The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

The Box Of Insanity

Share great levels you've made or played.
12'sTheLimit

The Box Of Insanity

Post by 12'sTheLimit »

This level will drive you insane trying to win... The Box of Insanity This level traps you in a 5x5 block "insane prison" with tons of fake solutions to the level. only the very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very smart can win this level. Out now in the Play Browser
freekboy31

Post by freekboy31 »

Wow I'm convinced by these beautiful screenshots! Will play later (next year)
:crate: :atmobot: coming soon..... :sentrybot:
:brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :monkeyblock: :brickblock: :brickblock:
:brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock:

ElectroYoshi
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ElectroYoshi »

OK, honestly. I don't understand why you don't need a picture...

I played the level yesterday. It's a nice concept, but I think more could've been done with it.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
12'sTheLimit

Post by 12'sTheLimit »

You don't need a picture because the level is so small that I could only get very few pictures without showing the info stickers...
Not to mention the level is completely visible as soon as you start.

I don't make pictures anyway because someone told me you have to upload them to a picture site, and I don't want to join one for posting pictures only on this site...
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

OK... I still think you'd benefit from one, but I can understand your mindset.

Also, most image sites don't make you get an account in order to upload images. Postimage.org doesn't have accounts at all, at least not to my knowledge. Tinypic is pretty reliable too, or you can just download ShareX and get screenshots that way.

OK, now that I've completely derailed this thread from its original topic, lets get back to that. :P
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
papaya

Post by papaya »

puzzles with no hints and bullshit arbitrary solutions are the absolute worst

1 star because of poor aesthetics and poorer gameplay

also please for the love of god do not use postimage or tinypic they are awful
use http://imgur.com/ as your standard and use minus for hi-res images and gifs (I.E if it doesn't fit on imgur)
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Please, let's stay on topic. If a topic creator wants to share or discuss something, let's stay away from solely image reactions.

In terms of the actual level I am left a bit in the dark, as not having access to the game currently. It is too bad there isn't further description further sell the level. From what I have gathered, it is sort of an enclosed puzzle level? Perhaps I can provide an actual review or response once I am able to play again :P
12'sTheLimit

Post by 12'sTheLimit »

@papaya: There is a solution to the puzzle... and the whole point of the fake puzzles is to laugh at the messages the key I will post below in a spoiler:
Spoiler
Notice that every single item in the room has a colored block under it. The key to winning is revealed by the dark blue blocks, the message in front of the one not under the start flag tells you to stand on it for a while (a while being 3 minutes) to win. Of course, this block does not send you to the finish, as that would be to easy, but it does show you that the dark blue blocks are teleports. So this is the solution, go to the dark blue under the start flag and stand on it for three minutes to be teleported to the finish flag.
@Phantomboy: Updated the first post with a description. I forgot about descriptions somehow...
papaya

Post by papaya »

upon replaying it I found that one of the four 2D walls blocking you from reaching the gravity switch above the finish flag isn't there - you can just walk straight into the finish.

But see the (i assume only intended) solution you posted there is not a good puzzle. See, although to you it's plainly obvious that you have to stand on a block for three minutes - I mean, duh! - not once is it actually alluded to that the magic winning effect of the blue block applies to all blue blocks like it. It doesn't even imply that by standing on it for an unknown length of time, you'll teleport. Standing on the blue block it tells you to stand on reveals nothing.
This coupled with the treasure chest (which, correct me if I'm wrong, is on a block of the same colour?) shows that some of the 'hints' are there to trick you and mislead you and waste your precious time. I, finding that the block I stood on for ages does not work, will then assume that it is not the solution. There's obviously a more active solution than standing in one place for half an hour, or else I would've won.
The fact that each actual element in the level (the bomb, the key, the chest, etc.) is on a coloured block would lead you to believe that this is merely part of the aesthetic. Every interactive element has a coloured block beneath it. Never would I make the connection that a single block could have two elements, because none of the other blocks do.

There's another problem in that standing in one place for any length of time when the goal is RIGHT THERE is really, REALLY boring. Standing in one place in atmosphir is boring. Waiting is boring. Nobody wants to wait. I can't even move away from atmosphir while I wait because that pauses the game. Why on earth would I, or anyone, have the willpower to both find a specific spot and stand there for 3 minutes?
Don't believe me? my level titled 'Get the Cupcake' is a good example (if you don't mind me tooting my own horn). To get more than 50 points, you have to wait 2 minutes, and a block in the back will open, revealing a bigger treasure. Otherwise, its a case of just walking up to the cake. Because I make it seem really plainly obvious what the solution is, nobody wants to stand around and wait. The opposite is true - because you made the solution seem really farfetched and complex, nobody wants to stand around and wait. It's not good level design to assume that the player knows exactly how to beat the level with no guidance. Pretty much every game worth its salt has some built in way of showing the player how the game works. You can look at even SMB World 1-1 for this. The very first segment of the level, of the game, introduces a goomba to the player and teaches them that they can jump over it. It also teaches them about powerups. It's insanely clever.
To do the same here, you need some sort of feedback to the player. Is what I'm doing the right thing? If waiting on the other blue block did teleport me after a short while, but not to the finish flag (perhaps onto the start flag?) I might make the link that blue block = teleport. Don't argue that the info stickers tell you this either. They don't. In fact, the one in front of the fake block specifically refers to that one block and that one block alone. 'This block' or something. If I stand on 'this block' then I can except to win. If I don't, clearly the info sticker is lying. After the amount of times the info sticker outright lies to the player or hinders them, they will never listen to it. They'll never pay attention to it. I won't bother to read between the lines for the info stickers because as far as I'm concerned they aren't gonna tell me jack.

in short
1. It's not obvious that standing on same coloured block = victory because
1a. info stickers lie constantly
1b. standing on original block does nothing.
2. standing in one place for a length of time longer than a few seconds is a really boring puzzle element.
12'sTheLimit

Post by 12'sTheLimit »

@papaya: I need to state why I make levels like this. I hate games (especially puzzle games) that tell you exactly how to win. For example, LEGO video games: every single LEGO game I have played (not to mention there nothing to get excited about) tell you how to win every puzzle with arrows that tell you exactly where to go. I hate this with utter hatred. To my levels (i.e. 9 blocks and this level) got to the extreme opposite and make to puzzle solution seem completely unachievable. The point of this level is for it to be impossible and make the play try every thing it take for them to win. Even solutions that cannot be deduced obviously. So, this and 9 blocks are more impossible levels and not puzzle levels. Also the puzzle element in this level was actually an after thought and was not even going to be in the level.

Also, the treasure chest is suppose to be and a gray block not a blue one (if I understand your post correctly).
SirWrek
Editorial Staff

Post by SirWrek »

Well, experimentation is always fun and intriguing in games. The thrill of finally discovering how to beat something without having your hand held the whole way is excellent. So make your levels however you feel the need to make them, explanatory or no. :)
I've been around since 2008. And I'm old. Yay. Pretty sure I notched a fair amount of LOTD/XPs but somehow always like my underrated levels more. Go figure. My best design days are behind me, but I'll try to not be too shabby.