The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Wip: Treasure Hunter

Working on a new level? Have Tutorials to share? Post your work in progress here!
papaya
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Wip: Treasure Hunter

Post by papaya »

$100 in monopoly money for a better name

so, what if we took the brilliant treasure hunting elements of my best level, Protector II, and combined it with the brilliant visuals of Ascension? Hopefully something similar to this level.
Spoiler
So the plot is very simple - you're a treasure hunter, or explorer, or Indiana Jones reincarnated, and you're told to investigate this old ruin that has been discovered in this mine. You're given a handful of bombs and told to get on with it. Unsurprisingly, things go badly and you're left to find a way out and hoard all the treasure you can find on your way.
Spoiler
The visuals are pretty uninteresting to be honest. In fact, a lot of the style of the level comes purely from free rotating and scaling the same few blocks. However, I feel that gives it a sort of charm. There's the grey bricks, the green bricks, those miscellaneous bricks with the monkey face and whatever. Then there's lava blocks, and maybe some muka flooring. Some stone bricks too. However, I feel these all combine together to give a really ruined, haphazard and deranged feel to the level.

it should come as no surprise from this, that the main music I used as inspiration came from Death Grips
Spoiler
[media=youtube]uqcTVVUFnKQ[/media]
Have felt what few will ever know
Have seen the truth beneath the glow
Of the ebb and flow, where roots of all mysteries grow
However, unlike my two earlier levels, this does not suffer from the same problem they did.
Protector II was repetitive. If you didn't know the secrets, the pattern to the traps, the level was pretty unfun. With only one checkpoint, it also got pretty tiring. Hence, very few people have beaten it. Ascension was challenging. Too challenging. Like, seriously way too challenging. God knows what I was thinking.

This level fixes both of them through an ingenious solution I like to call the 'Everybody Wins' concept. You start off with two lives, and there is only one checkpoint. Once you die, a teleporter beneath the checkpoint whisks you away to the finish flag. Therefore you get to keep any score you had got up until then. With an infinite timer, time makes no difference to final score. If you succeed in beating the level, you get a bonus for having that extra life. However, dying is of little consequence. Leaving is the only way to 'lose' the level.
Spoiler
I am also considering adding in an achievement system. Doing certain feats within the level will reward you with bonus points at the end. You'll be thrown into a room with loads of info stickers detailing the achievement. If you have completed the requirement, there's a bronze, silver or gold coin for your effort. The challenge then will be to try and unlock all the achievements.

I've been working on this for far longer than I should ever have, but haven't made a thread until now. It's probably 60% done.
TheLastLink
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Post by TheLastLink »

I'd play it
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

It looks really nice visually. I'll definitely play it once you're done.
DvChayz

Post by DvChayz »

it looks beatufiulf
Baufritz
Location: Trapped on a huge round rock hurtling with immense speeds around a fiery star.
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Post by Baufritz »

Love the screenshots, can't wait for the level :D
If it's broken, fix it.
If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
freekboy31

Post by freekboy31 »

I love it, the level is going to be very very adventure!! I couldn't wait to play this in level browser.
:crate: :atmobot: coming soon..... :sentrybot:
:brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :monkeyblock: :brickblock: :brickblock:
:brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: