The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Rush 5460

Share great levels you've made or played.
ElectroYoshi
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Rush 5460

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Rush 5460 is race level I created. It's set in space on a group of spaceships that are at war with each other, and you have to stay in one piece long enough to reach the end.

Screenies below:
Spoiler
The beginning of the level, inside a spaceship.

Outside that very same spaceship.

Down the cannon...

...and up the smokestack.
Check it out on the play browser!
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Oh, that looks pretty neat! I quite like the Owl Spike trap bit! What happens in the gap outside the room in which the Owl Traps are? I see something there, but I can't quite make out what it is :P
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Phantomboy wrote:What happens in the gap outside the room in which the Owl Traps are? I see something there, but I can't quite make out what it is :P
Those sections (And really, everything in the screenshot can be described the same way) are basically just platforming/dodging sections.

This is just the very beginning of the level. I plan on making it much more interesting as time moves on. ;)
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Looking at it, that actually looks pretty neat - it looks like the section kind of loops back around the previous room on a higher level, which is really neat :)
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Yep, that's the idea. :P
TheLastLink
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Post by TheLastLink »

It looks like an obstacle course though, how are you supposed to get a good sense of speed in a level that claustrophobic
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

For me, especially in games like Kirby, where you are intended to be rushing, say the racing levels. The smaller more dense areas caused a much higher stress level. Also, given the mechanics, in many ways the sonic games are essentially a race set in an obstacle course. The mechanics possessed the capability to move quickly, yet the gameplay had elements of puzzle and precise jumps. So, I think it can be done.

I actually kind of like how each challenge seems to be, at least somewhat, broken up into these smaller rooms. It feels like a factory, or like an industrial place where like things actually happen. I really look forward to this platform/obstacle take on the Atmosphir racing levels, as I think very often they end up just being a large flat area with jumps and power-ups. Nice work on building on top of that :)
Baufritz
Location: Trapped on a huge round rock hurtling with immense speeds around a fiery star.

Post by Baufritz »

Looking forward to this! Any more screenshots you could share with us? :3
If it's broken, fix it.
If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

I bet you were expecting a factory setting...

Also, I have the actual title in mind now, but I'm gonna wait a bit longer to reveal it. Just 'cause I can. :3
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

That's actually quite cool looking :D Space-Abstract world is the best! I look forward to it.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Updates:

This is an anti-gravity section I concocted. The top image is where you're running down the outside of a cannon, and the bottom image is where you're running up the inside of a smokestack. :P
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

That is really neat :D You mentioned anti-gravity, how are you setting up the gravity fields between the inside of the smoke stack and the outer ring? Do the detection areas not conflict?
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Phantomboy wrote:That is really neat :D You mentioned anti-gravity, how are you setting up the gravity fields between the inside of the smoke stack and the outer ring? Do the detection areas not conflict?

They're in two completely different areas. The stuff from the bottom screenshot isn't located inside the cannon seen there. It's in a different area offscreen.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Ah, I see. Well best of luck to you, on your designing ventures - I hope to see the finished level very soon :)
Baufritz
Location: Trapped on a huge round rock hurtling with immense speeds around a fiery star.

Post by Baufritz »

That is looking very interesting!
Phantomboy wrote:That is really neat :D You mentioned anti-gravity, how are you setting up the gravity fields between the inside of the smoke stack and the outer ring? Do the detection areas not conflict?
Triggers :P
If it's broken, fix it.
If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
papaya

Post by papaya »

Phantomboy wrote:For me, especially in games like Kirby, where you are intended to be rushing, say the racing levels. The smaller more dense areas caused a much higher stress level. Also, given the mechanics, in many ways the sonic games are essentially a race set in an obstacle course. The mechanics possessed the capability to move quickly, yet the gameplay had elements of puzzle and precise jumps. So, I think it can be done.

sonic is not a 'racing game' tho, it's a platformer
the race levels in atmosphir were designed for coop racing at first, and then it slowly shifted to a catch-all phrase for 'platforming with high run speed'.

compare the multiplayer stages in sonic 3 to some of the single player stages
[media=youtube]7ydyNYzlb70[/media]
[media=youtube]nEdhGgvy6Oo[/media]
(ok scrap brain is from sonic 1 i just think its a great level)

in this case, yoshi's stage is more reminiscent of the second video compared to the first.
like, if coop worked and I played this with a few people, could we all reasonably expect to be able to have a 'race'?

it doesn't really matter, it's more of a terminology issue than anything

carry on
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Haha, well alright. Sorry about that, Papaya - thanks for that!

Anyway, I do think the difference between the first two screenshots and the most recent ones are an interesting difference! The landmass differences between them are quire immense. I am excited to see what the transitions between those areas are!
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

For what it's worth, I've widened the more narrow paths to make them a bit more co-op friendly.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Level's done and on the browser. Can someone move this to LS?
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Moved, and wip tag dropped from the thread title :P You may need to edit the main post to make it make sense given the context of it being done :P