The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

[Feb 2016] Official Level Awards

Share great levels you've made or played.
Entity
Editorial Staff
Design Competitions Voted: 1

[Feb 2016] Official Level Awards

Post by Entity »

The votes have been cast! The levels are in!

Just kidding, there's no voting involved. A panel of highly trained baboons was paid minimum wage to type out this thread. It took a few quadrillion years, but it's finally done! (That's why this thread is a day late.)

We would like to officially recognize these levels with an in-game "LOTD" tag, and a 500 atmo prize credited to the designer's account.
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
SirWrek
Editorial Staff

Re: [Feb 2016] Official Level Awards

Post by SirWrek »

My screenshot will hardly do the level the justice it deserves, the irony of which is not lost upon me considering it has been given the laurel wreathe accompanying LOTM for Best Visuals. If this were an Oscar, here's your Mad Max. I'll keep this short. I've promised Fox a comprehensive breakdown of the level and that review is for another time. This one is for focusing on the highlights, of which there are many- not just limited to visual design.

From the onset, the level makes great use and reuse of hazards and blocks. I did my best to exploit it and came up dry in pretty much every instance- there's no easy way around the obstacles you'll face. You're just going to have to buckle down and tackle them head-on. The sandcastle pack is utilized with gusto but that's not the only environment you're going to see. I was pleasantly surprised that each time I thought for sure the level was going to come to an end when I dropped down into a newly opened hole or stepped through a new gate, I was greeted with yet another checkpoint or yet another chamber full of traps and treasures.

The level is surprisingly lengthier than it lets on and that's not the only card it doesn't show from the start. Balancing lives and treasure collecting is a fun diversion throughout, although your only goal is to find your way to the elusive finish which rests on the top of the final sandcastle. I myself willingly sacrificed many lives for treasures in areas where it either required precise timing or a deathwish. However this was not a waste nor did it boot me from the leaderboard running as I currently hold first place of the five players to beat it with two million six hundred and ten thousand points.

Tropica is a great challenge for beginners looking to improve their playing skills or to get some inspiration for creative traps and platforming in their own levels. It's not as easy as it seems at times, nor is it as difficult as some would make it out to be. It is on the whole an entirely enjoyable and rarely frustrating experience. Entirely deserving of both LOTD and LOTM for Visuals.
I've been around since 2008. And I'm old. Yay. Pretty sure I notched a fair amount of LOTD/XPs but somehow always like my underrated levels more. Go figure. My best design days are behind me, but I'll try to not be too shabby.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

Easy and Challenging.
Are these two adjectives opposites? Yes.
Are they mutually exclusive? Well if you thought so before, this level will change your mind. Because it is both of these things, the level provides a low barrier for entry, and a great experience for players of all skill levels.

Easy: You have two minutes to pick up 500 points and find the finish flag. Piece of cake.

Challenging: But can you top the leaderboard?????

This is an underwater level, BUT (here's the catch) it doesn't use any sort of water blocks. It's awesome, unique, and I love the aesthetic. Good work Baufritz!
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

Even though it's an open-ish exploration type level, it still wouldn't be a plainwrek level without a low jump, and hair-tearingly difficult platforming!

You have 20 minutes to find 500 points scattered throughout the level. The open terrain is filled with little platforming puzzles, and completing each one will award you with a small amount of points (usually 25). It was really refreshing to play a level where the difficulty came from having to complete a lot of little things over a longer timespan, as opposed to running out of lives from insta-kill hazards.

If you see a platform with a coin on top and you're wondering how to get on top, just think of the most inconvenient place that a ladder could be, and that's where you'll find it ;)

A great level overall: challenging, and rewarding.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

These kinds of levels are my absolute favorite.

I would not say this level was technically difficult in any way, meaning the challenge didn't come from jumping or fighting. While there is certainly a fair amount of both here, the level was actually quite easy. The primary point of interest is the narrative.

When I think back on the level though, I realize the narrative was actually fairly bare bones. So why is this level getting best story then, you ask? Because the narrative it had was engaging. I felt like, in some small way, the world that Jamesski created was a real place. Maybe it was the route markers, maybe it was that I actually enjoyed reading what the info stickers had to say (and I hate reading info stickers). I dunno. But it was fantastic, and it made me feel good. We need more levels like this.

Just a few notes if you play this level:
  • FOR HEAVENS SAKE TALK TO ALL THE CHICKEN STATUES.
  • Explore as much as you can.
  • Kill every enemy.
  • Also, don't immediately groan when you start the level with no jump. It doesn't get annoying, I promise.
You may reply now.
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Thanks for giving tropica the best visuals award :D. I put a lot of work into that level.

In fact, i'll use this opportunity to show a picture of the sequel.
Spoiler
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
Baufritz
Location: Trapped on a huge round rock hurtling with immense speeds around a fiery star.
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Post by Baufritz »

Wow, I won something? Thanks :cameron: :D
Now I'm gonna design all my levels in the 30-minute timeframe of this level :3

Also congrats to Fox, SirWrek and especially Jamesski!
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Baufritz wrote:[/size]

Also congrats to Fox, SirWrek and especially Jamesski!
100% this. All the others are by established designers so it's really nice to see something by Jamesski in the level awards. I'll have to check that level out soon.
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
SirWrek
Editorial Staff

Post by SirWrek »

Yes, congrats to Jamesski for sure.
Jamesski

Post by Jamesski »

Wow guys: thanks for the recognition for this level! I appreciate it and hope you guys enjoy it. I'm working on another level like this. Expect is in the next couple of weeks to a month. Also, congrats to the other winners! :)