The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

About Custom Atmosphir Servers

General discussion about Atmosphir.
Nazmus

Post by Nazmus »

Wowfunhappy wrote:One problem I'm running into: Onemoreblock.com doesn't have a dedicated ip address...
What server is Nin using? Or is he using his local PC for Atmosphir?
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Nazmus wrote:What server is Nin using? Or is he using his local PC for Atmosphir?
Its probably local.

If OMB doesnt have a dedi. IP, how would you be able to point the server to it?
TheLastLink
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Post by TheLastLink »

I don't think a forum hosting service will work for this.
I think you guys will need to buy a server and set up an entire site.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

TheLastLink wrote:I don't think a forum hosting service will work for this.
I think you guys will need to buy a server and set up an entire site.
Probably. You cant put a server on a webhost.
S Joye

Post by S Joye »

Sorry for the jump in and bother.... I found the this forum thread after searching for a way to run Atmosphir OFFLINE... I have been using an older version of Atmosphir for a while in a middle school game design elective course. I wanted to switch over to a newer version, but it seems that using atmosphir.exe /offline does not work as it does for the older versions. I saw mention a few times in this thread that before they shut down atmosphir they changed / allowed the last version to run in offline mode... anybody know how that is done? Thanks,
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

Hi! Download the version from here and you should be good to go!
S Joye

Post by S Joye »

Brilliant, thanks! This will be great. Any way to get any of the vehicles etc. into the existing versions offline?
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

S Joye wrote:Brilliant, thanks! This will be great. Any way to get any of the vehicles etc. into the existing versions offline?
Unfortunately, not at this point. That's one of the reasons why we're trying to set up a custom server. You'll have the new design pieces though.
bionicnacho wrote:Probably. You cant put a server on a webhost.
I'm not so sure. All Atmosphir does is download files (levels, images, usernames) from a server, just as your web browser does when you browse these forums.
The only intensive thing Atmosphir does is multiplayer, and that's entirely p2p. If we do in fact have problems I'll buy better hosting, but I expect that this server will do fine.

Also, turns out there's a hidden feature in Atmosphir that lets you redirect the game to any domain name! Nin (who could be telling you these things himself but seems to prefer lurking in the shadows :P ) thinks the devs used it for testing.
Nazmus

Post by Nazmus »

Wowfunhappy wrote:Unfortunately, not at this point. That's one of the reasons why we're trying to set up a custom server.
Also, turns out there's a hidden feature in Atmosphir that lets you redirect the game to any domain name. Nin (who could be telling you these things himself but seems to prefer lurking in the shadows) thinks the devs used it for testing.
Is that what Nin is using? That means he wasn't redirecting the host file but toggling an option in Atmosphir? Also, that would make perfect sense. I know back in the day that devs ran builds of the games that showed private levels on the main menu. The play browser on that test build contained dozens of test levels with weird names and crappy screenshots, with most of them being marked XP. I have seen them on the screenshots/videos they sneak peeked. I totally forgot about this.

Wow, I am too grateful to have you guy's dedication. I can't say thank you enough. The only thing I am praying for is that Halsey Minor doesn't shut this down. (He could legally.) He won't gain anything from it. He might do it out of jealousy. I don't believe he really cares about the community. In fact, a few days ago, I thought something like that did happen; thankfully it did not.
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

I don't think Halsey even knows about this site :P .
S Joye

Post by S Joye »

Understood - thank you for the help and quick info!
Nazmus

Post by Nazmus »

asdf
Wowfunhappy wrote:I don't think Halsey even knows about this site :P .
Yes, that's thankfully true. But what I fear that it may only be a matter of time before he notices, especially if this "hacking/custom server" thing work and a little bit of buzz occurs. Also, that's how search rankings work. As more and more people link to this site discussing Atmosphir, this site will become higher on the search results, especially after the official site fades away from google/bing search results. For example, my lame level documentation site, Stratosphir, that I just started a week ago is already the second result in bing (after Project Stratosphir wikia). It hasn't appeared on Google's 1st page yet, but it will soon. The same will happen with this site (hopefully :) )
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Gosh, I go away for an evening and you guys unearth a whole treasure trove of info! The ability to redirect the server sounds the most promising. Still problem being we don't know what the database on MinorStudios looked like. Presumably files documenting leader boards, comments, screenshots, plays, rankings, XP and etc.. Of course we don't necessarily need those features to run, all we really care about is the actual levels, but that raises the question, will Atmosphir operate correctly with all of those missing components?
boss

