The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Anyone have ideas for atmos besides designing?

General discussion about Atmosphir.
Swords761

Anyone have ideas for atmos besides designing?

Post by Swords761 »

It'd be nice to be able to buy things without needing to win design contests or in general make levels. My route in the "official" era honestly was spending real money, but I'm wondering/hoping we could somehow reintegrate the number of wins/losses/abandons back into the database? And then use that in conjunction with XP levels to auto-award some amount of atmos per so many levels beaten? Or maybe none of that is possible. :(

Or here's another good idea that is totally doable: implement some sort of custom achievement system where upon the user completing a challenge and the user providing picture proof of such, gets manually awarded?

I'm also wondering if there's some way to tie a script between the forum and the database; like upon so many posts, a script triggers to add so many atmos to that user's account in the database. That could be another way to go about this. And in regards to earning too much too quickly for simple tasks, the economy can easily be balanced I'm sure- I just think we need to think of some more clever ideas than just designing levels. Maybe reintroducing more contests like a weekly scoreboard one?

idk help me out
Phantomboy

Re: Anyone have ideas for atmos besides designing?

Post by Phantomboy »

Luckily, if I understand things correctly-- it is possible to implement an automatic system of rewarding atmos via beating "XP" tagged levels. I think I've heard something about awarding atmos as well for having you levels get XP-- but I'm not sure about that. You are totally right though, we want to reward players along with designers..

Something I thought of, and it would be up to speaking with Bionicnacho to see if it is possible, but adding an extra reward of atmos for those who rank top of the leader-boards in XP levels.. but I'm not sure if we can do that or not. What I've seen done on another forum I visit as well, is an annual "Best of.." awards ceremony, in which a new section of the forums is added an within it there is dozens of threads which just ask, "Who is the most helpful user?, who is the best artist?, who is the most competitive?, who is the most active?" and then users vote in each of those sections and then one big master list of the winners is posted in the end.. Maybe we could do something like that and have the reward be atmos! Who knows!
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

There's actually a system in place right now that will give you atmos for beating levels:
  • 50 atmos for beating XP levels
  • 150 atmos for beating LOTD levels
The XP system has also been restored, and works the following way:
  • 10-50 XP per XP level beaten, depending on its internal 'XP Tier'
  • 50 XP per LOTD level beaten
If these (both XP and atmos) rewards are too much or too little, we'll tweak them as time goes on since we haven't really been able to test this. Once it goes live we'll see how it goes.

Both of these, however, are currently disabled. Once the winners for the CC16 contest go live, so will atmos and XP. Everyone will get a certain amount of atmos for simply registering as well, but I can't remember what that value is.

I don't really want to tie atmos for forum-based task. I would much rather keep it in the game. However, we can definitely create player-oriented contest in addition to our design contests.

There was also a really interesting idea back when atmos were initially discussed that was making a lottery. Users would wager a certain amount of atmos, and based on that some players would be drawn and win a certain amount of atmos. I actually think it's a pretty cool idea, and also involves a sort of risk.
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

we could buy entity a birthday present
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
ThatOneFox
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ThatOneFox »

bionicnacho wrote:
There was also a really interesting idea back when atmos were initially discussed that was making a lottery. Users would wager a certain amount of atmos, and based on that some players would be drawn and win a certain amount of atmos. I actually think it's a pretty cool idea, and also involves a sort of risk.
Like a cross between atmosphir and the powerball

atmoball.

wait.
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
Swords761

Post by Swords761 »

bionicnacho wrote:There's actually a system in place right now that will give you atmos for beating levels:
  • 50 atmos for beating XP levels
  • 150 atmos for beating LOTD levels
The XP system has also been restored, and works the following way:
  • 10-50 XP per XP level beaten, depending on its internal 'XP Tier'
  • 50 XP per LOTD level beaten
If these (both XP and atmos) rewards are too much or too little, we'll tweak them as time goes on since we haven't really been able to test this. Once it goes live we'll see how it goes.

Both of these, however, are currently disabled. Once the winners for the CC16 contest go live, so will atmos and XP. Everyone will get a certain amount of atmos for simply registering as well, but I can't remember what that value is.

I don't really want to tie atmos for forum-based task. I would much rather keep it in the game. However, we can definitely create player-oriented contest in addition to our design contests.

These are good things to know and I'm happy it's coming really soon! Thanks :D
freekboy31

Post by freekboy31 »

We should have some sort of gift codes. hehe, then send it to the devs so they redeem a prize for you :D
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

I think the system in place right now is pretty darn good—you have to play levels to get atmos, but obtaining said atmos is ridiculously easy. I wouldn't be opposed to to making the weapons free (and making just the clothing paid), but when getting atmos in the first place is so trivial, it hardly matters.

Stratos ought to stay dead though. Game-breaking perks suck.
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Wowfunhappy wrote:
Stratos ought to stay dead though. Game-breaking perks suck.
Game breaking perks arent game breaking if everyone has them.
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

Well, in terms of competitive play, perhaps, but it breaks single player levels.

Particularly that stupid health region one.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

If I recall, you can disable them~ but yes, I definitely agree that they felt really out-of-place in most cases. It felt like taking some of the control away from the designer. Alternatively, if every level just disables them by default, well then there isn't really incentive to purchase them.

Plus that, things like the health regeneration, or force pushing thing, or heat-seeking fireballs are things that could have been put to use is really interesting ways in puzzle levels-- if the designer had the ability to grant players of their level a certain level, of a certain perk.. But the designer needing to count on the player to happen to have a particular perk, both purchased and enabled is far to much of a hassle to really design much around it. Which is, really unfortunate.
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

Phantomboy wrote:If I recall, you can disable them~ but yes, I definitely agree that they felt really out-of-place in most cases. It felt like taking some of the control away from the designer. Alternatively, if every level just disables them by default, well then there isn't really incentive to purchase them.
You can KIND of disable them.

It's possible for designers to enable a score penalty (for the leaderboards) as soon as a perk is used. But you can't ACTUALLY disable perks.

Also, I'm pretty sure they said they were going to get rid of this option, or I don't remember if they actually did so or if it was just a planned feature.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Honestly, I'd be fine with nixing stratos on the simple basis that nobody ever uses them. On the original server, I mostly used perks because I thought the fire one looked cool. As far as using them for actual gameplay purposes, I only ever did that once, and that was to get past a death skull that kept killing me.