The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

A Little Preview Of Something I'm Working On...

Working on a new level? Have Tutorials to share? Post your work in progress here!
Newah

A Little Preview Of Something I'm Working On...

Post by Newah »

If you know me, and my levels from Atmosphir, you know that I love racing levels. More than just that, I love racing levels that include lots of visual spectacle. Something that really gives off some eye candy. Here's my most recent attempt!

(those things floating there are supposed to represent hot air balloons.)
That's a pretty big tower right there, and to give you a sense of scale, it scales over 100 blocks high.

I'm trying some new ideas with this level. Specifically, I've turned the walk speed up to 40. With that speed comes instability, so I've designed the level with that in mind. In part of the level you literally run up the side of that building, and keep running, and I've designed it with a cylindrical gravity pull at the top, so if you keep running you orbit around to the other side and run down it.

I'll be posting more pictures soon, and perhaps even videos if I get to it...
Nazmus

Post by Nazmus »

Nice skyscraper! But it seems you are running out of capacity. I hope you can make the level complete before that thing reaches 100%
Newah

Post by Newah »

I hope so too. It's really stupid that the sand castle props take up as much capacity as they do...they really don't cause lag...
Mr Meow Meow

Post by Mr Meow Meow »

Looks great! ~(O.O~)
SerPo

Post by SerPo »

Oh, that looks nice, can't wait to play it!
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

Great work! Looks cool!
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
ElectroYoshi
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ElectroYoshi »

That is lookin' frickin awesome. Can't wait to play it!
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
Newah

Post by Newah »

Thanks, I'm now going to make it with the Dev build...infinite capacity FTW!
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Newah wrote:Thanks, I'm now going to make it with the Dev build...infinite capacity FTW!
How is that going? I personally haven't been able to get dev working but I have been messing around with my a few ideas here and there. Any major new breakthrough?
Semesto

Post by Semesto »

Any updates?
matthewbny

Post by matthewbny »

Phantomboy wrote:How is that going? I personally haven't been able to get dev working but I have been messing around with my a few ideas here and there. Any major new breakthrough?
Actually, I'm not exactly sure if dev mode has 'unlimited' capacity, I haven't tested it out yet. I'm going to do so as of now. The bad thing however is that you're going to have to load the level on dev build instead of the regular build should the capacity reach 100%, which I have no way of figuring out.
Don't you just hate when someone cuts you off in the middle of a sente
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

matthewbny wrote:Actually, I'm not exactly sure if dev mode has 'unlimited' capacity, I haven't tested it out yet. I'm going to do so as of now. The bad thing however is that you're going to have to load the level on dev build instead of the regular build should the capacity reach 100%, which I have no way of figuring out.
Oh - forgot I never kept my post here updated. Since then I have gotten the developers version working, although I haven't launched it for a bit but I believe the capacity is unlimited. Of course at some point it may crash the machine it is on, but as far as the capacity it displays - the number seems kind of weird and unrelated occasionally.
matthewbny

Post by matthewbny »

Phantomboy wrote:Oh - forgot I never kept my post here updated. Since then I have gotten the developers version working, although I haven't launched it for a bit but I believe the capacity is unlimited. Of course at some point it may crash the machine it is on, but as far as the capacity it displays - the number seems kind of weird and unrelated occasionally.
I have nothing to go on, but I believe it may be the poly count for the combined models in the level.
Don't you just hate when someone cuts you off in the middle of a sente
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

The dev mode has unlimited capacity.

Furthermore, over-capacity levels created in the dev build that don't use dev-specific items are still playable in the normal build.

Feel free to go over capacity if it allows you to create better levels. I'll still upload them to the play browser (within reason).

Just don't use more than you need. Remember, with each added prop, the potential audience for your level-- the number of people who have computers capable of running your level at a playable frame rate-- decreases.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Wowfunhappy wrote:Just don't use more than you need. Remember, with each added prop, the potential audience for your level-- the number of people who have computers capable of running your level at a playable frame rate-- decreases.
Ah! That is a good way of looking at it :) If (major if) costume content added to the game ever becomes a thing - will there be similar rules as the original level browser had? That all levels uploaded needed to be 100% vanilla? Or might a modded sorting category be added to the play browser (again, a big if.)
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

This is off-topic, but yes: If we created custom content, and it worked without glitches, I would add it to the main, non-dev, One More Block Atmosphir download. Once I did so, yes, you'd be able to upload levels with said custom content to the play browser.

now, back on topic. :P