The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Atmosphir Site (one More Block 2.0)

A place to talk about our community
Flameforlife

Atmosphir Site (one More Block 2.0)

Post by Flameforlife »

I kind of agree with Minike. I like all of you, but things need to be fixed. Swearing, come on, we're all above twelve years old, we do it away from the screen, get over it. Pigflags, that's a fun little thing, but open up a LITTLE bit. A forum area like THAT is going to have crap like that, it's just going to happen. And we DO seem more devoted to Atmosphir revival, so why don't we format the site like it? Go under maintenance or something like we used to.
Like ATMOSPHIR, and One More Block site, or something? And format it to look like Atmosphir did in it's prime? Make it the same as Atmosphir, since we're so dedicated to it. Come on guys, it's time to make some SERIOUS CHANGES.
Have a Minecraft forum like Atmosphir did, Off-Topic, Fan-art, General Discussion, everything. Instead of making a new site and wasting our money, we just need to open up. Do more. It's time to start forgetting the whole "original community" thing. It didn't work out anyway. Atmosphir wou;dn't became as successful as it did without "spreading it's wings", and we can't either. We can make a little chat room for original members or whatever. JUST. OPEN. UP. It's time to change, and I say we change to the Atmosphir way, because we ALL loved it, and it stayed alive for some time. It's time for change.

P.S. Does anyone have the account info for the Atmosphir YouTube Channel? That's a great place to start for getting noticed. I'll take over. For videos, at least. Just PM it to users willing to post on it, if we really want to revive Atmosphir. And don't give me that, "We want to preserve the original community" crap, I've had enough of it.
Baufritz
Location: Trapped on a huge round rock hurtling with immense speeds around a fiery star.
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Post by Baufritz »

Flameforlife wrote: P.S. Does anyone have the account info for the Atmosphir YouTube Channel?
As far as I know, only the Devs had access to that.
If it's broken, fix it.
If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
ThatOneFox
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ThatOneFox »

Flameforlife wrote:
P.S. Does anyone have the account info for the Atmosphir YouTube Channel? That's a great place to start for getting noticed. I'll take over. For videos, at least. Just PM it to users willing to post on it, if we really want to revive Atmosphir.
I think this would be more a task for the editorial staff.
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

If we were to have access to the original Atmosphir YouTube, which I don't believe is the case, it would be I think, much more open to have some sort of video "team" or process to allow people to post their stuff. However, perhaps we would want to post simply some sort of updated trailer that can link towards OMB, however that doesn't necessarily need to be on the original Atmosphir account.

EDIT:
To comment on some of the main points,

I whole-heartedly agree that the site could use some further changes to better support the community. I actually have a note to talk with Wowfunhappy about some thoughts next time he has the chance. So, I will let you know the results of that :) Not to cause anyone to go off and just make one, but what does the community think of a new logo? Or even removing the Minecraft character from the current one? Food for thought.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Phantomboy wrote: Not to cause anyone to go off and just make one, but what does the community think of a new logo? Or even removing the Minecraft character from the current one? Food for thought.
Well, our current logo makes this sound more like a Minecraft forum, so changing it might be wise...
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
Giantfishy

Post by Giantfishy »

Flameforlife wrote: Swearing, come on, we're all above twelve years old, we do it away from the screen, get over it.

I couldn't agree more to be honest. When I came to this community (as well as the Voxelus forums), I was expecting a revival of the Atmosphir community but with more maturity - and while I don't think you can pin down any one user of OMB as being 'not mature enough', I feel like the community as a whole hasn't really matured at all. I'm sure we've all matured by however many years it's been since the prime of Atmosphir, but for some reason when we come back together as a community, we don't really act like it, for fear of disrupting 'how it used to be'... or something.

To be fair, I'm not a regular here, and there are a lot of you who I don't know very well, but that's just how it seems, from my perspective.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

Giantfishy wrote:I couldn't agree more to be honest. When I came to this community (as well as the Voxelus forums), I was expecting a revival of the Atmosphir community but with more maturity - and while I don't think you can pin down any one user of OMB as being 'not mature enough', I feel like the community as a whole hasn't really matured at all. I'm sure we've all matured by however many years it's been since the prime of Atmosphir, but for some reason when we come back together as a community, we don't really act like it, for fear of disrupting 'how it used to be'... or something.

To be fair, I'm not a regular here, and there are a lot of you who I don't know very well, but that's just how it seems, from my perspective.
I personally don't swear, but everyone else is adhering to rule 2 (which is enforced).
Swearing or using similarly offensive words is also prohibited.
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Flameforlife wrote:Swearing, come on, we're all above twelve years old, we do it away from the screen, get over it.
Giantfishy wrote:I couldn't agree more to be honest. When I came to this community (as well as the Voxelus forums), I was expecting a revival of the Atmosphir community but with more maturity - and while I don't think you can pin down any one user of OMB as being 'not mature enough', I feel like the community as a whole hasn't really matured at all. I'm sure we've all matured by however many years it's been since the prime of Atmosphir, but for some reason when we come back together as a community, we don't really act like it, for fear of disrupting 'how it used to be'... or something.
OK, I really don't understand why not being allowed to swear is such a big deal. Granted, I don't know how the forum benefits from that rule, but alternatives for swear words are not hard to come by. Basically every swear word in existence has an overabundance of synonyms, so it's not like the ability to say them is indispensable. Not to mention that it doesn't even do much to emphasize the point you're trying to make.

