The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

(update: Resolved) What Is This About A New Site?

A place to talk about our community
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

(update: Resolved) What Is This About A New Site?

Post by Wowfunhappy »

Electro posted in the announcement of no swearing thread just now about a new site.

I didn't know about this until just now. If anyone had concerns about OMB, I wish they had informed me and the other mods of the issues.

That said, I also have no desire to continue to pay for hosting if the community doesn't want me to. I thought I was helping. If everyone wants to go to a new forum I don't necessarily have an issue with that, but I'm VERY worried about splitting the community, which would be the absolute death of it at this point.

My goal is the same as it's always been: keep the community together. So, how do you guys want to move forward?
ThatOneFox
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ThatOneFox »

I'd much rather discuss this over pm/skype than on here.
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

...Did I just trigger the beginning of the end of this forum? ._.

With respect to splitting the community, most of our active users (and even a couple of inactive ones) here are over there already, so I think that issue has more or less solved itself.

Also, I've heard that people HAVE PM'd you about problems they had with OMB and that nothing was done. I can't say that with certainty, since I wasn't one of those people, but I've heard it from a couple of different sources now. Even if it changed now, a lot of us feel that the damage is done.

Edit: Sorry, just caught this:
Wowfunhappy wrote: That said, I also have no desire to continue to pay for hosting if the community doesn't want me to. I thought I was helping.
Hey, you were helping. You weren't the greatest admin, but your heart was definitely in the right place in taking up the position. To wrap up here Wowfun, I'd like to give you kudos for taking the initiaitve and caring that much about the community.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

I feel like there's an incredible amount of bias here. The simple fact is that any advantage Exosphir has can be implemented into OneMoreBlock.

What is it you really want? Rearranging the boards? A new forum software? New management? We'll be losing some things by switching domains, and if there's a vast majority opinion I'm sure we can convince WFH to write it into law.

EDIT: I'd just like to clarify, I know I'm the "leader" of the Exosphir movement, but it wasn't my intention to have a full scale revolution or whatever. I just created the forum as a proof of concept. The idea was a lot of people seem to want changes done to OneMoreBlock, and if those changes weren't possible, then we could move to a new site with a valid reason.

But Wowfunhappy is more than happy to make changes. We just need to articulate what we want.
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

I think the best thing we can do right now is improve moderation. Have moderators edit posts instead of just deleting them, and having them be less overprotective (With the no swearing rule lifted today, that's already taking shape).

My opinion is that we should stick with OMB for now, and try to reform moderation, and then perhaps activity will pack up from the slump its been in lately. If that's not the case, Exos it is.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

Literally these are the only differences between OMB and Exosphir right now:

1) Forum software
2) Admins
3) The existence of a "OneMoreBlock General" board
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

And 4) Better moderation. Like I said, deleting posts is not necessary if there's only one expletive or something, but the mods operate as though it is. Basically what I'm saying is that the moderators we have are impulsive. They're not "dictatorish" about it really, but the impulsive nature of some of the decisions they make sometimes come off that way.

One idea I tossed out on Skype earlier was to have a "feedback form" for the moderators. Basically this would be used to tell the moderators what they are doing right and should continue doing, and what they are doing wrong and should cease to do. Virtually everyone on here agrees that the moderation needs some improvement, and that'd be a great approach.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

ElectroYoshi wrote:And 4) Better moderation. Like I said, deleting posts is not necessary if there's only one expletive or something, but the mods operate as though it is. Basically what I'm saying is that the moderators we have are impulsive. They're not "dictatorish" about it really, but the impulsive nature of some of the decisions they make sometimes come off that way.
I am actually really happy to hear that you are open an upfront with us. I was recently informed by Wowfunhappy that I have clearance to make changes to the moderators if need be. I think procedures will be a focus of anything I brainstorm, as well as prior notice to the community what changes are being suggested and what the general consensus is.
ElectroYoshi wrote: One idea I tossed out on Skype earlier was to have a "feedback form" for the moderators. Basically this would be used to tell the moderators what they are doing right and should continue doing, and what they are doing wrong and should cease to do. Virtually everyone on here agrees that the moderation needs some improvement, and that'd be a great approach.
This! Oh my gosh, a while back I suggested this and bionicnacho and I actually spent a little bit setting up both an ask.fm account for short comment type things and a long google documents report for large formal issues and suggestions. So, I am right behind you on this, Electro! If there is interest, I can dig that back up and post that here soon. Yeah, I entirely agree with you!
Wazi

Post by Wazi »

What in the fuck is happening.
Rabbidfan236

Post by Rabbidfan236 »

Wazi wrote:What in the **** is happening.
The apocaloops.
Flameforlife

Post by Flameforlife »

I like it, no matter whatever stupid things I've said lately. If what I've been saying was interpreted as a brand new site, I apologize. I was just talking about a new look for the current site, not a new one at all. You've helped a lot, dude. Sorry if this is any fault of mine.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Flameforlife wrote:I like it, no matter whatever stupid things I've said lately. If what I've been saying was interpreted as a brand new site, I apologize. I was just talking about a new look for the current site, not a new one at all. You've helped a lot, dude. Sorry if this is any fault of mine.
No worries, flame :) I think we've straightened things out for the most part!
Htenneb

Post by Htenneb »

Sad music was playing when I read this...
Well at least things are straight now...
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

Just to make it clear, pretty much everyone involved has come to an agreement at this point, so there shouldn't be any issues going forward. OMB isn't going anywhere!
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Good to know! Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned Exosphir in that rant, as it really wasn't my main point...
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

ElectroYoshi wrote:Good to know! Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned Exosphir in that rant, as it really wasn't my main point...
Actually Electro, I think OMB is a lot better of because you mentioned it. It sparked a lot of change, so I thank you :)
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Phantomboy wrote:It sparked a lot of change, so I thank you :)

Well, yeah, I guess that's true. You're welcome. :P