrupter on an ISO, which works totally different. Find a different tool or something. Find a tool that will work on an ISO, if such a thing exists.
I'm not using it on ISO files. I've figured the issue though, the ROM is too large for the corruption software.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

What games do you have in mind for next time, StreetLights? I actually quite look forward to your next endeavor!
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Well, I have just done one of sonic and knuckles...
http://www.mediafire.com/?2csblvs1xy94jxk