The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

About Custom Atmosphir Servers

General discussion about Atmosphir.
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

About Custom Atmosphir Servers

Post by Wowfunhappy »

People in a few threads have been asking if it would be possible to modify the game to connect to a custom, community-hosted server.

First: There's no rule against discussion related to modifying/hacking Atmosphir. This forum isn't officially sanctioned by Minor Studios or any other company. Furthermore, no one is making money off of Atmosphir anymore, so hacking it can't possibly harm anyone.

That said, YOU DO NOT NEED TO HACK THE GAME TO CREATE A CUSTOM SERVER. Instead, you can redirect atmosphir.com to a custom address by changing your operating system's hosts file.

The hard part would be setting up the server itself. It would have to mimic the functionality of Minor Studios's old servers, which we know very little about. What software did it run? How were the databases set up? These are all questions that I for one can't answer.

So, is it possible? Yes. I would have no idea where to start, but if anyone does, it would be an awesome project. Also, if it WAS to get off the ground, OneMoreBlock would be able to provide hosting.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Thank you for the clarification! I didn't even think of that, simply redirecting on our on computers. I am unsure how in depth the error messages are when connecting to a server- however if they do give a clear message on what the game is missing it would be a major process of elimination to figure out the server, that is unless we can figure any more out about the old servers.
Nazmus

Post by Nazmus »

Being able to hack the game is still important. If anyone is able to hack the game, that might enable us to figure out what kind of database is Atmosphir looking for. If we know what kind of database Atmosphir is looking for, then we can recreate it. Furthermore, being able to hack the game might also enable us to redirect to onemoreblock.com rather than Atmosphir.com. That would make the game more accessable. Not everyone would want to go through the trouble of changing their PC''s host file.
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

Nazmus wrote:Furthermore, being able to hack the game might also enable us to redirect to onemoreblock.com rather than Atmosphir.com. That would make the game more accessable. Not everyone would want to go through the trouble of changing their PC''s host file.
True. I can see attempting to make the change in-game after we have the server set up, but the server should come first.

I guess hacking COULD help us figure out how to set the server up though... hm, aren't there network monitor programs that could help with that?
Mr Meow Meow

Post by Mr Meow Meow »

Hacking the game would be a good idea if we wanted to activate online gaming. Though it is easier said the done. We would have to feed the levels directly to each client, then there is the fact that we will HAVE TO HOST A SERVER!! Doesn't that cost money, and open your computer(s) to the internet?
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Mr Meow Meow wrote:Hacking the game would be a good idea if we wanted to activate online gaming. Though it is easier said the done. We would have to feed the levels directly to each client, then there is the fact that we will HAVE TO HOST A SERVER!! Doesn't that cost money, and open your computer(s) to the internet?
I'm a bit confused on what you mean, however I think you've got it. To my understanding we would either be modifying the code within Atmosphir to rather than look to the original servers (that have been discontinued) to find levels it would look to a new sever set up by our community or setting your computer to automatically redirect a connection to Atmosphir.com to the new server. At which point this OMB-sphir server would contain all uploaded levels and such which Atmosphir would then download thinking that its the original server. Anyone please correct me if I am wrong :)
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

Mr Meow Meow wrote:there is the fact that we will HAVE TO HOST A SERVER!! Doesn't that cost money, and open your computer(s) to the internet?
I would pay to host it (I'm the one paying for the OneMoreBlock website and MC server), but we're a long way off from having the ability.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

[quote="Wowfunhappy"][quote="Mr Meow Meow"]
Speaking of which, is the OneMoreBlock forum costing you a lot? I mean are you in need assistance paying for it, would a donation area be in the future?
Sebastian Lawe
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

We'll I'm officially on a mission to see if I can find what files the Atmosphir game looks for when connecting online. I'm no good with setting up TCP/IP connections via C#, but provided I can get to the games source code, I'll be able to post some info back for those who can do database work.

Atmosphir was written in C#, meaning that it should theoretically be compiled to IL (Intermediate Language) on windows, as opposed to being compiled to assembly.
(For those of you that don't know, IL can easily be converted back to its original code).

I know I'm speaking japanese here, but on any account, because Atmosphir works on the mono runtime (Which unity uses) it can be decompiled. You just can't decompile the direct executable (which just references and uses different dll's).

Edit:
So, I've successfully decompiled the libraries that Atmosphir depends on. However, that isn't going to help me any. I have to somehow decompile the actual "Atmosphir.exe"....
Nazmus

Post by Nazmus »

Sebastian Lawe wrote:We'll I'm officially on a mission to see if I can find what files the Atmosphir game looks for when connecting online. I'm no good with setting up TCP/IP connections via C#, but provided I can get to the games source code, I'll be able to post some info back for those who can do database work.

Atmosphir was written in C#, meaning that it should theoretically be compiled to IL (Intermediate Language) on windows, as opposed to being compiled to assembly.
(For those of you that don't know, IL can easily be converted back to its original code).

I know I'm speaking japanese here, but on any account, because Atmosphir works on the mono runtime (Which unity uses) it can be decompiled. You just can't decompile the direct executable (which just references and uses different dll's).

Edit:
So, I've successfully decompiled the libraries that Atmosphir depends on. However, that isn't going to help me any. I have to somehow decompile the actual "Atmosphir.exe"....
No, it was not "Japanese" to me. I knew exactly what you are talking about. However, I do not know how to decompile code IL stored in DLLs back to C# code, like you do. So, do you think it's possible to decompile an exe file in any way?
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

Sebastian Lawe wrote: So, I've successfully decompiled the libraries that Atmosphir depends on. However, that isn't going to help me any. I have to somehow decompile the actual "Atmosphir.exe"....
But I thought you said Atmosphir.exe "just references and uses different dll's"...
Nazmus

Post by Nazmus »

Wowfunhappy wrote:But I thought you said Atmosphir.exe "just references and uses different dll's"...
It doesn't *just* refer to other DLLs. Of course it has code in itself. The DLLs are simply other classes that Atmosphir.exe refers to in addition.

I know you have taking programming class. You know that you have the main code plus additional classes you can refer to . You create classes so they can be reused and referred to multiple times by another code. DLLs are simply classes. The exe file also has code (the main app code), which also refers to a class.

This applies to Windows only. OSX doesn't use .exe or .dll.
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

Ah, thanks Nazmus. That makes sense.
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

Phantomboy wrote:Speaking of which, is the OneMoreBlock forum costing you a lot? I mean are you in need assistance paying for it, would a donation area be in the future?
It's $20 every three months for the forum, slightly more for the Minecraft server. I feel like what I'm doing isn't "lofty" enough to be asking for donations though. It's expensive, but I afford it.
Nazmus

Post by Nazmus »

I noticed something. If you run Atmosphir from the Launcher, it runs in online mode but if you run the actual Atmosphir.exe, it runs in offline mode. That means, information might be located in the launcher itself rather than Atmosphir.exe. Check out the two screenshots below to see the difference between running Atmosphir using the launcher and without the launcher.

Here's the picture of the launcher if you need a refresher:

My version of Atmosphir includes the launcher. Wowfunhappy's version did not include it. I don't know if he updated it to include the launcher. If he did not, you can download my version.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4243212/Voxelus/Atmosphir.zip
Sebastian Lawe
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

Wowfunhappy wrote:But I thought you said Atmosphir.exe "just references and uses different dll's"...
For any application compiled in C#, you can assume it can be easily decompiled. I figured that since Atmosphir had quite a few outside dll's, it would be possible to get what I needed from there. However, that turned out not to be the case.
Nazmus wrote:No, it was not "Japanese" to me. I knew exactly what you are talking about. However, I do not know how to decompile code IL stored in DLLs back to C# code, like you do. So, do you think it's possible to decompile an exe file in any way?
Any programs written in C++, or C, are compiled to assembler code. Which, is direct machine code (and is very hard to translate back, you won't get the original source code by any means).
Any programs written in C# or Visual Basic, are converted to intermediate language (and its quite easy to translate back to C# or VB with a downloadable decompiling tool. You'll get the original source code very easily.)
Intermediate Language is compiled to assembler code when it needs to during run time (That requires storing your original code).

I'll take a look at the launcher, though my thoughts are that its only giving Atmosphir command line parameters to activate online mode (Which can be set up in a file shortcut).

Edit:
Aha! After much searching online, it turns out that the source code for unity games are stored in the ".unity3d" files. So, my assumption was correct. I was just looking in the wrong spots.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Sebastian Lawe wrote:For any application compiled in C#, you can assume it can be easily decompiled. I figured that since Atmosphir had quite a few outside dll's, it would be possible to get what I needed from there. However, that turned out not to be the case.

Any programs written in C++, or C, are compiled to assembler code. Which, is direct machine code (and is very hard to translate back, you won't get the original source code by any means).
Any programs written in C# or Visual Basic, are converted to intermediate language (and its quite easy to translate back to C# or VB with a downloadable decompiling tool. You'll get the original source code very easily.)
Intermediate Language is compiled to assembler code when it needs to during run time (That requires storing your original code).

I'll take a look at the launcher, though my thoughts are that its only giving Atmosphir command line parameters to activate online mode (Which can be set up in a file shortcut).

Edit:
Aha! After much searching online, it turns out that the source code for unity games are stored in the ".unity3d" files. So, my assumption was correct. I was just looking in the wrong spots.
I saw those .unity3d files however always I assumed they dealt more on the sides of models, mesh, properties and such- However I have barely messed around with unity. It would make sense to have the files complied as such- any luck on find a way to view those files? from what I've seen they are pretty secured.
Edit: After a bit of looking around I found a product called UniPlayer from a site called Nibiirosoft. Not sure if its worth looking into but I looks promising.
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

Indeed, I removed the launcher from the Atmosphir Collection since the servers are down anyway. Hm... do you think the code for the server is in the launcher? I guess that would make sense. I should have thought of that...

Also, Unity itself is capable of opening some of those .unty3d files. They're mostly models and stuff though.
luke5227

Post by luke5227 »

I'm not sure if this is obvious or if anybody has suggested this but couldn't you just have somebody on a multiplayer get it to send data to a database as in the movements and the server information, then read what its displaying? It must send the data through, like, text files or something right?
Nazmus

Post by Nazmus »

luke5227 wrote:I'm not sure if this is obvious or if anybody has suggested this but couldn't you just have somebody on a multiplayer get it to send data to a database as in the movements and the server information, then read what its displaying? It must send the data through, like, text files or something right?
It can't even connect. How can it even start Multiplayer. The multiplayer option is disabled (non-existent). You can see that there is no option for multiplayer on the screenshot above.