The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Project Exosphir

General discussion about Atmosphir.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Hahah, this brought up some really nice memories.

Some of the guys that posted on this thread weren't around then, but I tried the same thing a couple years back (wow, it's been such a long time). I started working on it first and then some more people came along and joined the team and we got pretty far into development.

We actually got design mode, playtesting, character control, objectives, level upload, level browser/playing uploaded levels and a couple other things fully working, and they actually worked quite well.

I believe I have the files somewhere, I'd have to look around but for those that don't know, the reason we stopped working on it was because the files got corrupted various times, mostly due to our inexperience in developing as a team, starting off hosting the unity project on dropbox and editing it straight from there, then to other solutions that didn't work. (Please for the love of god do yourself a favor and put everything on GitHub or BitBucket as you develop it. Having those backups are incredibly handy). Having to fix the corrupted files multiple times and having pretty old backups, we kind of got demotivated along the way. I was left doing pretty much all the work that needed to be done, and it kinda simply died off.

I've considered picking it back up again in the past, and even worked on another version starting from scratch but motivation hasn't been consistent for me.

Not sure if I'll directly join you guys, but I'll be more than welcome to help out if you guys are stuck on something or want ideas on how to implement certain things. Making that game was a huge learning experience for me, and made me get way more interested in programming and development, which I do to this day as a job.

If you are passionate about this, do it. Even if it doesn't work out in the end, believe me you won't regret it. I can't stress enough the importance of having a team that is equally as motivated or will work as hard as you, and trying to choose people that will stick with you. I just took in anybody that wanted to be a part of the team at the beginning and we had people just sitting around that didn't do much, which doesn't really help and might actually do the opposite.

Really, best of luck on the journey. If I can help at all, let me know and I'll be glad to :)
zardini001
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by zardini001 »

bionicnacho wrote:Everything you said.
Thank you for your speech! :)

I hope I can create a great team from this community. The reason for the form for entry is because I would like to feed out the ones I see that would most likely help the most, to the ones that will ask, "How do I even for loop?". Efficiency is key.

I am going to strive to make sure this project won't die off. It will be at its lows, like when nobody can work on it for a extended period of time (eh-hem, fricking school).

This will be a fun adventure. I hope you can join me on this fabulous project.
bionicnacho wrote:Please for the love of god do yourself a favor and put everything on GitHub or BitBucket as you develop it. Having those backups are incredibly handy.
I started a BitBucket for the project even before I started this thread. :)
Bad At Gravity
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Post by Bad At Gravity »

WOHOO! It might need a better name that something so blatantly Atmosphir. I have some ideas.
░█▀▀█ ─█▀▀█ ░█──░█ ░█▀▀█───
░█▄▄▀ ░█▄▄█ ░█░█░█ ░█▄▄▀───
░█─░█ ░█─░█ ░█▄▀▄█ ░█─░█───
dms

Post by dms »

I'll be happy to build some art assets and sets if you let me know the specs.
Bad At Gravity

Post by Bad At Gravity »

How do you like the name

ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

I just finished applying to be a designer. I'm going to admit right now that I may or not be of much use in terms of actually implementing things, but I am good at coming up with concepts.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
zardini001

Post by zardini001 »

Connormon99 wrote:How do you like the name
Unfortunately no. Cirrus was the world behind Atmosphir. The reason I named the project Exosphir, is because its the outer layer of the Atmosphir (see what i did there). I am trying to imply that Exosphir is the successor of Atmosphir, but not to be the new Atmosphir, and not to be exactly like Atmosphir.

We can't use Cirrus because its direct copying. Sorry bout that.
Bad At Gravity

Post by Bad At Gravity »

Hm...
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Connormon99 wrote:Hm...
Quality contribution right there.
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
Bad At Gravity

Post by Bad At Gravity »

Yep.
Rabbidfan236

Post by Rabbidfan236 »

Connormon99 wrote:Yep.
He does it again!
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
dms

Post by dms »

So, are there are specs yet for art assets? Dimensions, poly count, types of textures, texture size etc...?
zardini001

Post by zardini001 »

dms wrote:So, are there are specs yet for art assets? Dimensions, poly count, types of textures, texture size etc...?
Fill out the Google form I put on the first post of this thread. If you get accepted, then you can start helping us, and then I can give you specs.
Bad At Gravity

Post by Bad At Gravity »

We need a better name though.
kroltan
Developer

Post by kroltan »

I think Exosphir is a great name for now, and frankly, not the highest priority during early development.
Something's name is just marketing, and if you aren't advertising it yet, no need to spend much time into it. ;)
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

If I didn't have a job I'd probably participate :)

I'd recommend trying to avoid spending a lot of time on all the details until later. Get the basics down first.
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
Bad At Gravity

Post by Bad At Gravity »

Mk, how can I help? I made a form.
Flameforlife

Post by Flameforlife »

Didn't Nazmus have an alternate-personality-anti-Nazmus sort of account named Exosphir as as joke when Atmos was still up?
zardini001

Post by zardini001 »

Connormon99 wrote:Mk, how can I help? I made a form.
All you said for the "Examples of stuff you've made" is the letter "h".

Resubmit a new form with that filled so I can actually determine whether you can help efficiently.