The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

[discussion]: How Can "surfing" Be Implemented Into Atmosphir Levels?

Working on a new level? Have Tutorials to share? Post your work in progress here!
tta

[discussion]: How Can "surfing" Be Implemented Into Atmosphir Levels?

Post by tta »

this may seem kind of dumb but

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Surfing

^^surfing mechanics in tf2, cs or whatever games allow it

obviously atmosphir handles physics differently but I do know that surfing, to some extent, is a functional game mechanic in atmosphir. It just handles a lot differently.

Rather than pushing against a ramp, you push in the direction you want to go. pushing against the ramp will have different results

i'll upload a level to demonstrate what I mean and what this could mean as a mechanic in other atmosphir levels. just play around with ramps in design mode and post your findings

i am counting on you
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

That actually looks pretty cool! I might have a poke around with this. I bet tilted ice blocks will the gravity played with a bit might do the trick :P
tta

Post by tta »

I uploaded the level "Surf", but I never thought about using ice blocks
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

That might be something to look at, I mean they deal with momentum really strangely. Mainly a walking cycle is carried out much longer, so rather than sliding to a stop you just sort of walk twice as far - So, I don't know how well it would work - but worth a thought :p
TheLastLink
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Post by TheLastLink »

The ramp/diagonal surface mechanics in atmosphir have always been disappointing TBH

At least that's what I've found
DvChayz

Post by DvChayz »

remember you're dealing with unity physics here

unity physics