The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

The Nightmare Castle

Share great levels you've made or played.
ThatOneFox
Design Competitions Voted: 1

The Nightmare Castle

Post by ThatOneFox »

Now available on the play browser. It's been a very long while since I've made a straight-up platformer, so enjoy! (Or don't enjoy, w/e)
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
Baufritz
Location: Trapped on a huge round rock hurtling with immense speeds around a fiery star.
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Post by Baufritz »

Pretty challenging. The first parts aren't that hard, but you really have to save up on lives if you want to make it through the final section.
If it's broken, fix it.
If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
papaya
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by papaya »

played it, half of it, died partway through and replaying was effort

gameplay: gold star
nothing too offensive here, nothing groundbreaking either. The sandstorm trap was neat, but not very challenging. No exciting elements but no unclear and confusing elements. Decent difficulty. Good.

story: no star
because there is no story, though there doesn't need to be anyway.

atmosphere: silver star with gold tips
felt spooky, nightmarish, whatever you were going for. The torches were neatly placed, all around good. Not great, because of..

aesthetics: you tried star
simply and bluntly, it looks like arse. I get what you were trying to go for, and it kinda works (and believe me if it did work it'd look fab), but still falls flat on its face. Take the second screenshot as an example. Remove the top level, and ditch those spikes on the doors (seriously, dude) and that'd be one cool-ass dungeon level. instead we have these fat blocks in the sky looming above you all the time. If this was in an actual castle setting, sure, whatever, but where it's all disjointed it just looks really, dare i say, lazy. The looks feel rushed and that really detracted from the awesome little platformer you had going.

overall B for effort D- for execution see me after class