Now, in all fairness, I will also say that I almost never swear off-screen, so that rule doesn't affect me that much. I could be being biased because of that. But even then, I still think it's a very trivial matter to get worked up over.
boberto

Post by boberto »

I curse like a sailor, anyone who has talked to me over Skype will know, but I'm not complaining that we aren't allowed to swear on the forums. Why? Because it keeps things classy, and makes posts all-around sound less hostile.

As for opening up the community or expanding via YouTube I say it's far too late. This forum isn't meant to grow Atmosphir or attract new members... the game barely even exists anymore. The official website is only accessible through Way Back Machine and the developers have all moved on. Dave is Senior Experience Designer Lead at Adobe. Good on him.

I say we simply try to keep everyone who still remains from our terrific community here at OMB so we can still talk to each other for years to come. The game is dead, but the community is still alive and well. :)
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

boberto wrote:I curse like a sailor, anyone who has talked to me over Skype will know, but I'm not complaining that we aren't allowed to swear on the forums. Why? Because it keeps things classy, and makes posts all-around sound less hostile.

As for opening up the community or expanding via YouTube I say it's far too late. This forum isn't meant to grow Atmosphir or attract new members... the game barely even exists anymore. The official website is only accessible through Way Back Machine and the developers have all moved on. Dave is Senior Experience Designer Lead at Adobe. Good on him.

I say we simply try to keep everyone who still remains from our terrific community here at OMB so we can still talk to each other for years to come. The game is dead, but the community is still alive and well. :)
You sure have been away for a while...

Most (essential) parts of the game are now functional thanks to Nin, a fellow OMB user. The level browser is working as well as uploading levels and accounts and a lot of stuff, and it's being worked on by a team of like 3 people I believe.

Also, if you want to keep in touch do join the Steam group (if you actually use Steam :P ). It's right over here.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

boberto wrote:This forum isn't meant to grow Atmosphir or attract new members...

You're right in the sense that that wasn't its initial purpose, but it can be adapted to accommodate that (Ideas on how to do that were discussed a lot on Skype yesterday). And while I agree this forum may not be meant to achieve the glory that the Atmosphir forums did, I also think we need to find some way to garner at least a few more active users, since activity tends to rise and fall a lot, and it needs to be a bit more consistent.
boberto

Post by boberto »

bionicnacho wrote:You sure have been away for a while...

Most (essential) parts of the game are now functional thanks to Nin, a fellow OMB user. The level browser is working as well as uploading levels and accounts and a lot of stuff, and it's being worked on by a team of like 3 people I believe.

Also, if you want to keep in touch do join the Steam group (if you actually use Steam :P ). It's right over here.

Oh I know, I'm fully aware of all the work that's been done but that doesn't change the fact that the game is simply a community-driven labor of love at this point.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

boberto wrote:Oh I know, I'm fully aware of all the work that's been done but that doesn't change the fact that the game is simply a community-driven labor of love at this point.
Indeed.
Giantfishy

Post by Giantfishy »

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about not being allowed to swear. I'll happily go along with that rule if it's in place... I'm just a bit perplexed as to why it is. As far as I'm aware, nowhere else on the internet is anybody actually offended by swears.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Giantfishy wrote:Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about not being allowed to swear. I'll happily go along with that rule if it's in place... I'm just a bit perplexed as to why it is. As far as I'm aware, nowhere else on the internet is anybody actually offended by swears.
Yeah, I do tend to agree with that. I mean, I personally don't get offended and tbh I use swears all the time xD
But is that rule really something to have this much debate over? I'm sure it was just put in place to keep things nicer around here.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

Well not really a debate, more like everyone agreeing "well I guess I'm fine not swearing, but I still think it's a silly rule"

EDIT: WFH made the rules iirc, so maybe he could shed some light
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

As someone who doesn't really use expletives, but understands there use as common vocabulary - especially on the internet. I think the choice is a bit strange, but like was to keep things appropriate. Especially since a lot of English swears pull from more inappropriate topics. So, while I personally wouldn't mind if he switched to allowing them, a lot of enthusiasm and significance in writing is pulled from having a larger vocabulary to pull from, I also see why they aren't allowed.. Perhaps this would be a talk to delve more into on its own thread if people do want to push towards dissolving this rule.
Swords761

Post by Swords761 »

Regarding the Atmosphir channel- didn't Adz have access to it? Or did AleMango post videos on his behalf?

Regarding swearing on the forums- basically what boberto said; I think a PG-13 atmosphere is appropriate here. We don't need a constant barrage of swears to prove any point or make an argument. Use asterisks to your advantage <3
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

Swords761 wrote:Regarding the Atmosphir channel- didn't Adz have access to it? Or did AleMango post videos on his behalf?
I think Adz did? but he posted a crapload of his videos just on his own channel as unlisted.
Flameforlife

Post by Flameforlife »

ElectroYoshi wrote:I really don't understand why not being allowed to swear is such a big deal.
Now, in all fairness, I will also say that I almost never swear off-screen, so that rule doesn't affect me that much. I could be being biased because of that. But even then, I still think it's a very trivial matter to get worked up over.
I don't swear too much either. And it's not a big deal. Sorry I put it that way, but I'm really tired of people being babies and whining about not being able to. I just want them to SHUT UP. :P