The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

[JANUARY16] Official Level Awards

Share great levels you've made or played.
Entity
Editorial Staff
Design Competitions Voted: 1

[JANUARY16] Official Level Awards

Post by Entity »

OneMoreBlock has started 2016 with a bang; so much progress has been made on the server, and now we almost have multiplayer working. With this revival has come a new wave of excellent levels that deserve recognition, and so, since the store is working, we would like to officially recognize a few of these levels each month with the "LOTD" tag in-game, and 500 atmos given to the designer.

So without further ado, I am proud to present OneMoreBlock's first wave of level awards.
Last edited by Entity on January 31st, 2016, 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Entity
Editorial Staff
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Re: [JANUARY16] Official Level Awards

Post by Entity »

Review by Entity

We had a few levels nominated for "Best Story" category this month, however once we found this one it instantly topped the list. You play as none other than the legendary Cameron who is trying to escape from... er, well, you're not really told. An underground abandoned warehouse I guess? After aimlessly stumbling around in the dark, solving simple puzzles and riding elevators, you finally locate the exit and stumble into the blinding light. But, just when you think you're free... An ominous tune plays, and you hear a voice.

Maybe you're not as safe as you thought.

The thing that really set this level apart was its cinematics, and the way it told a story without words. Sure, there were a few info boxes that popped up occasionally, but they were short and few in number. Instead of text popping up saying "Oh no, I have been imprisoned but luckily I have found a way to escape," that message is conveyed very clearly in the way the room is designed.

One final thing I really admired; zardini clearly has an excellent understanding of the camera system, but that is made exponentially more apparent and enjoyable due to the fact that, listen up now kids: he hardly used cameras in the level. The most difficult part of using gimmicky items like cameras is knowing when to use them and when not to. In 'Revival,' there is only one cutscene throughout the entire level, just a second or two long, but then once you get to the end... well I won't spoil it, but it was very well executed. It was even timed to the music for crying out loud.

Review by ZeroSwordsMaster

Papaya's Equinox can apparently be beaten without stopping or ledgehanging.

I can see how, but the visuals really distracted me from doing that.

All jokes aside, Papaya's equinox perfects the aesthetic of "blocks floating in space"; the pink backdrop creates visual chaos while still maintaining order, with the various sections of the main level twisting and turning throughout. Rather than looking like a random array of blocks, Equinox appears to be a well orchestrated flow of colors, with a challenging course to boot.

Review by Entity

Some platforming, nifty hazards, a key you'll have to backtrack and find if you didn't get it the first time; this level can be quite a challenging. However it's actually a lot less difficult than it seems the first time you play it. The low time limit and the close-quarters of this level can be intimidating, but the entire level can actually beaten within 90 seconds.

That's the thing about this level though, it's short and sweet, but also deep. You could go back and play it five times and find a new secret area every time. And you're rewarded amply for exploration, via points and time powerups.

All of the hazards and blocks, I have to say, were placed with extreme attention to detail. Even though the corridors can be tight, the camera is always naturally in a position that allows you to see everything you need, so if you die, it's your fault! Blocks are free-placed to create nooks you can duck into at the last second, and to prevent you from accidentally busting through a doorway and killing yourself on the first hazard before you can even see it.

Review by ZeroSwordsMaster

Lost Temple of Stone by MrJamie is Atmosphir at its core; treasure hunting, platforming, and finding the finish flag. The level has a consistent visual aesthetic, and provides moderate challenge without being unfair. The level is small, but discovering all the items and ascending the temple proves to be the true challenge.

Finding the finish flag is the easiest part of the level; finding the treasures are another issue. Although the level appears linear at first, the majority of the treasures are hidden away in various nooks and crannies, lending to a sense of discovery when you find that narrow chute to find the next statue.

The simplistic design elicits memories of Pre-Stratosphir Atmosphir, while still incorporating some of the aesthetic advancements of the Unity Atmosphir.
Baufritz
Location: Trapped on a huge round rock hurtling with immense speeds around a fiery star.
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Re: [JANUARY16] Official Level Awards

Post by Baufritz »

Congratulations to the winners!