The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Project Exosphir

General discussion about Atmosphir.
zardini001
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Project Exosphir

Post by zardini001 »

The One More Block community is amazing. Some people worked their butts off trying to reverse-engineer Atmosphir so we can play Atmosphir like we used to before the "Day of Death". The final result is heartbreaking. It is almost impossible to do much to Atmosphir because how old it is and how we don't own the source code.
I was thinking, "trying to rebuild Atmosphir is at a dead end. People have some cool ideas on how to add onto Atmosphir, but we can't. So why don't we make our own Atmosphir?" So now, introducing....

Project Exosphir
"The outer most layer of the Atmosphir." <- pretty cheesy, eh?[

Project Exosphir is going to be an invite open source project. Once the game is released to the public: Free-to-play. Just like the classic Atmosphir.
The main focus of this project is for members of the community to be able to join on making a game that will be loved by many for years to come. We need:
  • Artists / Graphic Designers
  • Programmers
  • Sound Designers / Composers
  • And other areas of expertise that I forgot to mention on the creation of this thread.
We will be using the Unity Game Engine for Project Exosphir's development. So if you are currently using Unity for your own use, yay! If you despise Unity (for some reason), neigh!
How do I join this project?
To join in on Project Exosphir, I would like you to fill out this -> Google Form <-
If you get accepted, you will be sent a acceptance email that will ask you to read and agree to a agreement before you can join.
Please fill this form out to the best of your ability. I know many of you in the OMB community are very talented in the respective fields, but just to make things less hectic, I would like to know that I can TRUST the people joining. If i made the project completely open source, "scrubs" can "join" just to screw up some code, and/or make people sad. I would also like to know if people joining are going to be at least somewhat dedicated to the project.

Why should I care about this project or support this project? Shouldn't I just wait for Voxelus to finally show up?
The reason of making this project is that the community can give ideas, and because the community is the one creating this game, these ideas have a higher chance of being added to the final product than other games. The game will be ever-growing! It won't have a select theme to its design. Like Atmosphir, it will be a game for expressing imagination from the ground up.

I am too busy! Why should I even join this project?
I am a busy human too. This project won't be finished pronto. We will be adding some on every so often when we get the chance. The mod for Portal 2 called Portal Stories: Mel, took more than 4 years to finish with a small group of developers.

Are we building this from the ground up?
Yes and no. No, because I already created a large amount of the level editing mechanics for the game. Yes, because we aren't going to be using any pre-made Unity Asset Store assets. The things I already coded by hand is:
  • All block handling, including: block visualization, placement, deleting, rotating, and scaling.
  • Level Editor Camera controls.
  • Optimized level saving capabilities (server friendly file sizes).
  • A Editor Extension for the developers to easily add and remove blocks from the block catalog, and render preview images with a click of a button.
I hope this becomes a vast and amazing project, and I hope you talented people help pitch into this project.

- zardini001
zardini001

Post by zardini001 »

Reserved for later.
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

zardini001 wrote:The One More Block community is amazing.
You lost me

NOBUTSRSLY As unlikely as this is, it would be so cool to see it come to fruition. I wish I had the talent to contribute, but best of luck anyway.
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
Rabbidfan236

Post by Rabbidfan236 »

Didn't we already try this?
zardini001

Post by zardini001 »

Rabbidfan236 wrote:Didn't we already try this?
You guys might have, but I am not sure.
If you did, then why not try again? Persevere. Push on. Don't let any other thing let us down, and then we can achieve success. I would like to make a game to express imagination. I would like to make a game that kids would have nostalgia when looking back on this game once they become older.

If nobody joins me on this adventure, I will just push on by myself. Once you guys see the potential, I hope you guys will hold my hand, and we can create a fantastic experience for the next generation.
Bad At Gravity
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Post by Bad At Gravity »

Mk, I can sorta somewhat help with art design.
░█▀▀█ ─█▀▀█ ░█──░█ ░█▀▀█───
░█▄▄▀ ░█▄▄█ ░█░█░█ ░█▄▄▀───
░█─░█ ░█─░█ ░█▄▀▄█ ░█─░█───
kroltan
Developer

Post by kroltan »

I'm seriously in. This was in my head for the last 3 or so weeks, that Atmosphir shouldn't end like this and recreating it would be awesome. Then this post showed up.
Forgot to mention one thing on the form, I helped the Atmosphir server project on its final stages. :D
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

I can music.
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
UC101

Post by UC101 »

Already submitted. Im really hoping to be accepted...
We are anomalous.
We are region.
Forgive and forget.
Expecto patronum.
:?:
zardini001

Post by zardini001 »

kroltan wrote:I'm seriously in. This was in my head for the last 3 or so weeks, that Atmosphir shouldn't end like this and recreating it would be awesome. Then this post showed up.
Forgot to mention one thing on the form, I helped the Atmosphir server project on its final stages. :D
Hey thanks for the enthusiasm so far guys! Just one question, who runs the OMB server? Because I need a person to host the server for the future Exosphir.
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

If you're serious about this, you'll wanna grab the exosphir.com domain ASAP.

(also, submitted a form thingy)
kroltan
Developer

Post by kroltan »

Wowfunhappy runs the OMB server, but he is not really present here much. And please let's not do the server in PHP! (one of the main reasons reviving Atmo failed was PHP's capabilities)
Maybe one of those cheap VPNs from DigitalOcean, they even give $100 in credits for students, and can run anything.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

As ambitious of a project as this is, especially for someone like me with only moderate experience in this area, I am intrigued. I'm going to fill that form out as soon as I get home, but I can't promise I'll be of a ton of use.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
ZeroSwordsMaster
Editorial Staff

Post by ZeroSwordsMaster »

I'm not quite sure why PHP was a limiting factor for Atmosphir personally from personal experience, but C# would be a better option anyway since it would mean that the client code and server code would be in the same language.

I've applied. Sadly my portfolio isn't too expensive since up until recently I've been refining my digital art and as far as traditional art my scanner barely works. Hopefully I can procure a slightly more detailed portfolio later.

I applied as an artist but I'm also talented with design and code; should I submit additional applications for these or nah?
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

In regards to community bullcrap I'd be up for being community manager as well, but i guess at the moment thats thinking a bit far ahead.
zardini001

Post by zardini001 »

ZeroSwordsMaster wrote:I'm not quite sure why PHP was a limiting factor for Atmosphir personally from personal experience, but C# would be a better option anyway since it would mean that the client code and server code would be in the same language.
All of this we can figure out once Exosphir is a full working game from level editing to playing.
ZeroSwordsMaster wrote:I applied as an artist but I'm also talented with design and code; should I submit additional applications for these or nah?
If you feel like it. It seems like you are a talented digital artist, and most likely I would like your skills for art. If you have the time, go ahead and fill out the programming form.
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Quote from kroltan on skype regarding php
Inheritance sucks, horribly unstandardized naming, magic coercions, generic libraries have awkward APIs, and more
also the fact that PHP can't save state in memory (not database) between requests. this leads to wonky piggybacking of global data into database
tl;dr: frustrating to use
zardini001

Post by zardini001 »

StreetLights wrote:In regards to community bullcrap I'd be up for being community manager as well, but i guess at the moment thats thinking a bit far ahead.

Yeah, a bit, but we do need some great moderators though when it gets to that part in development.
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

As you can tell from my post count, i'm very active in this community
too active for my own good tbh, wtf am i doing with my life, i bet my actual post count is like 17k now ;-;
zardini001

Post by zardini001 »

StreetLights wrote:As you can tell from my post count, i'm very active in this community
You really are.