The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Talk ≠ Action

A place to talk about our community
ThatOneFox
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Talk ≠ Action

Post by ThatOneFox »

Okay, we've all been discussing re-working onemoreblock for Atmosphir purposes, and have been for a while now, but the only thing that's really changed is there are a few new forum sections. See, we actually need some action. There's so much talk going on about things that these things don't actually get done. It's been near a month since Miniike left for the same reasons I am actually considering leaving for.

What needs to be done:
-A home page is needed that has regular updates on server development and also has posts relating to LOTWs and design contests.
-A levels page that has a link to the server and displays information on each level.
-ANOTHER ADMIN WHO IS ACTIVE. This cannot be stressed enough! I have some suggestions on this topic, and personally I think Entity or Sebastian should gain this position, as both have experience with the atmosphir community before.

I know that this thread will spark some discussion, but will it spark any action? Probably not. To be honest guys, I've lost motivation to be here. Nothing happens here any more and nothing probably will. But hey if you can prove me wrong, I'll stick around. People over at voxelus said that no-one of influence is actually doing anything to get the development of OneMoreBlock moving, and I kinda agree, so this is why I've made this thread. Now please, can we get something done.
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

I was considering making a thread about this myself in the next few days, but looks like you beat me to it :P

1) How about just a blog? I would suggest moving to a different forum software, but with no way to transfer posts (right?) maybe that isn't such a good idea. So yeah, we could just have a blog (and have a page similar to the stats, but it dislpays the blog on the homepage?)

2) That's a great idea. Let me talk to Nin and Kroltan.

3) I agree. No offense to Wowfun (I love you!) but if we're serious about this community, its leaders need to be too. How should we go about choosing a new admin?
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Entity wrote:I was considering making a thread about this myself in the next few days, but looks like you beat me to it :P

1) How about just a blog? I would suggest moving to a different forum software, but with no way to transfer posts (right?) maybe that isn't such a good idea. So yeah, we could just have a blog (and have a page similar to the stats, but it dislpays the blog on the homepage?)
I doubt it would be too hard to instead having onemoreblock.com redirect to the forum, have it redirect to the homepage.
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

StreetLights wrote:I doubt it would be too hard to instead having onemoreblock.com redirect to the forum, have it redirect to the homepage.
Yeah, the forum was put on the /forum directory for this purpose, since at the begging having a homepage was planned (or so I've read). A blog could easily be added on there, but I don't really have the power to set it up (nor does any other moderator). This leads me to your third point and I do agree that while WowFunHappy is great, he's not really being an admin because of his inactivity. His help, though, has been of great use in some moderation decisions around the forum. Regardless, I think it'd be good to have another admin put in place alongside wowfunhappy that has access to the site files so that any necessary things can be done if he's away.

Since the forum/website's purpose is changing, I do think it'd be great to have the level page as well. I'm sure, though, since most of us agree, that WowFunHappy could set these things up if we bug him enough about it :P
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

You are right, I think an activity slump making a transition to a more 'Atmosphir' supportive site is certainly an issue worth discussing. I want to apologies for my lack of activity as of late, a combination of both school and a convention I have been preparing for means that literally from when I get up at around fife am to when I go to bed around eleven pm I am working. My sincerest apologies for that, guys. I should be a lot more free by the twentith-ish!

As for making the transition, I think compiling a clear list of what we (the community) would like to see and what it takes to implement. I have certain Admin privileges enabled for me, but I am no expert in Xenforo. I think holding a discussion here is WONDERFUL idea. If anyone has links to resources, add-ons, ideas or examples they should feel free to post them here and we can start designing what we would like to see, and then start figuring out what it would take. We should talk to Nin and the development group about what exactly it would take to get the information from the hosting server to the site in some sort of way that Xenforo could display as profile info (even if it is just level names).

Street, you're my great pal - sorry for not getting to talk to as much recently! Hopefully my schedule will be clearer soon and we can chat more :)
Wazi

Post by Wazi »

can I be admen?
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

To be honest, I kind of saw this issue coming, since we were all under the impression that Atmosphir was gone for good once the site finally went down last year and nobody was expecting a revival project to take place, ESPECIALLY not one with this much effort.

