The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Talk ≠ Action

A place to talk about our community
ElectroYoshi
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ElectroYoshi »

I hate to say it, but I honestly think it may be for the best to just straight-up replace Wowfun as admin. Not that I have anything against him as an admin or even a person, because I don't (He's a great guy), but whether he's any good as admin or not doesn't really matter if he can never find time to do his job. So if he can't implement the ideas, someone else is gonna have to.

Also, yeah, I agree Kroltan would make a good choice.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

ElectroYoshi wrote:I hate to say it, but I honestly think it may be for the best to just straight-up replace Wowfun as admin. Not that I have anything against him as an admin or even a person, because I don't (He's a great guy), but whether he's any good as admin or not doesn't really matter if he can never find time to do his job. So if he can't implement the ideas, someone else is gonna have to.

I agree that having someone else to implement the pages, designs and alter the site would be very useful as Wowfun is far too busy. However, I don't think replacing him is really necessary since he has said that alterations are fine by him. As he has given us, or rather whoever takes over, clearance to make changes as they see fit - why lot leave the person paying for the site as admin? simply appointing someone to make chances and alterations to the site.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Phantomboy wrote:I agree that having someone else to implement the pages, designs and alter the site would be very useful as Wowfun is far too busy. However, I don't think replacing him is really necessary since he has said that alterations are fine by him. As he has given us, or rather whoever takes over, clearance to make changes as they see fit - why lot leave the person paying for the site as admin? simply appointing someone to make chances and alterations to the site.
True, maybe "replace" was taking it a bit too far. I mostly said that because if it weren't for his admin tag, I wouldn't know Wowfun was an admin to begin with. In most other respects, he's more like a regular user whose activity is kind of on-and-off. A "semi-active" user if you will.

In hindsight, I wasn't clear enough about my point in my previous post, so I'll make it clearer: Someone needs to get in contact with him so we can actually get these changes implemented. These are ideas people have been working hard on, and it would really, really, REALLY suck to have to throw it all away just because of his inactivity, especially given that said inactivity seems to be the only hurdle left to jump.
kroltan
Developer

Post by kroltan »

ElectroYoshi wrote:I hate to say it, but I honestly think it may be for the best to just straight-up replace Wowfun as admin. Not that I have anything against him as an admin or even a person, because I don't (He's a great guy), but whether he's any good as admin or not doesn't really matter if he can never find time to do his job. So if he can't implement the ideas, someone else is gonna have to.

Woah, woah, let's not be revolutionary over here. I don't think it's needed for such major changes, the new admin might as well only have access to the technical part of the website, not even requiring actual community moderation. OMB has plenty of those already.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

Everyone keeps saying "well someone needs to talk to wowfun" and nobody is doing it so I did :P He replied within minutes, and agreed to give Nin full FTP access, so he'll be able to upload any sort of blog or new home page we need.

I'm happy with that.

As far as the new admin I don't really see any pressing need for one, honestly. But I guess my vote would be kroltan as well.
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Entity wrote:Everyone keeps saying "well someone needs to talk to wowfun" and nobody is doing it so I did :P He replied within minutes, and agreed to give Nin full FTP access, so he'll be able to upload any sort of blog or new home page we need.
I was actually about to send him a contact request on Skype so I could discuss it with him, but it looks like you beat me to it. :P

On a more on-topic note, this is terrific news!! Hopefully this means this'll lead to everything actually being implemented soon... Knock on wood!
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

I know I haven't been around a ton, but that's also why I've tried to give more-active community members the privileges they need to mostly run the site in my absence.

Currently, Nin has ftp access to the /Atmosphir directory on the server, and Phantomboy has access to the admin control panel on the Xenforo forums. If you guys need more privileges, I'm happy to do that, although I want to know what they will be using it for and why it's necessary.

For example, yesterday, Entity contacted me on Skype and asked if I could give Nin ftp access to the root server directory so they could integrate Atmosphir stuff with the site. I said this was fine, but when I talked to Nin about it later, he said he wasn't sure he needed it and that he would talk to Entity and get back to me. And this was great: rather than just accepting the privileges, Nin wanted to make sure he needs them first.

Similarly, I could make Krolton an "admin", but I'd like to have some idea of what that's going to be used for. Also, what do you mean by "admin"? If you mean on Xenforo, that just means he has access to the Xenforo's user control panel, and Phantomboy can do that already.

