The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Modding Atmosphir

General discussion about Atmosphir.
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Modding Atmosphir

Post by Wowfunhappy »

A custom Atmosphir server is making progress, but that forum thread is now seven pages long. In the interest of keeping the discussion organized, I wanted to create a separate place for the equally important discussion of whether it would be possible to mod Atmosphir. Can we enable developer mode, with bungees and NPC's? Can we raise the somewhat-restrictive capacity limit? Could we, perhaps, even add to the game with new blocks and textures. If we can figure out how to mod the game, all these things would become possible.

I'll try to bring us up to speed: Sebastian Lawe was successfully able to extract Atmosphir's source code from the game's dll files, comments and all! Download it here!

Even though we have the code however, no one has been able to recompile it. According to former-Atmosphir developer Xavier (Username eXoDuS), the code is meant to be compiled with Unity.

However, Unity doesn't want to compile the code because it doesn't have Atmosphir's assets. And although every copy of Atmosphir ships with these assets in the form of .unity3d files:
eXoDuS wrote: Thing with the assets is that there's no way to go back since in this case compilation doesnt just mean generating a different kind of code, it means that it grabs your source assets (3dstudio max file, photoshop textures, wav sounds, etc) and exports them for the target platform in a "quicker" data arrangement, that means it makes the final assets that the actual game will use easier and faster to load and draw. But there's no real way to go backwards, since you already discarded lots of information.

What some people have done in the past is to open the mesh objects in an asset file, and view them, but that's not much use to re-compile the project, you are losing lots of variables, script code, references, etc.
Which brings us to where we are now: is there any other way we can get the code compiled? Or, is there any other way to modify the game (Hex editor, perhaps)?
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

Mediafire deleted Sebastion's code. Darn mediafire. I've reuploaded it to OMB's servers (and updated the link)
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Why would they delete Sebane's code? Was it in violation of something?

Btw: on the main post
Wowfunhappy wrote:Stuff... Sebastion Lawe was successfully able to... stuff
Sebastian*
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

Absolutely no idea. It could just be a mediafire glitch. All I know is, the mediafire link is broken.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Wowfunhappy wrote:Absolutely no idea. It could just be a mediafire glitch. All I know is, the mediafire link is broken.
Alright then.

I've downloaded the code. Let's see what i find.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Modifications in the game interest me quite a bit, I would find it particularly fun if we could import all costumes masks and weapons as scalable place-able props in game under some sort of "Clothing" tab in design mode. However, I don't want to get ahead of myself. Modifications are still quite larval as far as our knowledge goes. I certainly hope modifications become possible and I have confidence that they will. Wowfun, besides all that you listed in the original post is there any modification you would love to see implemented?
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Phantomboy wrote:Modifications in the game interest me quite a bit, I would find it particularly fun if we could import all costumes masks and weapons as scalable place-able props in game under some sort of "Clothing" tab in design mode. However, I don't want to get ahead of myself. Modifications are still quite larval as far as our knowledge goes. I certainly hope modifications become possible and I have confidence that they will. Wowfun, besides all that you listed in the original post is there any modification you would love to see implemented?
What would you use clothing for in Design mode? Just wondering...
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

bionicnacho wrote:What would you use clothing for in Design mode? Just wondering...
Well, if I remember correctly there is a skull mask- to me Medieval Prisons always look a bit better with a lovely skull on the floor. Also free-placing the clothing you could make sort of creepy NPC's or put a hat on a owl spike. Haha, kind of a dumb little idea I had but I thought it could end in having many uses...
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Phantomboy wrote:Well, if I remember correctly there is a skull mask- to me Medieval Prisons always look a bit better with a lovely skull on the floor. Also free-placing the clothing you could make sort of creepy NPC's or put a hat on a owl spike. Haha, kind of a dumb little idea I had but I thought it could end in having many uses...
Hmm... Interesting :P
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

Phantomboy wrote:Wowfun, besides all that you listed in the original post is there any modification you would love to see implemented?
First, I'd just like to fix some of the bugs. Ledge hanging is insanely finicky, and the physics act strangely in other situations to. In terms of more long-term, less likely stuff, level linking would be awesome. As would the ability for me as a designer to choose what character players use when they enter my level.

