The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Talk ≠ Action

A place to talk about our community
ThatOneFox
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ThatOneFox »

Sounds good to me.
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
kroltan
Developer

Post by kroltan »

I think that someone in the server development team should become admin, so he can adjust the site to better fit the server. Maybe Entity, since he's the most active member?
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

I still think we should have a community vote, but I agree that entity would be a good choice.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

kroltan wrote:I think that someone in the server development team should become admin, so he can adjust the site to better fit the server. Maybe Entity, since he's the most active member?
StreetLights wrote:I still think we should have a community vote, but I agree that entity would be a good choice.

These.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

It would also take someone who knows the system, perhaps some sort of prior experience with Xenforo. Because, it is pretty easy to make a site wide mistake that is really difficult to undo :/
kroltan
Developer

Post by kroltan »

I once was a moderator on a forum that used XenForo, though it was a very old version of it. I would volunteer, and I can guarantee activity at least during weekends, but usually daily.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

Entity wrote:The mods put together a google docs survey and the only field is just your vote for who should be the admin:

Then after a certain period (say a month?) the mods count up the votes (and I think google docs can do that for you) and announce the new admin.
Alright, let's do it.

I was messing around with google forms and I found out you can submit a form as many times as you want, so that's not a very good solution. How about we just PM someone to tally up the votes? It would have to be someone trustworthy. I vote either StreetLights or Phantomboy.
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Something that I don't has been mentioned yet, but while we could pick and "announce" the new admin. Even, with the privileges that I have, I am certain that we will need Wowfunhappys approval and support this, since he is the one paying for the site. So, before we start saying "This will happen" we should probably make sure we have the okay for something like this. You know?
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

Phantomboy wrote:Something that I don't has been mentioned yet, but while we could pick and "announce" the new admin. Even, with the privileges that I have, I am certain that we will need Wowfunhappys approval and support this, since he is the one paying for the site. So, before we start saying "This will happen" we should probably make sure we have the okay for something like this. You know?
I totally agree. If he's fine with it, maybe we should PM him our votes?
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Entity wrote:I totally agree. If he's fine with it, maybe we should PM him our votes?
Perhaps, I am can't say how he would want to do this sort of thing. Especially since he knows his own schedule, maybe he has a break fast approaching where he would want to devote time to doing something. I would feel kind of bad doing a whole "This is what we want to do, here are the things you need to do it!" Perhaps, we should message him our concerns and ideas. I can get in contact with him on skype to let him know, if you guys like.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

yeah, go for it :)
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Also regarding the ES, we'd need access to the blog/homepage so we can post our reviews
(and maybe change member to ES under our names...)
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

I've messaged Wowfun, he should hopefully be taking a lot in the near future :)
StreetLights wrote:Also regarding the ES, we'd need access to the blog/homepage so we can post our reviews
(and maybe change member to ES under our names...)
That would be necessary :) Possible, you guys could arrange some sort of conversation so that all of you can talk. Maybe, a private section for ES could be possible? Although, even with the moderators team, it is easier just to use Skype and PM's. So I don't know :P
(I personally, will be pushing for that with the bulk site update, if it does in fact become a thing :) )
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Phantomboy wrote:I've messaged Wowfun, he should hopefully be taking a lot in the near future :)

That would be necessary :) Possible, you guys could arrange some sort of conversation so that all of you can talk. Maybe, a private section for ES could be possible? Although, even with the moderators team, it is easier just to use Skype and PM's. So I don't know :P
(I personally, will be pushing for that with the bulk site update, if it does in fact become a thing :) )
A forum section would be good so we can write reviews and keep them there for when we post them. We have to use entity's forum at the moment and that has different formatting to Xenforo.
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

I'm perfectly in favor of setting up the site to be more around Atmosphir specifically. I generally support what you guys want to do, but I don't have the time/energy to do it myself, and I'm a bit worried about setting this stuff up on a technical level. If you screw up Xenforo, undoing it can be a nightmare, and since our license technically expired I'm not sure if we even COULD fix any screwups. I'm sure I wouldn't be able to reinstall the software. There are Xenforo plugins that let you add pages easily, but again, since our license expired, I don't think it's possible to install new plugins.

I am, however, completely in favor of re-arranging forum sections. If you use stickies and stuff effectively, you may not need a single page. Also, I'd be happy to give an additional person admin access, although I'd rather only give it to one more person. From a security perspective, it's just generally good practice to restrict privileges to the lowest number of people possible.

Setting up a private section for ES is super easy, Phantomboy should know how to set it up. You have my permission to do so, Phantom, although fwiw you don't really need it. Also, just a note, there are NOT enough levels to do a LotD. LotW I can kind of see; Level's of the Month might make the most sense, even though that is kind of far apart.

So, in summery: I like what you guys want to do, just please don't screw up Xenforo. I really don't want to end up in a position where I'm forced to buy a new $100-something license :P
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Wowfunhappy wrote:I'm perfectly in favor of setting up the site to be more around Atmosphir specifically. I generally support what you guys want to do, but I don't have the time/energy to do it myself, and I'm a bit worried about setting this stuff up on a technical level. If you screw up Xenforo, undoing it can be a nightmare, and since our license technically expired I'm not sure if we even COULD fix any screwups. I'm sure I wouldn't be able to reinstall the software. There are Xenforo plugins that let you add pages easily, but again, since our license expired, I don't think it's possible to install new plugins.
You have mentioned that, that will definitely need to be a concern on whoever is implementing things. I think a strong emphasis on caution will be a major priority of working.
Setting up a private section for ES is super easy, Phantomboy should know how to set it up. You have my permission to do so, Phantom, although fwiw you don't really need it. Also, just a note, there are NOT enough levels to do a LotD. LotW I can kind of see; Level's of the Month might make the most sense, even though that is kind of far apart.
Yup, I can do that! Yeah, like I was saying was that I don't think a specific forum section is exactly necessary, as a vast majority of the time it is easier to post things in a conversation and such. However, if there is enough demand for it, I could see putting it in.. especially if it ends up being more active than the moderators section :P

But yeah, thank you for getting back to this so quickly! That was lovely of you :D
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

Wait what licenses expire?? That's kinda sad...

As far as level review, we've been doing a Level Spotlight every other week, we just refer to it as LOTD because... well idk why :P
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Entity wrote:Wait what licenses expire?? That's kinda sad...

As far as level review, we've been doing a Level Spotlight every other week, we just refer to it as LOTD because... well idk why :P

Well, there was never a LOTW tag on Atmosphir, so it's not like there's really a choice. :P
Wazi

Post by Wazi »

as both have experience with the atmosphir community before.
*COUGH*
*COUGH*
*COUGH*

Unless you meant that they were some sort of staff.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Sorry to double post, I just wanted this to be a little more public.

I'm toying with the idea of churning out a provisional Atmosphir-based blog under my Weebly account when I get home from school this afternoon. Thoughts?