The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Super Atmo. Race 2

Share great levels you've made or played.
Jamesski

Super Atmo. Race 2

Post by Jamesski »

This game is the newest game in my racing series. This game is not even half way done yet, but I want to you guys screenshots and new info about it.

Like in the new Mario kart games, the first 2 courses will be retro courses from the past game. They were re-built completely so they will look a bit different for the better.

The new scoring system is what follows...
1st place - 800 points
2nd place - 400 points
3rd place - 200 points
and of course, 4th place is game over.

These new tracks will have more character to each of them and I hope you all like it!
Spoiler
ImageThis Is the first retro track from the original Super Atmo. Kart, Lava Mountain River!
This another course from Super Atmo. Kart, Candy Road!
Ok, new updates coming soon. Thanks for reading!
ThatOneFox
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ThatOneFox »

To quote papaya
The level design is really super ultra boring. The second race didn't look as bad as the others, but they were all still very uninteresting. The floating cookie island things were a good start, but since they were clearly copied and pasted, just looked like giant blobs in the sky. Last stage was really boring visually.
Even as much as changing the skybox would have made for a much more entertaining level.
plus it was too easy. Like, way too easy.
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
Baufritz
Location: Trapped on a huge round rock hurtling with immense speeds around a fiery star.
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Post by Baufritz »

If you want it to float in the sky, try to make it look like islands or something, if you want it to be on solid ground, block off the view to the abyss. Make it look like it could actually exist in some form.

And for Christ's sake, change the goddamn skybox.
If it's broken, fix it.
If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
Jamesski

Post by Jamesski »

I said the level was not even half way finish, that is going to be add in. And guess what? You have not even played the level. This hurt my feeling a lot. I can't believe great community like omb would be so rude like that and judge a book by it's cover!!!!

and Papaya has not played it, have you played this level yet.., No! So please stop. Thank you.
Baufritz
Location: Trapped on a huge round rock hurtling with immense speeds around a fiery star.

Post by Baufritz »

Calm down, I was just giving you suggestions on how to improve your level. Like you said, it's not done yet, so you can think about it, and maybe make it better. Sorry for hurting your feelings.
If it's broken, fix it.
If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
Jamesski

Post by Jamesski »

Calm down, I was just giving you suggestions on how to improve your level. Like you said, it's not done yet, so you can think about it, and maybe make it better. Sorry for hurting your feelings.
Thanks, but it was really streetlight that push me over the edge.
Mr. Grim

Post by Mr. Grim »

Looks bad.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Alright, while I think the arguments of the first two arguments still hold some ground and could be listened too, let me offer it slightly differently. Any constant, of any kind, needs to be punctuated by something. So, from textures to gameplay to line-of sight, the player should never be presented the same thing without change. So, for textures, mixing up rotation, colour choice, tilt and vertical placement adds diversity and really helps diminish the tiled look, that unfortunately many Atmosphir textures cause. Game-play, you seem to have covered pretty well :) From the last level of yours I played, there was a mixture of various different expectation. So good job on that!

Finally line of sight. It is a great trait of design, to obscure future areas of gameplay, at least a little. This can decrease the likelihood of the player finding a way to skip an entire section, but it also leads them to being unable what to anticipate. Say you include a massive jump, if the player can see that jump from the very beginning, constantly, they will be less impressed than if they've only seen a glimpse of it as they passed through some trees. So like that, Rainbow jump over lava, looks super neat, but make sure there is ways, cohesive ways to break up sight of it, whilst the player is approaching. In many ways you are tricking the player into expecting one thing, then giving them something else.

So, I know all of these things balloon design time. Which, can be frustrating and time consuming. But, I think it is all in the better service of you level :)

I hope this makes a little sense, and I am really excited to see new stuff from you!
TheLastLink

Post by TheLastLink »

It looks the same as the first "Super Atmo Race".
Jamesski

Post by Jamesski »

TheLastLink wrote:It looks the same as the first "Super Atmo Race".
Trust me, it is quite a bit different.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

A fine line for everyone to tread, notice the difference between constructive criticism and being bluntly harsh without justification. While this isn't to say that people cannot voice their opinions, it is just the artist/creator must evaluate what is or isn't a valid piece of feedback. I suppose this is something for everyone to keep in mind. Improvement is only as good as the feedback in, and improvement can only be made if the creator is able to critically analyse the feedback to see if it is true or not. In both sides, it takes some reluctance to simply fall into paper-thin insults. I think we all have room for improvements.