Is Unity's refusal to compile c# code without assets simply a safeguard, or are the assets required on a technical level?
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Wowfunhappy wrote:As would the ability for me as a designer to choose what character players use when they enter my level.
Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of character customization? If you force them to use a specific set of clothing, then why would they want to customize it? Maybe for multiplayer but thats really far down the road
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

bionicnacho wrote:Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of character customization?
...which essentially exists for the purpose of generating revenue for MiSt, something that's no longer required. In certain levels a customized character makes sense, but when you're trying to tell a specific story it can be troublesome.

When writing the story for In Vengeance of Love, I spent a ton of time making sure that I never referenced the child's gender. It took a lot of effort, and I wish it hadn't been required. A semi-sequel (same universe, different characters) was never completed largely because of this issue (as well as the lack of level linking).
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Ledge handing is a very big glaring issue to, although I've kind of been forced to get used to it whilst play testing my last level. A hole that I've always felt Atmosphir is missing is a set of snow blocks.

Anyway on topic of modifications, from what I've seen of modifying unity games is very little. I've barely seen any major modifications of the engine. Nearly no videos exist and the forums that do on it seem rather unhelpful, it is fair to say we are kind of on our own when it comes to sources.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Phantomboy wrote:Anyway on topic of modifications, from what I've seen of modifying unity games is very little. I've barely seen any major modifications of the engine. Nearly no videos exist and the forums that do on it seem rather unhelpful, it is fair to say we are kind of on our own when it comes to sources.
Yeah... I've been searching and searching and i can't find ANYTHING on the subject. Looks like either games that people want to mod aren't made with unity, or its just too effing secure
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

Some secure engine that leaves all the source code WITH COMMENTS. :/ I think it's more that Unity tends to be used for casual-ish games, and thus there's a smaller number of people who would try to mod it.

As I said before, is Unity's refusal to compile c# code without assets simply a safeguard, or are the assets required on a technical level?
Nazmus

Post by Nazmus »

Perhaps if any former dev is reading this, and you have the asset files...maybe just maybe email it to Wowfunhappy. We will keep our mouth shut. :P
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Nazmus wrote:Perhaps if any former dev is reading this, and you have the asset files...maybe just maybe email it to Wowfunhappy. We will keep our mouth shut. :P
Like wowfun said, they are probably under NDA's still...
Wowfunhappy wrote: As I said before, is Unity's refusal to compile c# code without assets simply a safeguard, or are the assets required on a technical level?
Well, if you have a key but not the door what use does the key have? They key makes the door "work", but you cant make it work if there is no door.
You have the source code, but not the project files/assets. If you dont have the assets, then what use is the source code? I'm not sure if this made sense.

Basically, your code is referencing something that is NOT there. How could it work when there is nothing to apply the code on? Unity's compiler will not let you compile if there are any errors, such as referencing items that are not there because it WONT WORK.

At least thats what I think
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

But of course, we DO have the assets, just in their compiled form. And we can combine the code with said assets once it's compiled.

...I've been informed that Atmosphir's C# actually SHOULD compile without the assets. He's not sure if the game will actually accept said code, but the compilation should go through.

But like everyone else, I get errors when I try to compile with Unity... maybe because we're using a newer version? Does anyone know what version of Unity was being used?
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Wowfunhappy wrote:But of course, we DO have the assets, just in their compiled form. And we can combine the code with said assets once it's compiled.

...I've been informed that Atmosphir's C# actually SHOULD compile without the assets. He's not sure if the game will actually accept said code, but the compilation should go through.

But like everyone else, I get errors when I try to compile with Unity... maybe because we're using a newer version? Does anyone know what version of Unity was being used?
I believe most of the game was developed on Unity 2.0 as we were informed in a Jumpstart when Unity 3.0 came out..
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Wowfunhappy wrote:Okay, so I've been informed that Atmosphir's C# actually SHOULD compile without the assets (He's not sure if the game will actually accept said code, but the compilation should go through).

3.1.0f3

But those errors would be different if they were because of the version. It would be like "unsupported class" or something.

I imported a 3.5 project to 4 and it worked perfectly, but it just throwed "Notices" saying that a certain class was outdated, use this instead. Nothing compiler based, though.