The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Atmosphir Server Dev - Updated 4/19/2014

General discussion about Atmosphir.
Entity
Editorial Staff
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by Entity »

UC101 wrote:We should get these features fixed up and brought into the normal version
Baufritz wrote:No(t yet), because that would be part of the client, and although we have the source code, we're not able to make changes to it and then recompile the client.
The devs are only able to do anything on the server side at the moment.
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
UC101

Post by UC101 »

[quote="Entity"][/quote]
aren't there any ways to crack or brute-force deobfuscate the source?
We are anomalous.
We are region.
Forgive and forget.
Expecto patronum.
:?:
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

UC101 wrote:aren't there any ways to crack or brute-force deobfuscate the source?
Yep, they've been able to decompile the whole game and have all the code, however editing it to add new features is not an easy task, since the Unity Project files used to make the game and compile it and whatnot aren't available.
Swords761

Post by Swords761 »

bionicnacho wrote:Yep, they've been able to decompile the whole game and have all the code, however editing it to add new features is not an easy task, since the Unity Project files used to make the game and compile it and whatnot aren't available.
It's quite likely that in order to actually make new builds of the client, they're going to have to remake the whole game project in Unity from scratch, and just re-enter the code as needed. The time/work that involves may or may not be worth it.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Do you mean in order to recompile changes they've made? Unity certainly doesn't make it easy to make changes, all that considering I am fairly proud of what has been able to be done. Such as enabling users to sign-up and upload levels, which wasn't that done purely on the server side? As well as, I heard something about the shop being heavily worked on but we just hadn't decided how to handle the purchasing of items - or something like that..
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Swords761 wrote:It's quite likely that in order to actually make new builds of the client, they're going to have to remake the whole game project in Unity from scratch, and just re-enter the code as needed. The time/work that involves may or may not be worth it.
That would actually be quite a hard task. Inputting the code is not the hard part, it's placing the assets in the right place, setting up all the gameobjects correctly, applying the correct scripts to the correct GameObjects, which scenes are needed, what the scenes are named, that wouldn't be easy at all and take a lot of time to do.
freekboy31

Post by freekboy31 »

Looking forward for updates.
:crate: :atmobot: coming soon..... :sentrybot:
:brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :monkeyblock: :brickblock: :brickblock:
:brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock:

Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

I will perhaps check in with Nin or Swords and see if they've been up to anything lately :)
Swords761

Post by Swords761 »

bionicnacho wrote:That would actually be quite a hard task. Inputting the code is not the hard part, it's placing the assets in the right place, setting up all the gameobjects correctly, applying the correct scripts to the correct GameObjects, which scenes are needed, what the scenes are named, that wouldn't be easy at all and take a lot of time to do.
This is my point; the code would be the easy part as can be copy/pasted as needed, or rewritten from inspiration.
Phantomboy wrote:I will perhaps check in with Nin or Swords Entity and see if they've been up to anything lately :)
Although I am flattered you wrote my name xD
Good lord I do not want to ever attempt rebuilding this game from scratch (client side).
Every change the guys have been working on has been able to be handled server-side with relative ease, it's really the frontend stuff like new features and fixing visible game bugs that I'm pretty sure has a long road to go, if it'll ever be worked on.
faultydex

Post by faultydex »

Is there a different place where i should install for this
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

[quote="faultydex"][/quote]
What I did was simply made two folders, so in "Programs" I had "Atmosphir" and "Atmosphir Dev" or something like that :)
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

faultydex wrote:Is there a different place where i should install for this
Not really, just download and launch!
freekboy31

Post by freekboy31 »

Wish they find a gem to make multiplayer feature work again... even if hosting a game would require some sort of software (portforwarding, hamachi, etc.) at least for a while.
:crate: :atmobot: coming soon..... :sentrybot:
:brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :monkeyblock: :brickblock: :brickblock:
:brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock:

UC101

Post by UC101 »

At this point, it would probably be easier to re-write the game from scratch than to try and get multiplayer and everything else working.
We are anomalous.
We are region.
Forgive and forget.
Expecto patronum.
:?:
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

UC101 wrote:At this point, it would probably be easier to re-write the game from scratch than to try and get multiplayer and everything else working.

I agree
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

If I am remembering correctly, wasn't character customisation working for those fiddling with the code but we paused that until we figured out how we wanted to handle atmos? If that is the case, give the long gap/break in schedule for everyone-- maybe we should unlock the stores items and just let people use them in the mean while.. Again, I can't remember exactly if we reached a working stage for unlocking customisation items or not, but if so~ that would be nice for those just playing around.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Yep, I remember Nin or Kroltan mentioning to me on a skype chat that he had gotten it to work
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

I will put my two metaphorical votes in the "open-it-to-all" ballot box~ simply because, I feel attempting to create specific events of giving out atmos, or some kind of rewards structure is a bit out of our range..
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Phantomboy wrote:I will put my two metaphorical votes in the "open-it-to-all" ballot box~
Nice metaphor. :P

But seriously, given the hiatus we've been on the past few months, I would personally be in favor of opening it to everyone, but I also think it'd be a good idea to settle for a faster and more temporary solution until we're able to pull that off.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

I think the issue is that martin has revealed voxelus, and now we're just waiting for that. Face it though, it's not going to be atmosphir. I'm not doubting that it'll be good, but it won't be the same game.
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull: