The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

[2/16/2016] Server Development Update, How To Play Multiplayer

General discussion about Atmosphir.
bionicnacho
Administrator

[2/16/2016] Server Development Update, How To Play Multiplayer

Post by bionicnacho »

Server Development Update
February 16th, 2016

Hey guys! I think it's about time for another development update. We've made a lot of progress in different areas of the game that you may not know about if you don't regularly check the #atmosphir-revival channel on our Discord server.

Here are the most notable things that have happened this month:
  • The store is now live! Some things to note about this:
    • Everybody gets 500 atmos on sign-up. You should already have these in your account.
    • You are able to earn atmos by playing LOTD and XP levels. The payout for beating an XP level is 50 atmos, and for beating a LOTD level you get 150 atmos.
    • Most things are on the store, but some items are missing. Please bear with us while we resolve some issues with adding the remaining items.
    • Items that have a price tag, but also have a club tag cannot be purchased yet. This is usually because we just haven't implemented something that directly relates to that item, so they'll be activated in some time. We're using the club tag at the moment to prevent the purchasing of such items.
  • XP is now working (you can now level up your character). Some things to note:
    • You will receive from 50-250XP for beating XP levels, and 250XP for beating LOTD levels. This has been increased from the previous 10-50XP per XP level on launch.
    • Stratos are not currently implemented, so even if the game says you've been awarded stratos, you really haven't.
  • Multiplayer is now working. This is a pretty huge thing since now you'll be able to play with your friends/show off your hard-earned items you've purchased by playing levels. Cooperative and Competitive play are working. Multiplayer now works without having to do anything manually. Just make sure you're using our custom launcher.
    • To enable multiplayer on your client, you will need to replace a file in your game installation with a custom one we've customized to connect to our servers. I will make a tutorial on this soon. In the meantime, you can apply the fix yourself by following this guide.
  • You can now take a screenshot of your character and set it as your avatar. There was a problem before that made your character disappear while taking a screenshot, but this has been fixed.
  • In-game registration is now working as it should. Up until now, you've had to go through hurdles to be able to register for an account in Atmosphir. This is no longer the case. You should now be able to create an account like normal by clicking on the registration button.
That's about it for now. Thanks for reading!
Entity
Editorial Staff
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Re: [2/16/2016] Server Development Update

Post by Entity »

NACHO ILY
EyceKubes

Post by EyceKubes »

Was the character store modified so that when you clicked "Leave" it would change your gender at one point? I believe it's supposed to actually let you leave the store without saving but it's not working. Also, I registered a new character to test it out, and I chose one with hair and facial features that aren't available in the store, thinking I would be able to keep them. Though, upon selecting my character and going to the store, all of the aforementioned features were replaced with other ones. Is this because not all of the items are in the store yet? And why does it show up on the character in registration but not anywhere else?

Other than that, great work getting all of this stuff set up. I'm very happy to be playing Atmosphir again as smoothly as it is now :D
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Yeah, I'm aware of the leaving issue but I honestly don't know why it occurs. For now, click the reset button and then save to exit the store if you haven't made any changes you want to keep.

As for the registration thing, I'm aware of that as well. I basically just implemented what was required to enable registration. The rest I still need to look into. In regards to the missing hair styles and whatnot, it is indeed because we haven't implemented everything into the store yet, and for those specific items it's actually a pretty difficult process because we need to go in and actually modify one of the asset files, which we can't quite do just yet. Hopefully in the near future, however, this will be possible.
Swords761

Post by Swords761 »

Sounds great! Why do we need to PM you for the file though?
(In other words can I have it)
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

I mentioned this to Swords over on Discord, but the reason why I hadn't posted the download to enable multiplayer is because I wanted to try and fix some issues with multiplayer, specifically cross-platform play. Right now, OS X clients can't play on matches hosted on Windows and vice-versa. I haven't had any time at all to work on the game this past week though, so I'm going to go ahead and post the download here anyways for people who may want to try it out.

UPDATE: You can now play multiplayer without having to do anything. Just make sure you're using our custom launcher.

How to get multiplayer working on your current Atmosphir installation

Download the custom .dll file here and place it in Atmosphir_Data/Atmosphir_Data/Managed, replacing the existing one. It should be named Assembly-CSharp.dll. Be sure to back up the old one just in case.

Important note: This .dll file only works on the Windows version of the game. There is in fact a working version for Mac, but since most people play on Windows I feel if you want to play multiplayer you'd be better off downloading the windows version of the game and running it with wine, which works really well. (It's what I'm using to play since my main OS is OS X and I haven't had any issues with it). If you really want the mac version for whatever reason though, I can send it to you if you ask.

