The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Atmosphir And Unity

General discussion about Atmosphir.
zardini001
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Atmosphir And Unity

Post by zardini001 »

Hello there OMB! Im zardini001 a.k.a zaster001 before Atmosphir died (I had one LOTD back then!) and a.k.a Zaster001 in the new Atmosphir with OMB.

Atmosphir is made in the Unity 3D game engine (as everyone knows), and a cool thing is that Ive been programming in Unity 3D for the past 3 years or so, and I know a crap-load of JS and C# in unity (not Boo (boohoo)).

I believe that the above text nobody cares about, so I will get down to the real stuffs I want to post about.

Recently, I have contacted Dave Werner about getting source code from Atmosphir, but because Atmosphir is held under Minor Studios, I asked him for contact info to Minor Studios. I am awaiting response, but I will post when Dave replies with info.

My plan is: to get the source code and then possibly collaborate with Nin and peoples and help them recreate Atmosphir built with the custom server, and with all of the store stuff all fixed.

It would be nice to help you guys rebuild Atmosphir, because when Atmosphir died in 2012, ever since then I really wanted to play Atmosphir again with everything back, including Multiplayer, uploading of levels, character store, and etc.

I can't wait to see Atmosphir restored to the olden days in 2012.

Bless you all in OMB for helping recreating Atmosphir.
Baufritz
Location: Trapped on a huge round rock hurtling with immense speeds around a fiery star.
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Post by Baufritz »

Well, the level browser already works, and as far as I know, the source code is already available...
If it's broken, fix it.
If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Baufritz wrote:Well, the level browser already works, and as far as I know, the source code is already available...
The source code itself is, the assets and unity project files are not.
Wazi

Post by Wazi »

It wasn't just 2012 that were the good olden days ;_;
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Seeing as MiSt essentially drowned in debt and died (Whoa, nice alliteration...), it's kind of a long shot to even get in contact with them, let alone get the source code out of them. I think actual content can still be added to the game without the source code, but iirc, it would be more of a workaround process unless you had it.

But if you could get the source code from MiSt somehow... That would be BEYOND incredible!
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Well, MiSt is basically non existent at this point. The bank probably owns everything now because of Halsey's bankruptcy thing.
zardini001

Post by zardini001 »

bionicnacho wrote:The source code itself is, the assets and unity project files are not.
Where can I find the source code? Because I don't really need the project and assets themselves. I could read the code and figure out what each script does, and how it interacts with other scripts and the world objects.

But yeah, that is a problem. Without the assets and unity project, the scripts I modify won't do crap until its compiled with the whole project, then into a application for OMB to enjoy.
papaya

Post by papaya »

we have a working level upload system already, everything works except designing characters and playing multiplayer, both of which weren't that great in atmosphir anyway.

in other words, we don't really need your help
zardini001

Post by zardini001 »

papaya wrote:we have a working level upload system already, everything works except designing characters and playing multiplayer, both of which weren't that great in atmosphir anyway.

Yes I understand. I kind of disagree with how designing characters and playing multiplayer weren't that great. Designing characters is a huge part of any game. If you can design characters, it allows for more of a free type of gameplay. If you can't customize your character in a game thats about customization, then whats the point?

Multiplayer was an aspect of Atmosphir that many people loved including me and my friends. For most racing levels, its more fun when you can race other people because most racing games are more fun if you aren't by yourself. Same thing goes with most levels in general. Fighting/shooter games are fun for awhile when you play the campaign, but when you finish the campaign, you want to play with friends on maps you know and love.

Also with skills of reverse engineering, I could help Nin and peoples with figuring out how to allow everything that used to be in Atmosphir work again. There is a lot that Nin has to do on the server side to allow things to work again. But with multiplayer and character customization, there is a little more on the client side that is needed to change.
kroltan
Developer

Post by kroltan »

Right now we just use standard C# reflection tools to inspect the (compiled) source of the assemblies. The only tool that completely reflects the code is Reflector 7, which is a paid application. Other tools seem to not find half the code, thanks to Unity's simplistic anti-reverse-engineering techniques at build time. We don't actually modify the game, we only rerouted its web requests to a custom server we've built.
Multiplayer may be a beast, but not on the clientside. Nin is working on a lanucher which will allow us to do more extensive configuration (e.g. set up a dns redirect if the IP is hardcoded in the game). The real pain will be building a server that can communicate with Unity's.

