The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Crypt

Share great levels you've made or played.
jr727holst

Crypt

Post by jr727holst »

Hi, this is an exploration based level focused around a central room (shown best by screenshots 1,3 & 9) where you just look around for as much treasure you can find. You can get a much higher score than the minimum needed to complete the level.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the level!

Thanks.

Screenshots:
Spoiler
matthewbny
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by matthewbny »

Level looks great, playing it at the moment.

What's your designing technique? I can never make small levels, and even if I make bigger levels I lose focus more often than not and lose interest in the project.
Don't you just hate when someone cuts you off in the middle of a sente
jr727holst

Post by jr727holst »

matthewbny wrote:Level looks great, playing it at the moment.

What's your designing technique? I can never make small levels, and even if I make bigger levels I lose focus more often than not and lose interest in the project.

Thanks!

As for my designing technique, I don't really know what I do, I kind of make an area and make more detailed as I go. Sometimes I make a blocky room (hollow cuboid) and then rotate a lot of the walls and floors once I know what I want the room to look like. I generally make enclosed levels as they are easier to make look good as you can control everything the player can see (from any angle). Finally I guess I use a lot of different block types together to increase contrast and colour.

As for big vs small levels, I start making a level with a general idea of what I want to have in it. Then as I make it I keep play testing the level until I feel it is long enough.

A few months ago I posted a couple of time lapses of me making a big level on the OMB website

(beware very repetitive music used in the timelapses)
http://onemoreblock.com/forum/threads/d ... eted.2433/

Maybe that will help you see, but that level took a while to make so the time lapses are sped up a lot.

Hope that helped in some way!
Baufritz
Location: Trapped on a huge round rock hurtling with immense speeds around a fiery star.
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Post by Baufritz »

That looks astonishing. Will play it today.
jr727holst wrote:Thanks!

As for my designing technique, I don't really know what I do, I kind of make an area and make more detailed as I go. Sometimes I make a blocky room (hollow cuboid) and then rotate a lot of the walls and floors once I know what I want the room to look like. I generally make enclosed levels as they are easier to make look good as you can control everything the player can see (from any angle). Finally I guess I use a lot of different block types together to increase contrast and colour.

As for big vs small levels, I start making a level with a general idea of what I want to have in it. Then as I make it I keep play testing the level until I feel it is long enough.
That's my designing technique as well, really helps when you have lots of stuff in your head to just build it and piece it together later on.
Now, if only I could have some ideas... they all escaped my head :(
If it's broken, fix it.
If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
Baufritz
Location: Trapped on a huge round rock hurtling with immense speeds around a fiery star.
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Post by Baufritz »

WHY WOULD YOU TROLL US LIKE THAT
But other than that, solid gameplay and awesome environment!
If it's broken, fix it.
If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.