The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

I Have An Idea That I Need Your Opinions On.

Working on a new level? Have Tutorials to share? Post your work in progress here!
Cooper7

I Have An Idea That I Need Your Opinions On.

Post by Cooper7 »

I'm trying to make an on-rail shooter where you fly through an aphelion base blasting them with your lazor. Any suggestions or opinions?
Bad At Gravity
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Post by Bad At Gravity »

Grammar? Seriously though, do you have any history making games or is this your first idea? If it's only your first idea you should start smaller.
░█▀▀█ ─█▀▀█ ░█──░█ ░█▀▀█───
░█▄▄▀ ░█▄▄█ ░█░█░█ ░█▄▄▀───
░█─░█ ░█─░█ ░█▄▀▄█ ░█─░█───
Cooper7

Post by Cooper7 »

I don't see what's wrong with my grammar unless you're talking about lazor. And yes, I do have a history making games because I've been with atmosphir for a long time. Even bought club. But sadly I don't have any backups of my old files.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

In the way of suggestions, I recommend breaking the whole level up into smaller challenge rooms with locked doors between each section of the base. It would be best to use triggers to only open the door, and spawn in the enemies of the next room, once the first room has been completely cleared. This both drops the number of enemies the players computer will be trying to render and also means the over all challenge will be more focused and the player will be less likely to be overwhelmed :)

Best of luck, and take care!
Cooper7

Post by Cooper7 »

Thanks Phantom. I'll keep your advice in mind.
papaya
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by papaya »

Connormon99 wrote:Grammar? Seriously though, do you have any history making games or is this your first idea? If it's only your first idea you should start smaller.

this is about making a level in atmosphir, not a standalone game (thats why its in design workshop)...

honestly the biggest issue i see with an on rails shooter is that the aphelion ranged attacks knock back and will basically force you off a moving platform. even if you used the basket one it'd still be considerably easy to just get pushed out.

unless by on rails you mean something closer to phantom's suggestion of just a whole lotta shooting and no platforming, in which case the best way of doing that is probably just room after room of enemies, or spawn them in waves in the same room, but thats a lot of messy triggers compared to just area triggers for phantom's idea
Bad At Gravity
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Re: I Have An Idea That I Need Your Opinions On.

Post by Bad At Gravity »

Oh...
░█▀▀█ ─█▀▀█ ░█──░█ ░█▀▀█───
░█▄▄▀ ░█▄▄█ ░█░█░█ ░█▄▄▀───
░█─░█ ░█─░█ ░█▄▀▄█ ░█─░█───