Do you mean "admin" as in, access to the server control panel? I'd be open to that as well, although I'm ever-so-slightly uneasy about it. Someone with server panel access can see OMB password hashes and all private messages (since they're stored in a mySQL table). To be clear, I fully trust Nin, Entity, Krolten, and all of the others who have been working on maintaining the website and building the Atmosphir server, but I don't want to just give powers out.

Lastly, if you need to contact me: if you have me on Skype (and a lot of people don't because I try to keep my contact list small) I'll answer messages there pretty quickly. Otherwise, I'm @Wowfunhappy on Twitter, and I check that all the time.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Thank you for the quick reply, Wowfun! I really appreciate Nin's thorough honesty, a lot of people would jump on the opportunity to have extra privileges. On that note, if Krolton knows more about the admin control panel than me, or if you both feel it would be better to have someone who is currently trying to test/design additions to the site or changes, have the abilities. I am more than happen to give up my privileges in place of keeping access to the panel on a minimum basis. Especially as you mentioned, you wanted to keep as little of an amount of people with access to major editable areas to a minimum for security.

Just tossing that out there :)
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Wowfunhappy wrote:Do you mean "admin" as in, access to the server control panel? I'd be open to that as well, although I'm ever-so-slightly uneasy about it. Someone with server panel access can see OMB password hashes and all private messages (since they're stored in a mySQL table). To be clear, I fully trust Nin, Entity, Krolten, and all of the others who have been working on maintaining the website and building the Atmosphir server, but I don't want to just give powers out.

Yes, exactly. This is why Nin, Entity, and Kroltan are the top picks for the new admin. They're the ones doing all the work on the server, and because of that they're probably the most reliable and trustworthy picks as far as someone to add stuff is concerned.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

Wowfunhappy wrote:Currently, Nin has ftp access to the /Atmosphir directory on the server, and Phantomboy has access to the admin control panel on the Xenforo forums. If you guys need more privileges, I'm happy to do that, although I want to know what they will be using it for and why it's necessary.

For example, yesterday, Entity contacted me on Skype and asked if I could give Nin ftp access to the root server directory so they could integrate Atmosphir stuff with the site. I said this was fine, but when I talked to Nin about it later, he said he wasn't sure he needed it and that he would talk to Entity and get back to me. And this was great: rather than just accepting the privileges, Nin wanted to make sure he needs them first.
Like wowfun said, Nin only has access to /Atmosphir, which would mean the level browser would be at http://onemoreblock.com/Atmosphir. I only asked that because I was under the impression that everyone was excited about having the level browser as the new homepage for OMB, e.g. http://onemoreblock.com/. That's what the new permissions would allow him to do.
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

I've been talking with Entity, Phantomboy, and Kroltan over Skype. They should have everything they need.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

I think I like where this is going. :P
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Couple issues. Onemoreblock.com currently redirects to the forum, not the homepage.
Also the URL for the home page is longer than the one for the forum.

http://onemoreblock.com/forum/index.php?pages/home/
http://onemoreblock.com/forum/index.php

If you want the homepage to get visited at all, the URL will need to redirect to it, and also clicking the logo should.

C'mon onemoreblock step it up!
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

What's so bad about the URL being longer?

But yeah, having it redirect to the forum doesn't make any sense anymore.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

StreetLights wrote:Couple issues. Onemoreblock.com currently redirects to the forum, not the homepage.
Also the URL for the home page is longer than the one for the forum.

http://onemoreblock.com/forum/index.php?pages/home/
http://onemoreblock.com/forum/index.php

If you want the homepage to get visited at all, the URL will need to redirect to it, and also clicking the logo should.

C'mon onemoreblock step it up!
You're of course correct and we'll do that when it's ready, but we're still working on it. As you can see, it doesn't have any content yet :P We still have a few details to work out. Patience!
LoneRanger
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Post by LoneRanger »

Bumpity bump! What's up? Doesn't appear any new developments have been made.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

I know a lot of people are currently in exams, I think we will get the quickest returns and thus most progress if we sort of hang tight until people have more free time.

With that said, I think the changes to the home page look quite nice and I think it would be quite neat to see a download button for the working client there at some-point. Also, perhaps a trailer, or cycling screen shots - just little things to establish that a working build of the game is available.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

In the near future, we really should re-add the blog and finally implement that level browser into the site.
tta

Post by tta »

yup yup yup
LoneRanger
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Post by LoneRanger »

Phantomboy wrote:...With that said, I think the changes to the home page look quite nice...

Is there an actual hosted home page? If so, I can't seem to find it...