The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Pro Tip From A Terrible Designer

Working on a new level? Have Tutorials to share? Post your work in progress here!
TheLastLink
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Pro Tip From A Terrible Designer

Post by TheLastLink »

Stop leaving all of the properties as the default, unless it actually benefits your level.
For Example:

Skyboxes

Time limit

Run speed/Jump height

Score multiplier

Your level is going to look amateurish if you leave any of these as the default with no clear reasoning as to why. Go through all of these properties for your level and figure out what setting fits best.

Thoughts?
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

I want to first encourage people to make levels, because creating things is the best way to improve. I agree with most, except for regarding the moving properties and score multiplier. While, there are examples of a default set up not really adding to the experience. I don't think that will really contribute to a level looking amateur. However, I suppose everyone evaluates levels differently :P
DvChayz

Post by DvChayz »

i was going to make this post but tll beat me to it

so yea dont leave things on

tta

Post by tta »

fast run + low jump + low grav = good lvl
ElectroYoshi
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Skybox: Personally, I think if you want to have a level set in, say, broad daylight, the default skybox is the only one that really works. If for some reason "broad daylight" benefits your level (which, to be honest, is kind of hard to picture), then by all means, use the default. But not if it doesn't. That just comes off as lazy.

Time limit: A lot of levels don't really benefit from having a time limit at all. I usually either a) give infinite time, or b) set the time limit to 30-60 minutes. Probably the only exception is race levels, but even then, it should be changed from the default time. I haven't done this with my new race level yet admittedly, but that's only because I don't know how long it'll actually end up being yet, meaning that 10 minutes could possibly end up being the perfect amount of time.

Run speed/Jump height: I'm gonna have to disagree with run speed. I think the default run speed is just right. Slow enough to be easy to control, but fast enough to make it not take freaking forever to get from point A to point B. I do agree with jump height though. I think the default jump height is the perfect jump height for a platformer, but for everything else, it should be changed.

Score multiplier: I don't think this really matters personally. I guess having a score in the millions in a short level is kind of dumb, but I don't think it makes the whole level come off as amateurish.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
papaya

Post by papaya »

tta wrote:fast run + low jump + low grav = good lvl

I want to stab forks into the eyes of anyone who puts fast run speed and low jump height together
Giantfishy

Post by Giantfishy »

DUDE remember when keys and bombs and stuff gave you 1 point each by default and it was considered amateurish to leave them like that

also sorry paparpington
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

I think really the skybox is the main thing that's never changed. I've seen so many levels with the default skybox it just makes me cringe when I see it. Even just changing the tint color slightly can make a huge difference.

As far as time limit and multipliers, they're not really the sort of thing that make a level seem amateurish, but most great levels do change them. It's sort of like how pixar adds little easter eggs to their movies. It doesn't really make or break them, but it's just polish.
Giantfishy wrote:DUDE remember when keys and bombs and stuff gave you 1 point each by default and it was considered amateurish to leave them like that
Holy crap yes, those were the days.
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
SirWrek
Editorial Staff

Post by SirWrek »

Giantfishy wrote:DUDE remember when keys and bombs and stuff gave you 1 point each by default and it was considered amateurish to leave them like that

also sorry paparpington
^ This.
I've been around since 2008. And I'm old. Yay. Pretty sure I notched a fair amount of LOTD/XPs but somehow always like my underrated levels more. Go figure. My best design days are behind me, but I'll try to not be too shabby.
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

I agree with most of this except for the run speed and jump height.

The default run and jump are set that way because they tend to control very well in a large number of situations. While there's nothing wrong with changing these settings if it suits your level to do so, there's also no reason to mess with them.

I'm kind of torn on the default skybox. On one hand, it is a bit overused and thus can appear amateurish. On the other hand, it's not like there are hundreds of different skyboxes to choose from, so designating one of them as "off limits" is a significant loss.

…I think that using the default skybox is probably okay as long as it was a conscious choice. If you considered all the options and decided that the default skybox was the best fit for your level, go for it. But be sure to experiment with all the options available to you.