The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Troubleshooting

Having technical issues or problems with the game? Let us know here!
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Troubleshooting

Post by Wowfunhappy »

Anecdotally, I've seen various people say they are unable to run Atmosphir and/or connect to the custom Atmosphir server. I'm not sure what's going on, but I want to fix it.

First, I want to make sure we're all on the same page, so if you're having issues, please follow these steps:

1. To ensure you have the correct version of the game, delete or backup your current copy of Atmosphir. Go to this thread and Download either the Windows or Mac version, depending on your platform. Do NOT download the Dev Version. The completed download should be 338MB on Windows and 317MB on Mac. If the size does not match, try downloading again.

2. Unzip the downloaded file. On Windows, right click on the file and select "Extract All". On Mac, simply double click on the file, and it should open in Archiver, an extraction program built into OS X. If, for some strange reason, you still cannot extract the file, you can try using a 3rd party unzipping program. I highly recomend 7-Zip to Windows users, or StuffIt Expander to Mac users.

3. Run the game. On Mac, simply double click on the application you just extracted. On Windows, right click on Atmosphir.exe and select "Run As Administrator". If Windows asks if you want to allow the program to make changes to your computer, select "Yes". Don't worry, Atmosphir won't actually change anything. The Atmosphir launcher will start, and spend about 60 seconds checking for launcher updates. If another security dialogue shows up, click "Run". A second, 30-second-long loading screen will appear, after which you should arrive at the play browser. Congratulations, you're running Atmosphir on OneMoreBlock's custom server!

If you're still having trouble, post in this thread. I'll add problems and fixes to this post as we figure out how to resolve them.
matthewbny
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by matthewbny »

Why exactly can't we download/use the Dev mode? I find it kind of senseless to put it up for download without it proper instructions on how to run it.
Don't you just hate when someone cuts you off in the middle of a sente
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

Feel free to download and experiment with the dev version if you feel so inclined, it's very cool! However, the dev version is not configured to connect to the custom server, and the fact that it's intended for developers means bugs, crashes, and all sorts of other issues are inevitable.

A couple of people in the past have had issues with the game because they downloaded the dev version instead of the normal one. Dev mode is great for fooling around and experimenting with unreleased features. But if you want to actually play the game, you'll want the standard versions.
dragonbo

Post by dragonbo »

Is there a way to run Atmosphir on windows without the whole administrator thing? I have to use my dad's work laptop since we have no other computer now, and it requires smart card credentials to do any changes to the computer. I don't believe my dad knows them and he doesn't know administrator account info either, so I'm kind of out of options.
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

dragonbo wrote:Is there a way to run Atmosphir on windows without the whole administrator thing? I have to use my dad's work laptop since we have no other computer now, and it requires smart card credentials to do any changes to the computer. I don't believe my dad knows them and he doesn't know administrator account info either, so I'm kind of out of options.

Unfortunately, I dont think so. The game sometimes decides to load without an administrator account, so if you're REALLY dedicated you could keep just keep trying it may eventually start, but you'll probably run into issues. The desktop version of Atmosphir was always designed to be run as an admin and that's not really something I can change. :(
DerekItoldu

Post by DerekItoldu »

i keep getting this

There should be 'Atmosphir_Data'
folder next to the executable

EDIT: ok Now i got past that problem but now when i try to run the Atmosphir. exe it stops responding instantly and then freezes my computer
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

Please, go through all of the instructions in the first post very carefully to make sure you're doing everything properly.
DerekItoldu

Post by DerekItoldu »

oki fixed it and now it is in the launcher looking for updates. So how do i access the dev mode?

Edit: I have everything running correctly now. Thank you so much for bringing this game back. :D
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

The thread with the download links also has a link to download developer mode. Note that it's kind of hit-or-miss whether or not dev mode will work on any given computer, so if it doesn't work there probably isn't a fix.
DerekItoldu

Post by DerekItoldu »

Dev mode works fine on my computer
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

Good! Have fun exploring!
m0525

Post by m0525 »

The Launcher is checking continuously for updates and won't stop
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

m0525 wrote:The Launcher is checking continuously for updates and won't stop
Did you download the corrected version from the forum post here? If so, try clicking on the Atmosphir_Data folder and launching the Atmosphir application in there. It will not open up the Level Browser but it should allow you design levels :)
m0525

Post by m0525 »

Edit: It works, but is it gonna take that long every time?

P.S. the onemoreblock edit post thing didn't work for me, so i had to double post
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

m0525 wrote:Edit: It works, but is it gonna take that long every time?

P.S. the onemoreblock edit post thing didn't work for me, so i had to double post
It shouldn't, hopefully, for me at least the time seems to fluctuate a bit each time. I believe that is the result that it is trying to connect to a server that no longer exists, so it has to wait to hear back as it continually tries to connect. Unfortunately, I am not 100% sure on that but I believe that to be the cause.

PS: No problem, if it doesn't work then that's alright :) If nothing shows up in the edit box click the "more options" button that should allow you to edit it, sorry about that!
UC101

Post by UC101 »

Mine doen't connect to the server, it just sits there waiting for updates like said above.. I waited a full hour and it didn't load. But I heard you were making a custom launcher some time?
We are anomalous.
We are region.
Forgive and forget.
Expecto patronum.
:?:
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

UC101 wrote:Mine doen't connect to the server, it just sits there waiting for updates like said above.. I waited a full hour and it didn't load. But I heard you were making a custom launcher some time?
Hmm, what software did you use to unzip the file? I had issues when the game was first uploaded using the original software I used - have you used 7-Zip?

Also, I am not sure about the custom launcher thing - I've not heard of that until just now. I will look into that!
UC101

Post by UC101 »

Phantomboy wrote:Hmm, what software did you use to unzip the file? I had issues when the game was first uploaded using the original software I used - have you used 7-Zip?

Also, I am not sure about the custom launcher thing - I've not heard of that until just now. I will look into that!
I'm on mac so I used Archive utility, But I'm trying on win7 now (I dual boot)
We are anomalous.
We are region.
Forgive and forget.
Expecto patronum.
:?:
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Of course :) Let us know how that goes!
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

UC101 wrote:Mine doen't connect to the server, it just sits there waiting for updates like said above.. I waited a full hour and it didn't load. But I heard you were making a custom launcher some time?
I'm on a mac as well. Make sure you're not on the Dev version since I'm 100% sure the version posted on here does NOT connect to the server at all.

It should work regardless of unzipping with archive utility or some other thing. Make sure you've downloaded the entire file, though. The downloads can be interrupted sometimes.