The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

About Custom Atmosphir Servers

General discussion about Atmosphir.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

How does Nin know how the database was set up? If you dont mind me asking...
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

Absolutely no idea.
Sebastian Lawe
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

Wowfunhappy wrote:According to Xavier, the code won't work because it needs to be compiled by Unity. Thanks for sharing it though, maybe it will prove useful later on.

Nin is in the process of making an Atmosphir server. He's tells me that it's able to let people browse for levels as a guest and play levels that have been manually uploaded. He's currently trying to get account creation working.
How can he re-direct the client. As far as I can tell, the servers are hard coded to go to Atmosphir.com.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Hmm... it'd be nice to know how nin found out
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

Sebastian Lawe wrote:How can he re-direct the client. As far as I can tell, the servers are hard coded to go to Atmosphir.com.
Wowfunhappy wrote:That said, YOU DO NOT NEED TO HACK THE GAME TO CREATE A CUSTOM SERVER. Instead, you can redirect atmosphir.com to a custom address by changing your operating system's hosts file.
Sebastian Lawe

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

Sounds dangerous. I don't like meddling with stuff like that.
That being said, I'm assuming the file is also heavily depended on by other programs.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Sebastian Lawe wrote: That being said, I'm assuming the file is also heavily depended on by other programs.
It is, but each program has a separate line so you wont need to mess with anything else, just change the atmosphir part
boss

Post by boss »

I've messed with windows' hosts file before. It's not dangerous in the least.
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

All it does is say:

If program tries to go to IP #1, go to IP #2 instead.
Sebastian Lawe

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

Wowfunhappy wrote:All it does is say:

If program tries to go to IP #1, go to IP #2 instead.
Alrighty, how would one view this file?
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

System32/drivers/etc/hosts.txt

Edit: its hidden so youll need admin priveleges and be able to view hidden files
boss

Post by boss »

I don't think you can edit it by normal means though, you have to take ownership of it first which involves using the command line or using a registry hack.

...I think. I might be confusing the hosts file with something else.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

boss wrote:I don't think you can edit it by normal means though, you have to take ownership of it first which involves using the command line or using a registry hack.

...I think. I might be confusing the hosts file with something else.
http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/windows-7-hosts-file/
boss

Post by boss »

Ah, okay. Yeah, I was confusing it with something else. Though I suppose taking ownership of the file would work too, but that's overly complicated.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

boss wrote:Ah, okay. Yeah, I was confusing it with something else. Though I suppose taking ownership of the file would work too, but that's overly complicated.
Yeah.vthere are crtain things that to be able to edit them you need to take ownership (which actually isnt that hard to do, just download take ownership and then it will add it to your right click menu)
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Right click on notepad select "Run As Administrator"

In notepad, do File -> Open

In the "File name" box, type "C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" and then press open.

Boom.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Wowfunhappy wrote:Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Right click on notepad select "Run As Administrator"

In notepad, do File -> Open

In the "File name" box, type "C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" and then press open.

Boom.
I guess thats a nicer way of putting it... :P
boss

Post by boss »

bionicnacho wrote:Yeah.vthere are crtain things that to be able to edit them you need to take ownership (which actually isnt that hard to do, just download take ownership and then it will add it to your right click menu)
Yep. When I said complicated I meant that not everyone is eager to install registry hacks or use their command line when they could just be using notepad and services already offered by windows. I opted for installing the registry hack a while back due to my obsession with GUI and the numerous beautiful Visual Styles for 7 on deviantart. Using the command line every time you need to replace a system file gets old.
Nazmus

Post by Nazmus »

Wow! That's great news Wowfun!!! Congrats to nin. For redirecting the host, we can create a command line batch file that automates the process. We then let the "patch be available for download on this site. That way, even an average person can set Atmosphir. This can be the first game "patch" made by the community. I put patch in quotes because we are not patching the game but changing OS configuration.
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

One problem I'm running into: Onemoreblock.com doesn't have a dedicated ip address...