The specific Atmosphir-oriented sections are a great start, but they're not enough. I would say it'd be good to have both a homepage AND a blog like Entity suggested. You can always ingrain that sort of thing right into the site, but even if you can't for some reason, you can still create something along those lines using website creation software such as Weebly or Wordpress. A levels page would be terrific to have. Level Spotlight is good for displaying cool levels, but without any way to directly link to them, actually checking them out can be a hassle. It's gonna take more than that to fully adapt this forum to host the game, but it'd be one heck of a start.

To close, I'm just gonna be somewhat blunt: Guys, bouncing ideas off of each other like this is always a good idea, but it's pointless if you don't actually put those ideas into motion. We can talk about this all we want, but it's not gonna mean anything if it begins and ends with discussion. Stop talking and start acting. Sorry to be blunt, but there's no better way to put it.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

ElectroYoshi wrote:To close, I'm just gonna be somewhat blunt: Guys, bouncing ideas off of each other like this is always a good idea, but it's pointless if you don't actually put those ideas into motion. We can talk about this all we want, but it's not gonna mean anything if it begins and ends with discussion. Stop talking and start acting. Sorry to be blunt, but there's no better way to put it.
That is very true.. I wouldn't want to do anything unless the community agrees but, doing things is a good idea. I don't think that I have the knowledge to start hacking away at a homepage, perhaps after this next weekend, when I actually have free time again, I can start researching what I need to learn :)
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Phantomboy wrote:That is very true.. I wouldn't want to do anything unless the community agrees but, doing things is a good idea. I don't think that I have the knowledge to start hacking away at a homepage, perhaps after this next weekend, when I actually have free time again, I can start researching what I need to learn :)
I wasn't really trying to push anything, I was just saying it's kind of annoying when all these great ideas are coming into play and nobody's actually implementing them.

Unfortunately, my coding knowledge is less than impressive, so I won't be of a ton of use where implementing ideas into the site is concerned. But if for some reason we couldn't host a blog here, I would be happy to create one under my Weebly account. :P
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

You're right Yoshi. Let's do this.

1) Who has permissions to make the home page? As in set it up. I think we have plenty of people who could make it, but who can put it in place? Phantom?

2) Kroltan and I are working on an online level browser :) Really this is a pretty simple thing to make actually (at least just a basic level browser), so it should be done relatively soon.

3) Everyone seems to be in agreement that we need an active admin. How should we choose one? Let the mod team pick? Community nominations/vote? Maybe both?

EDIT: I personally think we should have a community vote. It's us who will be affected by this new admin, so I think we deserve to pick them ourselves. What does everyone else think?
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Entity wrote:EDIT: I personally think we should have a community vote. It's us who will be affected by this new admin, so I think we deserve to pick them ourselves. What does everyone else think?
Yeah, I think putting with the community would be best :) How exactly should we count the votes?
Baufritz
Location: Trapped on a huge round rock hurtling with immense speeds around a fiery star.
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Post by Baufritz »

Phantomboy wrote:Yeah, I think putting with the community would be best :) How exactly should we count the votes?

Do a poll.
If it's broken, fix it.
If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

How about a google form? Or even just PMing a mod? There are less than 40 active members so it wouldn't be that hard to tally.
freekboy31

Post by freekboy31 »

I agree 100% with all the points here in this thread. This being a community for Atmosphir's revival.. maybe we could do something like this yet its forum software has a cost.

Also, for blog, we should use this add-on. for blog we guys want to have for a long time~
:crate: :atmobot: coming soon..... :sentrybot:
:brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :monkeyblock: :brickblock: :brickblock:
:brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock:

kroltan
Developer

Post by kroltan »

New homepage underway!
Wazi

Post by Wazi »

Ha, it only got one star.
kroltan
Developer

Post by kroltan »

By the way, this page is going to have a level browser, level details page and a blog. the "community" link redirects to the forum.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Well, so much for my inactivity. xD

I must say, I'm impressed with your work Kroltan!
Rabbidfan236

Post by Rabbidfan236 »

I can't see the image. :/
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

Alright, nobody seems to be taking initiative or have a strong opinion so first, do we want to move forward with picking a new admin? If we are (unless anyone has objections) here's what I think we should do:

The mods put together a google docs survey and the only field is just your vote for who should be the admin:

Then after a certain period (say a month?) the mods count up the votes (and I think google docs can do that for you) and announce the new admin.

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to mini mod or take on any sort of position of authority here. Just, people are complaining that nobody is doing anything, so unless someone takes the first step, nothing is going to happen.