But if you want to help, I suggest talking with Nin (via PM on this forum) and showing him some of your skills.
zardini001

Post by zardini001 »

kroltan wrote:Right now we just use standard C# reflection tools to inspect the (compiled) source of the assemblies. The only tool that completely reflects the code is Reflector 7, which is a paid application. Other tools seem to not find half the code, thanks to Unity's simplistic anti-reverse-engineering techniques at build time. We don't actually modify the game, we only rerouted its web requests to a custom server we've built.
Multiplayer may be a beast, but not on the clientside. Nin is working on a lanucher which will allow us to do more extensive configuration (e.g. set up a dns redirect if the IP is hardcoded in the game). The real pain will be building a server that can communicate with Unity's.

But if you want to help, I suggest talking with Nin (via PM on this forum) and showing him some of your skills.
Very cool! Yes, I actually know a good load about Unity's Networking. If I do some more research with Atmosphir's multiplayer, I could potentially make a application that can run on the server side of multiplayer that allows basic multiplayer connections between clients at the server side (as Atmosphir has done it in the past). I just need the source code of Atmosphir's multiplayer in the application side, and I could make the application or whatever I described above. If I'm not mistaken, Atmosphir uses Unity's built in Networking API, so if you want clients to connect with the server for multiplayer, your gonna have to use Unity's Networking in an application.

If I could get Atmosphir's Unity project, I could also make it so dedicated Atmosphirians can start their own multiplayer server on their side using port forwarding.
kroltan
Developer

Post by kroltan »

zardini001 wrote:Very cool! Yes, I actually know a good load about Unity's Networking. If I do some more research with Atmosphir's multiplayer, I could potentially make a application that can run on the server side of multiplayer that allows basic multiplayer connections between clients at the server side (as Atmosphir has done it in the past). I just need the source code of Atmosphir's multiplayer in the application side, and I could make the application or whatever I described above. If I'm not mistaken, Atmosphir uses Unity's built in Networking API, so if you want clients to connect with the server for multiplayer, your gonna have to use Unity's Networking in an application.

If I could get Atmosphir's Unity project, I could also make it so dedicated Atmosphirians can start their own multiplayer server on their side using port forwarding.
You see, we don't have the Atmosphir project. If we did, it would be billions of times easier to do all the work.
To read the game's code, download a tool (such as Reflector 7, I believe it has a trial period) and open the Assembly-CSharp.dll contained in the game folder (do not mistake with the launcher's identically named file).
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

Actually, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm 95% sure that Atmosphir multiplayer was PTP. The only thing we have to implement would be keeping track of the servers currently being run.
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
zardini001

Post by zardini001 »

Entity wrote:Actually, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm 95% sure that Atmosphir multiplayer was PTP. The only thing we have to implement would be keeping track of the servers currently being run.

Im not to sure, but all multiplayer games that uses unity mostly use the built in Networking API
kroltan
Developer

Post by kroltan »

zardini001 wrote:Im not to sure, but all multiplayer games that uses unity mostly use the built in Networking API
Well, the Networking API is peer-to-peer. It has a master server that registers sessions, and users connect to these sessions with data given by the master server.
zardini001

Post by zardini001 »

kroltan wrote:Well, the Networking API is peer-to-peer. It has a master server that registers sessions, and users connect to these sessions with data given by the master server.

Yeah and so to recreate Atmosphir's Multiplayer, you recreate the Master Server on the main server. (insert more complicated explanation here)
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Actually, Atmosphir utilized Photon Networking as their solution. I know this for a fact because of a session they had at Unity's Unite conference (2010, I think) which I watched. Maybe you should look for that, zardini, and see if what they described about what they did on the server can help you.
kroltan
Developer

Post by kroltan »

AFAIK, Photon wasn't implemented in the normal version, but the dev version has a Photon multiplayer option.
Jamesski

Post by Jamesski »

I'm back...
papaya wrote:we have a working level upload system already, everything works except designing characters and playing multiplayer, both of which weren't that great in atmosphir anyway.

anyway, i would like the car feature to work, the others we don't need
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

Jamesski wrote:I'm back...

anyway, i would like the car feature to work, the others we don't need
Hey, it's good to have you back!

I think Nin is working on the player store, so we should have cars working when that gets done.
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: