The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Super Atmo. Race 2

Share great levels you've made or played.
Jamesski

Post by Jamesski »

The level is now up, please remember to back up your criticisms if needed. Thanks! Hope you enjoy and also. This capacity is 93 percent, so let is take a while to load!
Baufritz
Location: Trapped on a huge round rock hurtling with immense speeds around a fiery star.
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Post by Baufritz »

Someone move this to level spotlight, since it's done now?

Alright.
Pretty good game-play, I like the score system.
In terms of environment, I'm not really fond of it. It still looks blocky, and I don't really understand what is taking up that much capacity.
I like the different themes in the level, but make sure you really put lots of work into each one. It's better to have one environment that's well done instead of a couple half-assed ones.
I've put up a couple guidelines/tips on designing better environments, where I describe a few things to improve the looks of your level. Maybe that helps you.
If it's broken, fix it.
If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
papaya
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by papaya »

I went into this level with high hopes, though I'm not quite sure why.

I'm disappointed. It's a 2 star level, at most. The reason is wholly because of the last stage, where shoddy gravity mechanics and pointlessly timed challenges make it much too frustrating - not difficult - compared to the early four stages.

In essence, this is like New Super Mario Bros - each new one feels slightly different to the one that came before, but you still can't shake the feeling that nothing has really changed. Some of the levels use the same gimmicks, and although the graphics might have got an update, it's still the same old game. The first atmo race was terrible, this is no different.

You really, really, REALLY need to stop with the floating paths in the air. Don't do it. Put a wall around your path or something. Make it shorter. Do something so it's not so bland and uninspiring.

stage by stage:
Stage 1 the fire one was a very good start, it's where a lot of my hope for the level came from. Not too challenging, and a lot of space to run freely. However, the consistent stone texture that stretched on for miles made it look tacky and ugly.
Stage 2 is probably the best designed one. Fast, short and sweet, as well as looking not too bad. It's still ugly, sure, but it's an improvement.
Stage 3 is just embarrassing. For the love of god, don't use the Monkey Block that often.
Stage 4 was really really wide and I don't think it had to be. You could've cut the width down to a third of what it was and used the free space to add in some floating platforms. Better than stage 3, but still rubbish
Stage 5 was abysmal. Gravity is always annoying in a racing stage unless done perfectly. Having to grab a tiny little sticky powerup just to advance, after having flown up high in the air, really wasn't fun. Racing stages should not involve precise jumping like that. The rest of it was... ok? Ice blocks really should not be used for running on, though.

also how do you get 4800 points when the max is clearly 800 * 5 = 4000?

tl;dr 2 stars, don't bother playing.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Thread moved to Level Spotlight :) Thank you for mentioning that Baufritz.
Jamesski

Post by Jamesski »

tl;dr 2 stars, don't bother playing.
your opinion, now stop... that's a bit harsh...
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Jamesski, it's a review. The level wasn't very good, and bad reviews reflect this.
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

I think there will always be people demanding more from reviewers and more from producers. I think that is just sort of the motion of creative works. It's always important to keep in mind that not every person is going to like everything, and not every person is going to create every thing to your personal taste or standard.

From my experience playing, I think it shows tremendous improvement over the previous level. I will suggest always keep working and creative varied environments with interesting set pieces and a meaningful progression.

I honestly enjoyed the large jumps and gravity switching, the transitions between running and flying is something that I find pretty fun. It would be nice to have only the coin you are going to earn appearing at a set time, simply because at times I would have earned a higher score but didn't because I occidentally collected the wrong coin.

But yeah, keep practising, keep making, always room for improvements :)
papaya

Post by papaya »

oh yeah it's a fun level for sure, at least the first two stages are.
the first level was the right balance between difficulty, pace and length
this one would be much better if it was just stages 1, 2 and 4
Jamesski

Post by Jamesski »

KEEP PRIVATE THOUGHTS TO YOURSELF, I GET BETTER TREATMENT AT SCHOOL THEN SOME OF YOU PEOPLE! EXPECT FOR ABOUT TWO OF YOU YOU ALL HARSH, I WILL NEVER TALK ABOUT MY LEVELS AGAIN OK, GOOD BYE!
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

Jamesski wrote:KEEP PRIVATE THOUGHTS TO YOURSELF, I GET BETTER TREATMENT AT SCHOOL THEN SOME OF YOU PEOPLE! EXPECT FOR ABOUT TWO OF YOU YOU ALL HARSH, I WILL NEVER TALK ABOUT MY LEVELS AGAIN OK, GOOD BYE!
but seriously i lold
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
Baufritz
Location: Trapped on a huge round rock hurtling with immense speeds around a fiery star.

Post by Baufritz »

Jamesski wrote:KEEP PRIVATE THOUGHTS TO YOURSELF, I GET BETTER TREATMENT AT SCHOOL THEN SOME OF YOU PEOPLE! EXPECT FOR ABOUT TWO OF YOU YOU ALL HARSH, I WILL NEVER TALK ABOUT MY LEVELS AGAIN OK, GOOD BYE!
Added this in the other thread, but here we go again.
Baufritz wrote: Listen to what other people say about your level.
There is a fine line between criticism and bashing. Most peeps on here do try leave criticism though, and it's your job as designer to listen to them. Learn to take criticism.
If people say "Wow, that owl spike trap is so OP, make it spin less fast", don't tell them right away how bad they are at playing the game. Go back into your level, test the spike trap, see if it's really as hard as they say. If it is, change it. If it isn't that hard FOR YOU, tell them that. BUT DO NOT BASH THEM.
Same goes for the environment. If people say "that just looks bland", go back to your level, and assess it from a neutral point of view.
Not everybody praises you. Learn to take criticism, it'll REALLY help.
If it's broken, fix it.
If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

If you could not spam caps lock please. Be considerate and follow the rules.

Plus, if you can't take criticism, then it's best not to share things at all.
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

We've gotten kind of off-topic. That is partially my fault, I do apologise. I was going to delete the off-topic posts and prompt us to get back on topic. However, I suppose we can continue like this.

All I can really say is, I am sorry, it's always a good thing to take criticisms with a grain of salt until you have personally looked back over your level to see if the criticisms are valid. Nothing said here is 100% and I think that is an important thing to remember. So, if I can leave on anything it is - be respectful when both reviewing and being reviewed.
StreetLights wrote:Plus, if you can't take criticism, then it's best not to share things at all.
I personally don't think that encourages improvement at all. Rather, it discourages even trying. The encouraged solution shouldn't be to not share things but rather improve at one's own evaluation of their own work. Not trying does not lead to improvements, nor does discouraging sharing lead to better content.

In regards to the level, I think it was a promising step towards improvement and a mark of a designing listening to the previous criticisms of their last level. To me, that is pretty important.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

The thing about levels that aren't good is that they give you a basis FOR improvement. I used to churn out a lot of bad levels, but even after I started to improve with Atmosphir's design mode, I kept those drafts for reference. Why? Because that way I could look at them to avoid repeating my mistakes. On that level, this level did have improvement on your part. Small ones, but you know what? Progress is progress.

Just remember: The expert in anything was once a beginner.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

The thing about levels that aren't good is that they give you a basis FOR improvement. I used to churn out a lot of bad levels, but even after I started to improve with Atmosphir's design mode, I kept those drafts for reference. Why? Because that way I could look at them to avoid repeating my mistakes. On that level, this level did have improvement on your part. Small ones, but you know what? Progress is progress.

ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

TheLastLink

Post by TheLastLink »

Phantomboy wrote:I personally don't think that encourages improvement at all. Rather, it discourages even trying. The encouraged solution shouldn't be to not share things but rather improve at one's own evaluation of their own work. Not trying does not lead to improvements, nor does discouraging sharing lead to better content.

In regards to the level, I think it was a promising step towards improvement and a mark of a designing listening to the previous criticisms of their last level. To me, that is pretty important.
Feedback is not a one-way street. On the one hand the person giving the criticism should at least word it in a way that is useful and can be used to improve things (in addition to withholding personal attacks). On the other hand, the person ASKING for feedback has to be prepared for the possibility that it might not be positive, and they must have the will to respond to it and address it. None of this "All negative feedback must be sugarcoated" nonsense.

That seems reasonable to me.

EDIT: And on the actual level itself, I didn't like it either. It was a little better than the first one, and there were a few improvements, but there were still so many mistakes that could have easily been corrected. I don't think he went nearly far enough in interpreting the feedback he got for his previous level into actual design changes.
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

Also you, as the creator, are incredibly biased. Duh.
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb: