The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Papaya's Treasure Hunter

Share great levels you've made or played.
papaya
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Papaya's Treasure Hunter

Post by papaya »

this name is better than the WIP of 'treasure hunter' because my name is in it

so, what if we took the brilliant treasure hunting elements of my best level, Protector II, and combined it with the brilliant visuals of Ascension? Hopefully something similar to this level.
Spoiler
So the plot is very simple - you're a treasure hunter, or explorer, or Indiana Jones reincarnated, and you're told to investigate this old ruin that has been discovered in this mine. You're given a handful of bombs and told to get on with it. Unsurprisingly, things go badly and you're left to find a way out and hoard all the treasure you can find on your way.
Spoiler
The visuals are pretty uninteresting to be honest. In fact, a lot of the style of the level comes purely from free rotating and scaling the same few blocks. However, I feel that gives it a sort of charm. There's the grey bricks, the green bricks, those miscellaneous bricks with the monkey face and whatever. Then there's lava blocks, and maybe some muka flooring. Some stone bricks too. However, I feel these all combine together to give a really ruined, haphazard and deranged feel to the level.

However, unlike my two earlier levels, this does not suffer from the same problem they did.
Protector II was repetitive. If you didn't know the secrets, the pattern to the traps, the level was pretty unfun. With only one checkpoint, it also got pretty tiring. Hence, very few people have beaten it. Ascension was challenging. Too challenging. Like, seriously way too challenging. God knows what I was thinking.

This level fixes both of them through an ingenious solution I like to call the 'Everybody Wins' concept. You start off with two lives, and there is only one checkpoint. Once you die, a teleporter beneath the checkpoint whisks you away to the finish flag. Therefore you get to keep any score you had got up until then. With an infinite timer, time makes no difference to final score. If you succeed in beating the level, you get a bonus for having that extra life. However, dying is of little consequence. Leaving is the only way to 'lose' the level.
Spoiler
I also added in an achievement system. Doing certain feats within the level will reward you with bonus points at the end. You'll be thrown into a room with loads of info stickers detailing the achievements. If you have completed the requirement, there's a bronze, silver or gold coin for your effort. The challenge now is to get all the achievements you can.

I've been working on this for far longer than I should ever have, but it's done now.

here is a list of all the achievements
Spoiler
Bronze (100 extra points)
Minus Three?: Speak to a certain sinking statue head
Participation Award: Go through the first door. That's it.
The Final Hurdle: Die in the room just before the key with the thin ledges.
Shortsighted: Ignore all parts of the level besides the initial area, the lava cave and the room with the key.
Blast Will and Testament: Read a note, blow up a block.
Impatient or Forgetful?: Fail to get the bombs at the start.
The One Percent: Get over 10k points.
Are You Not Entertained?: Spend 15 minutes in the level.

Silver (300 extra points)
Long Way Down: Find the Mask at the top of the level (accessible from the initial area - just head up)
Light Up The Night: Find the Mask in a cage (There are four torches on pillars that you need to light up - just walk next to them to light them)
Quality Atmosphere Platforming: Find the Mask that's way too hard to reach (Sorry about this one. It's too hard. Not deadly, just frustrating)
Nature is Amazing: Find the Mask near the plantlife (you can find it at one end of the lava flow in the big lava cave)
A Winner Is You: Beat the level (get the key and return to the checkpoint)
Bomberman: Blow up every blow-uppable block

Gold (750 extra points)
Speedrunner: Find the key in three minutes or less (you will need to head straight to the key or else you'll run out of time to get this. Then go back and find the rest of the treasure if you want).
Masquerade: Find all of the Masks AND get the A Winner Is You achievement.
Lead Us Not Into Temptation: Get the A Winner Is You achievement with 50 or less points. (You'll want to get this coin first or else it'll disappear)
The TheLastLink Award: Solve every puzzle involving pushable blocks. There's four (two are mask puzzles, one is found just off the side of the initial area and the fourth is a secret (it involves a pushable block covering a gem))
pls play, rate, subscribe, comment, repost, reblog, favourite, retweet, unsubscribe, give 5 stars, review, subscribe again and enjoy
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

From the sreenshots, this level looks fantastic :) I do not currently have a computer in which to play it, but I will let you know as soon as I am able to play through it. Visually and conceptually though, I really like it!
SirWrek
Editorial Staff
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by SirWrek »

Yeah, I played it the other day and loved it. Quality work as usual Paps.
I've been around since 2008. And I'm old. Yay. Pretty sure I notched a fair amount of LOTD/XPs but somehow always like my underrated levels more. Go figure. My best design days are behind me, but I'll try to not be too shabby.