Anyway, to stop myself from turning this into "Let's discuss creative feedback" let me finish with this :) What are the first two courses, how different will they be? Also, I am excited to see the lava/flying bit from the screenshots, the multiple paths kind of suggests shortcuts :) Which are always super neat to have!
papaya
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by papaya »

if this is anything like your previous level (which by the looks of it it is) then I will say that the core gameplay was quite fun. Short, high speed races are always a good level

we're merely offering advice on how to make it look less like a floating path in the sky
maybe you should make the track smaller rather than bigger, then add walls to it. or did what you did in the previous level, and add floating islands in the background. Stuff that the player can't (or shouldn't benefit from being able to) jump on, but can at least look at.

consider rainbow road

yes, it's a floating path in the sky. But look at that star. It's a centrepiece of the track. Racers go around that track in a loop, and your focus isnt just on the wonderful pattern on the road but also what's in the sky.

even making the track more varied in height is good. Make a loop (somehow). Make the track go in a helix. Make the curves less tight. Add speedboosts. Make it so that if I play the level twice, I have a chance at improvement. Make it so if I play the level twice, I won't want to gouge my eyes out from the blandness of the background.

also, this is sound advice for anyone making a racing level, not just james.
DvChayz

Post by DvChayz »

Jamesski wrote: This hurt my feeling a lot. I can't believe great community like omb would be so rude like that and judge a book by it's cover!!!!
if you're going to want to make levels that are actually fun then you need to learn to take criticism.
TheLastLink

Post by TheLastLink »

Jamesski wrote:I said the level was not even half way finish, that is going to be add in. And guess what? You have not even played the level. This hurt my feeling a lot. I can't believe great community like omb would be so rude like that and judge a book by it's cover!!!!

and Papaya has not played it, have you played this level yet.., No! So please stop. Thank you.
How on earth are you going to get better at designing if you won't listen to any negative feedback whatsoever? Negative feedback is just as important.
There's no need to take the criticism personally. Really. In fact you could take all the criticism of your previous level and the pre-release feedback of this next one and use it to make your level into something great, but you'd need to be able to withstand negative signals period, before that happens.
DvChayz

Post by DvChayz »

this scene is familiar isnt it
Jamesski

Post by Jamesski »

TheLastLink wrote:How on earth are you going to get better at designing if you won't listen to any negative feedback whatsoever? Negative feedback is just as important.
There's no need to take the criticism personally. Really. In fact you could take all the criticism of your previous level and the pre-release feedback of this next one and use it to make your level into something great, but you'd need to be able to withstand negative signals period, before that happens.
it's called private message, people send me ideas and HELPFUL tips to improve my level, so yes. It will be improved.
DvChayz wrote:this scene is familiar isnt it
kind of, the first two screen shots you have seen before because they are retro tracks, but the other three will be brand new, don't worry. I think it will be a good improvement from the last one!

[Posts merged]
DvChayz

Post by DvChayz »

i didn't mean the level i was talking about something else lol
i'll say something about the level when it actually comes out.
Jamesski

Post by Jamesski »

papaya wrote:if this is anything like your previous level (which by the looks of it it is) then I will say that the core gameplay was quite fun. Short, high speed races are always a good level

we're merely offering advice on how to make it look less like a floating path in the sky
maybe you should make the track smaller rather than bigger, then add walls to it. or did what you did in the previous level, and add floating islands in the background. Stuff that the player can't (or shouldn't benefit from being able to) jump on, but can at least look at.

consider rainbow road

yes, it's a floating path in the sky. But look at that star. It's a centrepiece of the track. Racers go around that track in a loop, and your focus isnt just on the wonderful pattern on the road but also what's in the sky.

even making the track more varied in height is good. Make a loop (somehow). Make the track go in a helix. Make the curves less tight. Add speedboosts. Make it so that if I play the level twice, I have a chance at improvement. Make it so if I play the level twice, I won't want to gouge my eyes out from the blandness of the background.

also, this is sound advice for anyone making a racing level, not just james.
thanks you so much for clearing that up XD yes, I am trying to make this new one more detail with details and a pattern, stuff like you said I'm trying to do!
Jamesski

Post by Jamesski »

Good news, the level is almost done and should be out by next Tuesday!
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

I am very excited, James :) Keep us updated!