The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

I Made An Alphabet

Share your creative endeavors
Rabbidfan236
Design Competitions Voted: 1

I Made An Alphabet

Post by Rabbidfan236 »

Don't ask me why, I was bored.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Oh~ that's really neat! In fact the condensing of digraphs would make the English language so much more efficient.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

WHY WOULD YOU SWITCH B AND P?

This is really cool though!
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
Rabbidfan236

Post by Rabbidfan236 »

Entity wrote:WHY WOULD YOU SWITCH B AND P?

The stems going up indicate a voiceless fricative, while the stems going down indicate a voiced fricative.

For example, the T sound is pronounced without the vocal chords, so the stem goes up, while the D sound is pronounced with the vocal chords, and the stem goes down.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

I really do quite like the designs you made, Rabbid! On a slightly similar tangent~ have you heard of the alternative English alphabet quickscript?
Rabbidfan236

Post by Rabbidfan236 »

Just looked it up now. It seems like it has a few repeated sounds in it that I can't distinguish from each other- what's the difference between calm and haul?
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

I don't want to derail the whole thread to be about specifics of a topic outside of your creation. For the curious, I think it depends a bit on regional pronunciation. Various areas will have merged the two sounds in question. For example, in IPA the are /kä(l)m/ and /hôl/ With the ä symbol for instance in the word "font" and ô represented in the pronunciation of ought. However in some accents, these all might be said with the same vowel. As such, font, calm, ought and haul will all be said the same way.

Similarly, the quickscript alphabet has a [wh] along with a [w] Which are used for words such as where and wear, respectively. In my accent, the sound at the beginning of where and wear are the exact same sound and thus the words are said the same way. I know that said pronunciation isn't universal, some areas have a bit of an [h] sound before saying where. Thus making the separate symbol necessary for clarity.
Rabbidfan236

Post by Rabbidfan236 »

I suppose there can be a slight difference in some dialects. I'm trying to keep things fairly simple; as you can see I already have eight vowels. Something I've just realized as well is that none of them really express the o sound in more, so I guess I could leave a bit of leeway for how they're pronounced in cases like that.