The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

On The Subject Of Atmosphir.

General discussion about Atmosphir.
RetroBandit
Design Competitions Voted: 0

On The Subject Of Atmosphir.

Post by RetroBandit »

Remember summer 2014, that was a nice time to be on the forums.
But now, it's a waste land. No one posts anymore, the only alert I had in ages is when that one mod told me to go away after I notified him that the level was finished. Where is everyone, WowFunHappy, Entity, pappaya, where is the long time users that made this forum shine? Every month or so I check the forums here, seeing if the people were still regularly posting on the forum.
But just like atmosphir, this forum is dead. Hopefully a fan site will come and revive it and host the files.

I just hope that this forum will blossum over the summer when the school kids have more free time.
Good day to everyone, this will be a thread to discuss the future of atmosphir and this forum.
Let the flame wars commence!
I think I am flying?
ThatOneFox
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ThatOneFox »

tl;dr
people have lives to attend so can't work on a 7 year old game anymore.

Activity normally picks up in the summer as that's when most of us have the most time. In regards to atmosphir, there have been attempts to get multiplayer working but the game needs a proprietary server which we don't have access to.

Also, a lot of the regular users are now 17/18 and above and have more important things to do in their lives than trying to revive a 7 year old videogame. In the UK, we are taking our exams for college, so that's the vast quantity of me and papaya's time gone, and i reckon the situation would be similar for those in other countries. Baufritz is working at a hospital, and adz/wowfun also probably have jobs that take up their time.

Good day to everyone.
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Yeah, I just finished exams but I'm currently involved in 6 different projects and working every day , so I'm pretty busy on my end
Baufritz
Location: Trapped on a huge round rock hurtling with immense speeds around a fiery star.
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Post by Baufritz »

I have some unfinished drafts, but I just don't have the time (and motivation, tbh what's the point of designing a level if no one plays it) to finish them. I am currently working 50 hours a week in civil service for the red cross, so don't expect lots of posts from me.

There's a couple of us left in the OneMoreSkype group, if you pester StreetLights long enough and are kind to everyone, maybe he'll add you in there.
If it's broken, fix it.
If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

i wonder if all the greatest minds of our time being banned has anything to do with it

This is (mostly) a joke, I would legit like to see more activity on this forum.
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
kroltan
Developer

Post by kroltan »

Without trying to be egocentric, but I might have been one of the main reasons this forum declined. I was supposed to create a new launcher, a online level browser and to help Nin finish the server implementation. I used to have time for this back in 2012, when I was 15 (don't mind my birthdate on this forum, it's fake), but now school is much more demanding, and I have personal projects to work on that might get me a living, unlike this forum. Other than that, the server code is still public for anyonewith a basic knowledge of Git and PHP, if they want to work on it. Mind that any changes you make should be made public too, as per the license.

Right now its impossible for me to work on this, and I believe you would receive similar responses from other devs. PHP is also not a good way to make a bug-free server program.

The lack of server updates then made some people lose interest on the forum, on a cascading effect.
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Miniike wrote:i wonder if all the greatest minds of our time being banned has anything to do with it

This is (mostly) a joke, I would legit like to see more activity on this forum.
implying we didnt warn them, again and again, and gave them a final chance per your request.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Not to derail this on that side-thought, I know that several threads have existed to share the thoughts on that matter.

In terms of this thread, I don't blame kroltan at all for his lack of time. It is silly for us to demand anything out of what is entirely voluntary work. So, if you have had a hand in anything here (mods that is for you as well) Don't feel pressured or obligated to an obligation.

Perhaps this is the push I need to get into learning a bit of coding. Granted I will be dreadfully awful for a little while~ but perhaps this summer I can try and help out if I am competent at coding to a notable degree. I invite others to do the same if they 1) Have the interest and 2) Have the time.
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

StreetLights wrote:implying we didnt warn them, again and again, and gave them a final chance per your request.
you had to make this serious

bad fox, lighten up
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Phantomboy wrote:but perhaps this summer I can try and help out if I am competent at coding to a notable degree. I invite others to do the same if they 1) Have the interest and 2) Have the time.

I was actually thinking about this too. I've already got some basic coding knowledge from some classes I've taken over the past couple of years, and I'm planning to study game design after I finish high school next year anyway, so if I can get the proper knowledge in the next couple of months, I'd be willing to take a shot at it.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

The thing with reviving it though is not that much about game design, but more about reverse engineering to make things work. If it were making new things from scratch, it would be simpler, but getting old stuff to work is, imo, much more challenging.
Aflysokat

Post by Aflysokat »

I do, in fact, like cake.
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

Aflysokat wrote:I do, in fact, like cake.
No, pie.
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

bionicnacho wrote:The thing with reviving it though is not that much about game design, but more about reverse engineering to make things work. If it were making new things from scratch, it would be simpler, but getting old stuff to work is, imo, much more challenging.
Well you guys tried the whole "new engine" thing, but that didn't really work either.

Just face it, atmosphir is kill and we need to rebrand this forum into something else.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

StreetLights wrote: Just face it, atmosphir is kill and we need to rebrand this forum into something else.
I don't know if this is how everyone feels but I have often felt like, active or not, atmosphir is an aesthetic that connects us and unifies otherwise sparse interests of each member. So, even if we don't necessarily have an active game, it is still a bit of a historical symbol of the group :) At least that is my two cents
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Problems with that.
1- Atmosphir isnt coming back, so aside from a few references, it needs to be gone
2- Hardly anyone here actually plays it anymore
3- New users will have no clue what it is or how it works, hence we will get requests such as "why isn't multiplayer working", to which we will have to reply "never".
papaya

Post by papaya »

you cant really start up a forum out of nothing nowadays, theres too many established ones. There's also no way to make our forum be about a particular topic, there's again way too many other places to talk about stuff. Essentially, we need to have something that no other place talks about. Atmosphir is basically the only shot we have at that, and if something doesn't happen with it, omb is going to one day find itself belly up in the water.

What we have to rely on is that this new voxelus is something we're all interested in and can hop on board with (apparently not likely), or somehow get ahold of the full atmosphir code and then get gaming sites to talk about it and bring it back

i mean, it's worked with toontown online
kroltan
Developer

Post by kroltan »

papaya wrote:What we have to rely on is that this new voxelus is something we're all interested in and can hop on board with (apparently not likely), or somehow get ahold of the full atmosphir code and then get gaming sites to talk about it and bring it back

i mean, it's worked with toontown online
I imagine MiSt doesn't plan on opening up source code anytime soon, considering their new project is being built over Atmosphir.
Nobody asked directly about source access, but here is Martin's response when I asked him about continuing development of the server:
Of course you guys can continue with that!.. Its an honor :) There will no official support from us however because we simply can't focus on that so thats your baby :D

We will be moving away from that into something new revolving around Oculus Rift and VR. We wont be doing something like Atmosphir nor reviving Atmosphir :)
(emphasis mine)
Take your own conclusions.
papaya

Post by papaya »

then I guess we're sitting tight and twiddling our thumbs until voxelus attempt 2 comes out
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

This just REALLLLLLLLY isn't a good position to be in honestly. To me, the most frustrating part is the fact that time constraints seem to be the biggest problem right now, but if we actually had some files or source code to work with, that probably wouldn't be nearly much of an issue.

To be honest, I think it'd be best to put this whole project on the back burner until we can get these kinks worked out somehow, provided that we can at all.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.