The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

About Custom Atmosphir Servers

General discussion about Atmosphir.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Nazmus wrote:No, but Sebastian was able to crack the code behind the dlls. He used some external program that decomiled the dll frim its IL from to actual C# code. Since we HAVE the C# code behind the DLLs, we can just copy-paste it. I know you don't have the c# code, but Sebastian has it.
Im not talking about the code, i know that sebastian has it, i mean the actual things that make up the project like models and all that
Nazmus

Post by Nazmus »

bionicnacho wrote:Im not talking about the code, i know that sebastian has it, i mean the actual things that make up the project like models and all that
Oh, I get you mean. So I understand tthat the dll won't compile unless you have the assets loaded onto unity as well that the dll refers to. Makes sense. VS also returns errors when referring to objects that are not initiated or missing.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Nazmus wrote:Oh, I get you mean. So I understand tthat the dll won't compile unless you have the assets loaded onto unity as well that the dll refers to. Makes sense. VS also returns errors when referring to objects that are not initiated or missing.
Exactly. Unity will just throw a bunch of compiler errors
Wowfunhappy wrote:What I know is, the developer of the game just told us you have to use Unity's compiler. I'm guessing because Unity's compiler is slightly different. Or it could even be a security measure by Unity.
Unity uses mono to compile the code, and VS uses something else (i believe) So you won't be able to use that compiled code with the unity application, since it uses another method
Nazmus

Post by Nazmus »

bionicnacho wrote:Exactly. Unity will just throw a bunch of compiler errors
Do you think it's possible to retreive the assets from the Atmosphir folders. All ther assets are compiled in the game's assets folder. I don't know if they are encrypted.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Nazmus wrote:Do you think it's possible to retreive the assets from the Atmosphir folders. All ther assets are compiled in the game's assets folder. I don't know if they are encrypted.
The assets are all the .unity3d files. BUT unity won't open them. I'm not sure if there is a workaround to make unity open them. You could try opening every single .unity3d file in there with unity, and it wont open
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

I _KNOW_ for sure there is a workaround to open them, because I've DONE IT before. I just don't remember what it is, and it's annoying the heck out of me.

I know it's something quite simple to. It's the kind of thing that, once you figure it out, you can't believe you didn't think of it earlier.
eXoDuS
Administrator

Post by eXoDuS »

The assets are not encrypted, but they are "compiled". You can't really make up the project from compiled files.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

eXoDuS wrote:The assets are not encrypted, but they are "compiled". You can't really make up the project from compiled files.
I KNEW IT! lol. But yeah, unity just doesn't want to open them :/
Wowfunhappy wrote:I _KNOW_ for sure there is a workaround to open them, because I've DONE IT before. I just don't remember what it is, and it's annoying the heck out of me.

I know it's something quite simple to. It's the kind of thing that, once you figure it out, you can't believe you didn't think of it earlier.
If you can figure it out, it would be the best thing ever.

And maybe since the developer is posting here a bit more, he can point us in the right direction? :P
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

I don't want to speak for Xavier, but I'd imagine he's probably still under NDA's or whatever, so try to not bring him into this too much. Of course, if he decides to help us of his own choosing, that's different.

Edit: Nevermind, I remembered something that makes me sure it was only the web version's assets that I opened in Unity. :(
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Wowfunhappy wrote:I don't want to speak for Xavier, but I'd imagine he's probably still under NDA's or whatever, so try to not bring him into this too much. Of course, if he decides to help us of his own choosing, that's different.
Alright xD
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

...what's this? http://en.unity3d.netobf.com/unity3d_decompiler

Edit: aww, it's paid.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Wowfunhappy wrote:...what's this? http://en.unity3d.netobf.com/unity3d_decompiler
Oh yeah i've seen that before

its supposed to protect the .unty3d files but its somehow also used to decompile them. I'm not sure. I havent been able to try it out since i have a mac.

..and because its paid
eXoDuS
Administrator

Post by eXoDuS »

That software decompiles the unity 3d file (web player) into the files you normally see in desktop version.

Thing with the assets is that there's no way to go back since in this case compilation doesnt just mean generating a different kind of code, it means that it grabs your source assets (3dstudio max file, photoshop textures, wav sounds, etc) and exports them for the target platform in a "quicker" data arrangement, that means it makes the final assets that the actual game will use easier and faster to load and draw. But there's no real way to go backwards, since you already discarded lots of information.

What some people have done in the past is to open the mesh objects in an asset file, and view them, but that's not much use to re-compile the project, you are losing lots of variables, script code, references, etc.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

eXoDuS wrote:That software decompiles the unity 3d file (web player) into the files you normally see in desktop version.

Thing with the assets is that there's no way to go back since in this case compilation doesnt just mean generating a different kind of code, it means that it grabs your source assets (3dstudio max file, photoshop textures, wav sounds, etc) and exports them for the target platform in a "quicker" data arrangement, that means it makes the final assets that the actual game will use easier and faster to load and draw. But there's no real way to go backwards, since you already discarded lots of information.

What some people have done in the past is to open the mesh objects in an asset file, and view them, but that's not much use to re-compile the project, you are losing lots of variables, script code, references, etc.
Thanks for the clarification.

Seems like Unity is pretty secure, eh?

But you COULD still somehow figure out how the database was set up and point the game to another server, right?
Nazmus

Post by Nazmus »

In that case, the only reasonable hope is to have the DLL compile without the assets (don't know how hard that would be.) AND make the game still run with the modified DLL.

But there has to be way because if a man made it, he can break it. There has to be a way to compile the dll without the asset. It might mean manual work, though.
Nazmus

Post by Nazmus »

This reminds me. Wowfunhappy had an excellent idea on the first post (OP). We don't need to mod Atmosphir. We need to redirect the URL atmosphir.com to onemoreblock.com. The original intent for looking at the game's source code was to figure out how the server is set up and to figure out what the game is looking for. If we can examin the code and figure out what the game is looking for, we can recreate it in one more block and redirect our host files.

So, the easiest step now is to figure out how to set up a server.

This reminds me. We had a bunch of ideas threads requesting custom servers on Atmosphir multiplayer. If only the devs had that implimented before Atmosphir went down. HOWEVEVER, we must be greatful that they did get to the desktop version before going down, AND making an offline mode. Their LAST update was on enabling offline play. What luck!
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Lol what happened to WFH's post? It just disappeared :P

But yeah, if we somehow figure out how the server works/what the names of the databases and tables are, we COULD get the uploading/level browser up

I think they had that Offline mode update planned ;)
Nazmus

Post by Nazmus »

bionicnacho wrote:Lol what happened to WFH's post? It just disappeared :P
I think they had that Offline mode update planned ;)
I like to think that as well. I want to believe they wanted Atmosphir to be playable because they knew what was coming. Before that, Atmosphir would force quit. Even though we could launch offline mode, there was an error message that would force quit. It was like an artificial error. However, before going down, they removed that forced quit error and even launched an offline mode in the Atmosphir launcher. I love to think they cared about us and made it so we could still play it after Atmosphir.com died. But it could be concidential. Who knows.
Sebastian Lawe
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

Newah wrote:Thanks for the work Sebastian. You're awesome. :D

If we do start modding, we should make sure that we make a universal build of sorts, or that we use some system to make sure that we're all on the same page...
Possibly in the future, if we were to ever get servers working, the launcher could help keep people on the same page. However, I'd like to change as little as possible with Atmosphir. The two main things I wan't to do is turn on developer mode (So we have access to other design elements), and upload Atmosphir's source code for anybody who can figure out how to get Atmosphir working on a basic server.

By the way, 814 classes of approximately 950 classes have been copied over.

Edit:

All of Atmosphir's core code has been copied. However, the C# has syntax that Visual Studio despises. Not only that, but the bits of syntax bugging Visual Studio aren't programatically correct for C#. Now despite of that, I'll upload the code files for viewing. Unfortunately though, the server's are hard coded into Atmosphir. There isn't any file you can edit in notepad to redirect Atmosphir to another server. I'm not sure if there's an easy way of compiling this code.

Here's the source code.
http://www.mediafire.com/?yj3107i3dp1d3pd

To compile the code, we need a C# compiler that accepts the foreign syntax. To get this code partially working, you need to delete all default references, then add the dll's from a folder called "managed" (Should be where all of Atmosphir's other files are stored).
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

According to Xavier, the code won't work because it needs to be compiled by Unity. Thanks for sharing it though, maybe it will prove useful later on.

Nin is in the process of making an Atmosphir server. He's tells me that it's able to let people browse for levels as a guest and play levels that have been manually uploaded. He's currently trying to get account creation working.