The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Level Designer Prototype

Share your creative endeavors
Dan

Level Designer Prototype

Post by Dan »

I just want to show some of my work.
Basically I tried many Level Builder but none of them gave me the freedom I wanted.
So I programmed my own.
Please ignore the UI it is just functional at the moment for testing and dev purposes :)

The game has no name yet :)
Engine: Unity3D
Character Model: Sintel, will be replaced by DAZ3D Chibi models

Buttons:
Off: Just turns the editor mode off
BPlace: Place a block shape
Delete: Deletes block or prefab
Change: Changes texture of a block shape
Inspect: Loads the target block or prefab into active block (click on a block and you can copy it)
PPlace: Place a prefab (object interactive or non-interactive [chairs, candles, doors, switches, traps ...])

Snap XYZ: Switches off the grid and you can place an object with 0.01m precision.
Advanced Mode: Switches X and Z grid off and sets rotatation to 9degrees

Save: Saves level to XML
Load: Loads level from XML

1st Screen:
You can see 8 Basic Shapes and 8 Basic Materials, the Shapes can be scaled from 0.01m to 20m and rotated 90degrees in every direction. Blocks and materials can be combined in every manner.
As long as Advanced mode is off and/or Snap Settings are on the Grid is scaled to the active objects bounding box

2nd Screen:
A scaled cube as ground layer.

3rd Screen:
A gate build with cubes and slopes, editor is in delete mode

4th Screen:
Building with Advanced Mode off

5th Screen:
Building with Advanced Mode on

At the moment I am working on a nice UI System.
Comments and feedback are welcome on this very early project :)

P.S.
I am living in Germany since 10 years, so please excuse chaotic capitals and/or grammar.
Sebastian Lawe
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

Looks pretty nifty. I'm still debating on whether or not I'll be adding a level designer to my game.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

It looks really nice so far! Interested in seeing a demo on how the actual building process is like.

Also, what purpose does this level maker serve? Will you be able to export these or add playability in some way?
Dan

Post by Dan »

bionicnacho wrote:It looks really nice so far! Interested in seeing a demo on how the actual building process is like.

Also, what purpose does this level maker serve? Will you be able to export these or add playability in some way?
It will be part of my game that I am working on. due to the XML format I can easily save the levels into a database and let other people play them.
User will be able to select the theme [Underground, Woods, Island, ... etc] and a Final Task [Reach point X, slay Y, Follow Z, Rescue .. etc]. and design and upload their dungeon. On top of that I am creating a storyline for the users to play and earn special blocks, materials, prefabs (Like: "do Goblins storyline and get a Goblin Spawner for your Dungeon").
Uploaded and approved Dungeons will be avaiable for other players in a lobby style menu.
A smaller version of the level designer will be a blueprint designer to save and share own creations of small assets (Look at the fancy house I build).
Editor will be offline, game needs internet connection due to database connection and additional cheat protection.