The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Song Illustrator - Launchpad Controller

Share your creative endeavors
Sebastian Lawe
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Song Illustrator - Launchpad Controller

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

Hello everyone,
For the past while I've been working on a program that simplifies the process of making Launchpad visuals. I plan on releasing an Alpha build of the program for people to try once everything is set. The program essentially treats the Launchpad as if its just a display, and uses the concept of still frames and millisecond delays rather than a piano roll.
I've uploaded some quick demonstration videos, and will create some tutorials if there is any interest in this utility.
[media=youtube]jU9_wV2KfJM[/media]
[media=youtube]fUiKIIg_7sY[/media]
  • Song Illlustrator outputs live MIDI to a DAW (and is dependant on a DAW to direct messages to the Launchpad).
  • Song Illlustrator supports MIDI input from a DAW, if you want to mirror Launchpad clips on a bigger screen.
  • Song Illlustrator can also use multiple Launchpads to display an animation (if you happen to have more than one Launchpad).
  • Song Illlustrator does not prevent the Launchpad itself from being used as an input device while an animation plays.
  • Song Illustrator works as a MIDI input device, and can have its MIDI output recorded by your DAW. Usefull for when you're setting up animations that will trigger on programmed buttons.
I've mainly been testing this program with FL Studio, and am only assuming it will work with Ableton as well. Its a standalone app that works as a virtual MIDI hardware device. The program creates a separate virtual ports for each Launchpad you want it to control.
Mainly sharing this to see if its worth continuing the project. Other features I'd like to add is the ability to edit existing MIDI Lighshows, as well as the ability to import animated GIF images. If there is a demand for an application like this, I'll definately make this the best tool possible.