Post by boss »

Phantomboy wrote:Gosh, I go away for an evening and you guys unearth a whole treasure trove of info! The ability to redirect the server sounds the most promising. Still problem being we don't know what the database on MinorStudios looked like. Presumably files documenting leader boards, comments, screenshots, plays, rankings, XP and etc.. Of course we don't necessarily need those features to run, all we really care about is the actual levels, but that raises the question, will Atmosphir operate correctly with all of those missing components?
With the way things are going, it doesn't sound like that's going to be an issue.

As for Halsey... even if he did shut down the site, I can't imagine it would take everyone very long to regroup and continue work on it IN THE SHADOWS. shh super sekret no tel aniwon. If this ends up getting really popular in search results, you could just whitelist the forum section - If you're really that worried about it lol.
Nazmus

Post by Nazmus »

boss wrote:With the way things are going, it doesn't sound like that's going to be an issue.

As for Halsey... even if he did shut down the site, I can't imagine it would take everyone very long to regroup and continue work on it IN THE SHADOWS. shh super sekret no tel aniwon. If this ends up getting really popular in search results, you could just whitelist the forum section - If you're really that worried about it lol.
Actually, I want this to be successful and for more people to notice. We are doing this so people can play. What's the point of maintaining a server if only a couple of people are playing it. Some folks are trying to unlock locked items, like vehicles and club gifts and bungees. Basically, all the community ever wanted (and complained about for the lack of) complete freedom. We want anyone to just download Atmosphir and play. The levels we made in the past can be reuploaded so we have a good out of the box experience. I never want to hide and do this in the secret. My prayer is that Halsey would just back off and let this be.
Sebastian Lawe
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

For those of you who are code savvy and curious, if you guys check out the code I've uploaded, you'll see a few other features that the dev's were working on before they quit. I'd list them myself, but I didn't bother to mark them as I wen't through the code. (The code link is a page or two behind this one).
boss

Post by boss »

Nazmus wrote:Actually, I want this to be successful and for more people to notice. We are doing this so people can play. What's the point of maintaining a server if only a couple of people are playing it. Some folks are trying to unlock locked items, like vehicles and club gifts and bungees. Basically, all the community ever wanted (and complained about for the lack of) complete freedom. We want anyone to just download Atmosphir and play. The levels we made in the past can be reuploaded so we have a good out of the box experience. I never want to hide and do this in the secret. My prayer is that Halsey would just back off and let this be.
Yeah, I feel you. It's just that if it does become a problem, it would be better to spread the game through word of mouth than not have it around at all. To be completely honest I doubt Halsey will ever find this place, much less find it problem. It ain't like anyone's making a profit.

@Wowfun - If hosting on this server becomes a problem and you have to upgrade, you should provide some kind of donation service and pin it to the board here. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would have a problem with helping out financially.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Sebastian Lawe wrote:For those of you who are code savvy and curious, if you guys check out the code I've uploaded, you'll see a few other features that the dev's were working on before they quit. I'd list them myself, but I didn't bother to mark them as I wen't through the code. (The code link is a page or two behind this one).
Oh! I am not code savvy at all but I can read text and scroll around so I shall check it out, very exciting stuff!
boss

Post by boss »

Has anyone tried contacting that Rohan guy? Maybe he backed up the servers before they went down and can provide us with some information about their structure. Maybe we can get him to part with the uploaded levels, which would be awesome.

If I were to contact him, I'd keep quiet about what's going on here. Wouldn't want word of it spreading to Halsey (assuming he's still Halsey's employee).
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

boss wrote:Has anyone tried contacting that Rohan guy? Maybe he backed up the servers before they went down and can provide us with some information about their structure. Maybe we can get him to part with the uploaded levels, which would be awesome.

If I were to contact him, I'd keep quiet about what's going on here. Wouldn't want word of it spreading to Halsey (assuming he's still Halsey's employee).
I highly doubt that we would be able to provide us with much as when you begin working at a company you usually sign legal document insuring that no distribution of property will be committed. That is how secret recipes and trade secrets are born :)