The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

An Open Letter To The Developers Of Atmosphir

General discussion about Atmosphir.
Khronologic

An Open Letter To The Developers Of Atmosphir

Post by Khronologic »

To whom it may concern:

First off, I would like to say how sorry I am about the events following the events following December 2011. I hope you and all the other developers are able to find jobs again and continue getting a steady income. However, I hope you can take the time to answer a few questions regarding Atmosphir and other developments.

First off, what happened to the developers who were supposed to work on Atmosphir? I understand that the Atmosphir domain is currently not owned by anyone (since when you open the domain, atmosphir.com, it says the website cannot be found), but what happened to everyone who was supposed to continue the development of the game after their "MMO"? Who owns the rights to Atmosphir currently? What happened to Halsey and Minor Ventures?

Next, is there any chance that an unpacked version of Atmosphir can be released? Is it still within your power to make Atmosphir open source? If not, do you know the contact information to the owner of the copyright, so that I may contact them and see what I can do? If none else, what happened to the game?

Lastly, how is development of Voxelus doing? I understand that both the site isn't being paid for, and that the head developer has left (Xavier?). However, has there been any progress since the earliest release? Is there still anyone working on it (at least once a week)? Has the project shut down, and will it ever be revived?

I know that these are a lot of questions, and that you don't have to answer all of them. However, I just want some of this cleared up so that all of this can be concluded. I'm sorry to see such a great development team fall apart, after all the hours they put into the games only to have them fall apart because of greed. I wish you and the entire team the best of luck in the future.

Sincerely,
Khrono

P.S: If this is in the wrong section, feel free to move it.
Baufritz
Location: Trapped on a huge round rock hurtling with immense speeds around a fiery star.
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Post by Baufritz »

Those are some good questions.
If it's broken, fix it.
If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

I'm not a Developer, but i think i can try to answer some of these...

It is not within the old developer's power to make Atmosphir open source. Halsey owns all the rights to it.
Huh, you cant even get into the MiVe site anymore. It's probably been like that for some time now, though. I think I read somewhere that Halsey got bankrupt? But don't quote me on that, I am not sure.

Also, I asked Xavier here if he is still continuing the development of Vox and he said maybe. My thoughts are that since Xavier was the only one working on the game, BlaPo is surely not going to be releasing Voxelus and I think the domain of voxelus.com was owned by BlackPony as well. So there is still some hope that Voxelus could "rise up" from the dead.

On what happened with the atmosphir developers? Nobody knows. I tried contacting Rohan a while back and i got no response. Since they haven't even cared about the site/let everything just die, my thoughts are that they PROBABLY just aren't going to do anything about it. MAYBE at the least they release it open source or release it on the unity asset store (for a price) but that is very unlikely.

Hope some of this helped.
SirWrek
Editorial Staff
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by SirWrek »

You can't even get into the Voxelus or Atmosphir sites anymore either last time I checked... Hmm...
I've been around since 2008. And I'm old. Yay. Pretty sure I notched a fair amount of LOTD/XPs but somehow always like my underrated levels more. Go figure. My best design days are behind me, but I'll try to not be too shabby.
Swords761

Post by Swords761 »

Khronologic wrote:To whom it may concern:
I hope you and all the other developers are able to find jobs again and continue getting a steady income. However, I hope you can take the time to answer a few questions regarding Atmosphir and other developments.
Don't worry about them, they've all moved onto other projects and companies. This was just a job like any other, it wasn't a personal attachment like it was for everyone here. This also means none of them are actually viewing this forum, let alone frequently, or even know about its existence (or frankly don't care to know).
Khronologic wrote:First off, what happened to the developers who were supposed to work on Atmosphir? I understand that the Atmosphir domain is currently not owned by anyone (since when you open the domain, atmosphir.com, it says the website cannot be found), but what happened to everyone who was supposed to continue the development of the game after their "MMO"? Who owns the rights to Atmosphir currently? What happened to Halsey and Minor Ventures?
Halsey is now a washed up fraud who is hiding from the government and has a reputation that has set the bar so low that it'd be amazing to see it drop any further. His companies and their employees have followed similar suit. The Atmosphir name and assets are still owned by him however; he selfishly refuses to sell, let alone return, anything back to those who he owes.
However, do know that the domain is still registered to Rohan, and that nothing has been done about it because it'd be a waste of their "precious" time to try and give it back for nothing in return.
Khronologic wrote:Next, is there any chance that an unpacked version of Atmosphir can be released? Is it still within your power to make Atmosphir open source? If not, do you know the contact information to the owner of the copyright, so that I may contact them and see what I can do? If none else, what happened to the game?
The same greedy idiots you talk about above own the copyrights. There isn't much more we can say on the subject because this is simply what happened- nothing more. Thus you won't ever get the game open source.
Khronologic wrote:Lastly, how is development of Voxelus doing? I understand that both the site isn't being paid for, and that the head developer has left (Xavier?). However, has there been any progress since the earliest release? Is there still anyone working on it (at least once a week)? Has the project shut down, and will it ever be revived?
You answer your own questions here- no one has touched it since he left since he was the only developer, not just the head. They say it "might" come back if someone out of the selfless goodness of their heart wants to work on it without pay, but I highly doubt it because everyone ever associated to working on this game either needs to spend all their time working for money to live, or has so much money that they just throw it into the air and ignore the fanbase. Also, the domain name expired on February 8th and it doesn't look like anyone is going to pay for its renewal, meaning no one cares or is invested in bringing it back.
Lemon
Editorial Staff

Post by Lemon »

This is just how the industry goes. We all knew what Atmosphir was. Nobody hits it big with their first project.
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

I hope I don't send the wrong message by locking this, but I feel like its been discussed enough times, and it's time to move on.