If you have any problems after replacing the DLL, make sure that you are replacing the correct one. Note that there is an Atmosphir_Data folder inside the first Atmosphir_data folder. The Assembly-CSharp.dll for the launcher is in Atmosphir_Data/Managed, but the one you want to replace is the Assembly-CSharp.dll in Atmosphir_Data/Atmosphir_Data/Managed.
CTB

Post by CTB »

Replaced Assembly-CSharp.dll, still no multiplayer.
Back... after forever.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

CTB wrote:Replaced Assembly-CSharp.dll, still no multiplayer.
Make sure you're replacing the correct one. Some people have accidentally replaced a different Assembly located in Atmosphir_Data/Managed.

The one you actually want to replace is in the second Atmosphir_Data folder located within the first one. In there, another Managed folder will be found with another file called Assembly-CSharp.dll.

If you still have problems, try out freekboy's download with the pre-applied fix. Warning, I haven't tested it myself.
CTB

Post by CTB »

bionicnacho wrote:
Make sure you're replacing the correct one. Some people have accidentally replaced a different Assembly located in Atmosphir_Data/Managed.

The one you actually want to replace is in the second Atmosphir_Data folder located within the first one. In there, another Managed folder will be found with another file called Assembly-CSharp.dll.

If you still have problems, try out freekboy's download with the pre-applied fix. Warning, I haven't tested it myself.
I did do the one in Atmosphir_Data/Atmosphir_Data/Managed. No joy.
Tried freekboy's pre-fixed version. No joy either.
Are you SURE the new Assembly-CSharp.dll works?
Back... after forever.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

CTB wrote:
bionicnacho wrote:

I did do the one in Atmosphir_Data/Atmosphir_Data/Managed. No joy.
Tried freekboy's pre-fixed version. No joy either.
Are you SURE the new Assembly-CSharp.dll works?
Maybe you should check for duplicates? In my experience an Atmosphir .dll won't work at all if you have it in there more than once.
CTB

Post by CTB »

ElectroYoshi wrote: Maybe you should check for duplicates? In my experience an Atmosphir .dll won't work at all if you have it in there more than once.
I don't get what you mean. :?
Back... after forever.
ElectroYoshi

Re: [2/16/2016] Server Development Update, How To Play Multiplayer

Post by ElectroYoshi »

When I tried to add this .dll to my Managed folder, it didn't work at first. Then I looked at it and realized I had in there twice. I deleted one of the copies and it worked fine.
CTB

Post by CTB »

ElectroYoshi wrote:When I tried to add this .dll to my Managed folder, it didn't work at first. Then I looked at it and realized I had in there twice. I deleted one of the copies and it worked fine.
Well, I was REPLACING the .dll...
Back... after forever.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

CTB wrote:
ElectroYoshi wrote:When I tried to add this .dll to my Managed folder, it didn't work at first. Then I looked at it and realized I had in there twice. I deleted one of the copies and it worked fine.
Well, I was REPLACING the .dll...
Quick question: What EXACTLY do you mean by "it's not working"? Do you get an error, or what?
CTB

Post by CTB »

Game opens fine, but it still says MP maps don't allow Solo Play and that I should try again later.
Back... after forever.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

CTB wrote:Game opens fine, but it still says MP maps don't allow Solo Play and that I should try again later.
Okay, the "no solo play" bug in the regular map listing doesn't necessarily mean that multiplayer isn't working. To play MP, open Atmosphir and on the menu click on PLAY > PLAY COMP or PLAY COOP > CREATE. Choose one of the levels that come up, and press the "Create Now!" button.

If this goes through and you spawn in, this means MP works. If it doesn't the game will either crash or show an error.
CTB

Post by CTB »

bionicnacho wrote:
CTB wrote:Game opens fine, but it still says MP maps don't allow Solo Play and that I should try again later.
Okay, the "no solo play" bug in the regular map listing doesn't necessarily mean that multiplayer isn't working. To play MP, open Atmosphir and on the menu click on PLAY > PLAY COMP or PLAY COOP > CREATE. Choose one of the levels that come up, and press the "Create Now!" button.

If this goes through and you spawn in, this means MP works. If it doesn't the game will either crash or show an error.
Sadly, I think I have a different timezone so I can't play unless it's midnight over here! Sorry... :oops:
For reference, over here in the UK it's 22 past 12 at the time of posting.
Back... after forever.
Doctor Pie
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Post by Doctor Pie »

CTB wrote:
bionicnacho wrote:

Sadly, I think I have a different timezone so I can't play unless it's midnight over here! Sorry... :oops:
Also, when creating a mutliplayer session, It might have the whole "This isn't Solo Play". Just close the message and press it again, and it should work. (Unless I am the only one with that problem...)
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

CTB wrote:
bionicnacho wrote:

You don't need to play. Just create a session and leave it. But do it on your own time, of course. No rush.
CTB

Post by CTB »

Yeah, that does work. Just need an opponent...
Back... after forever.