The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

The End -expert

Share great levels you've made or played.

Is this a good use of stickies?

No
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 3

jr727holst

The End -expert

Post by jr727holst »

This level was designed to be difficult but not unfair which is hard to do in atmosphir. There are no mobs bar 1 crab (I lowered its health to 50: 4 hit kill with sword) And sometimes if a section looks impossible it is because it is… look for another way (PS. there aren't many of these at all, most sections are possible).
[indent][/indent]
You are deep underground in the lair of some crazed maniac and must find your way up and out into the world again before you die.
[indent][/indent]
Time is not a problem in this level, take as long as you need (160 mins) and you start with 25 lives (there are lots of life power ups around, but if this is still too low a number of lives do tell me & I'll change it)
[indent][/indent]
Screenshots:
[indent][/indent]
Spoiler
[indent][/indent]
Short video:
[indent][/indent]
This doesn't spoil anything. It just shows off a concept in the level. I saw in a thread Papaya claiming that sticky power-ups were terrible and should never be used. Up until this point I hadn't used them, but I wanted to see if I could make them usable… (By no means is this the only mechanic in the level don't worry)
[indent][/indent]
So I gave them an extremely short timer, and used them as a way to do wall running. Like this:
[indent][/indent]
[MEDIA=youtube]Zc0hJ0jc9jo[/MEDIA]
[indent][/indent]
Any feedback of this kind of use for stickies would be useful to me for other levels. Thanks!
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Firstly, this level looks really really nice :) I think the touch lighting always provides a very nice ambient directional lighting.

In terms of the sticky power-ups I think that is a really nice use of them, I would need to see how it feels in-game but just in terms of utility, it seems to take some of the awkwardness out of the sticky power-up which is usually when you are expected to jump. I have not played the level yet, but I am very impressed :)
SirWrek
Editorial Staff
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by SirWrek »

It is an excellent level. Well designed and well rounded from what I saw.
I've been around since 2008. And I'm old. Yay. Pretty sure I notched a fair amount of LOTD/XPs but somehow always like my underrated levels more. Go figure. My best design days are behind me, but I'll try to not be too shabby.