The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Am I Gaining Anything By Having An Iphone?

Phones, computers, tablets, and all other forms of electronic wizardry

Should I trade my iPhone in for a more traditional phone?

No
50%
No
38%
No
13%

Total votes: 8

ElectroYoshi
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Am I Gaining Anything By Having An Iphone?

Post by ElectroYoshi »

So this summer my mom was finally able to give T-Mobile the ax and set us up with a new family plan with Sprint, and we all have iPhones now (Specifically the 4S). But the thing is, I already have an iPod Touch, and it's got twice as many GBs (My iPhone has 16 and my iPod has 32). I do a lot on my iPod, I have a lot of games, several additional utilities, and over 600 songs on it. Since an iPhone is basically just an iPod Touch that can make calls, I'm having a hard time getting into my iPhone. Also, I always take my phone to school with me and I usually bring my iPod too because my teachers periodically give us permission to listen to music in class, and I feel like it's gonna be a huge pain in the neck to lug around both those things at once when school starts back up (Which is this coming Wednesday for me). I was talking to my mom about this while I was watching The Big Bang Theory tonight, and she told me that I can still back out and get a more traditional phone if I can make the decision in two weeks.

So here's the big question: Am I really gaining anything from having an iPhone and an iPod Touch? Or am I just creating more work for myself? Because my mom waited a long time for this and she had to go to a ton of trouble to get my old T-Mobile number transferred to my iPhone and I don't want to subject her to that again, but at the same time I'm having trouble figuring out how this thing would really benefit me.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
tta

Post by tta »

tl;dr

android

that is my final answere
Wazi

Post by Wazi »

tta wrote:tl;dr

android

that is my final answere
lolno

get the one with butons
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

I don't know if he was quite looking for a brand recommendation but rather justification for ditching or keeping his new phone :P To be honest it seems silly to me to have both, as you stated they are very similar. My brothers girlfriend, who happens to live with us has both the iPhone and iPod touch. Similarly she has a hard time justifying bringing both with her to work and as such usually just puts her music on her phone and leaves the iPod for their daughter. For you with the large storage difference it is a hard choice you have to make "Does the extra storage justify the extra weight?" Why not try taking both out for a day and see if it is really an inconvenience carrying both around whilst going about your day.
tta

Post by tta »

Wazi wrote:lolno

get the one with butons
loliguess

get the latest out of the "Motorola Droid" line
DvChayz

Post by DvChayz »

stick with i iphone
Sebastian Lawe
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

I'm not sure about iphones, but there are some phones that can share music via Bluetooth connection. See if there's any way you can share data between both devices.
Lemon
Editorial Staff

Post by Lemon »

I just made the switch and have been nothing but pleased.

I have an ipod touch too, but the truly mobile aspect of the iphone is awesome.
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Trust me, android devices are thousands of times better than apple ones. You can do so much more with them.
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
Sebastian Lawe

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

StreetLights wrote:Trust me, android devices are thousands of times better than apple ones. You can do so much more with them.
My android tablet has the exact IOS launch screen via Espier Launcher. When people ask if its an ipad mini, I simply tell them it doesn't have an apple on the back of it.
tta

Post by tta »

nobody listens to tta the first time

*sits in corner*
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

tta wrote:nobody listens to tta the first time

*sits in corner*
Aw, I'm sorry!

Yeah, I've had an android for a while. Beside the occasional glitches here and there it really doesn't have that many problems. Also, the amount of apps for it are pretty lovely! However I'm still going to stick with my answer and say give it some time and see if you like it, Electro!
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

It sounds like you're not trying to decide between iPhone and an Android phone... your deciding between an iPhone or a non-smart phone, right?

Smartphones cost a lot more. It's not just the $200 upfront... the plan itself is much more expensive than with a non-smartphone because you have to pay for data. But then, you're not paying for it, and since you're on a family plan I'm guessing your parents aren't wouldn't be paying that much more either.

So... go for the iPhone. There's no real downside. They make calls just as well as a normal phone would, they're not that much larger than your standard phone... so why not?

Consider this, there are two possible scenarios:
1) You carry around an iPhone and an iPod Touch all day
2) You carry around a non-smartphone and an iPod Touch all day.

Either way, you're going to be carrying around two devices... Might as well make one of those an iPhone. You may never want use your phone to check Twitter or browse the web... but you also might, some day, so take the iPhone just in case.

Also, I think you tried to explain this in your first post but I didn't really understand... why exactly can't you use your iPhone for all the things you used to use your iPod Touch for and leave your iPod Touch at home?
Sebastian Lawe

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

Wowfunhappy wrote: Also, I think you tried to explain this in your first post but I didn't really understand... why exactly can't you use your iPhone for all the things you used to use your iPod Touch for and leave your iPod Touch at home?
I believe the issue is that his iPod has 32gb of space, and the iPhone has 16gb of space. Which means, he wouldn't be able to transfer all his music which is on his iPod to the iPhone. He's also further progressed on games with his iPod. With that scenario, he will be wanting to use his iPod more than his iPhone. Since they are both technically the same device, one could potentially be changed for something different.
luke5227

Post by luke5227 »

You're gaining an iPhone.
</Thread>
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Wowfunhappy wrote:Also, I think you tried to explain this in your first post but I didn't really understand... why exactly can't you use your iPhone for all the things you used to use your iPod Touch for and leave your iPod Touch at home?
Sebastien answered your question for the most part, although there is one other thing I think needs addressing. I've used up about 12 GBs of data on my iPod, so I have 20 more that I can use. If this were my iPhone, That would only leave me with 4 more GBs. If I'm going to keep doing what I like to do on my iDevices, 20 GBs will keep me going a lot longer than 4 will.

Edit: Alright, it's not looking like I'm gonna keep this thing, and let me explain why. I had my iPod and my iPhone with me at school today and after school I felt my phone vibrating, so I fished it out of the pocket of my jeans to answer it. I stood there for about five minutes saying "HELLOOOOO?!?!" into it because no one was answering, and I was calling a surprisingly high amount of attention.

Then I suddenly remembered I had put my iPhone in the pocket of my shirt.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
totaldile

Post by totaldile »

Tbh, sell both the ipod AND the iphone.
Then get a 32g or 64g iphone.
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Or an android...
totaldile

Post by totaldile »

StreetLights wrote:Or an android...
Eeeeehhh....I don't have a high-grade one, but I find I prefer to use my mum's iPhone than my android.
People say Android is better, but they never really say why :/
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Why is it better? Because it has a cleaner look to it, it's linux based, you can write your own apps for it without them being approved by a higher body, it supports your device forever. Etc etc.