The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Papaya Has Common Sense

A place to talk about our community
Miniike

Papaya Has Common Sense

Post by Miniike »

Here you go.

This isn't even trolling. It's some honest-to-god suggestions. And he knows what he's talking about.

DO SOME CRAP.
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Oh, Papaya - always managing to work some level of attitude into his posts. I suppose that is why we love him.

I am always interested in hearing suggestions and I think Papaya makes some strong points. I won't make excuses, but yes I think we should do something to get everyone into making more levels. I am finally at a point where I will have some more time at home again, so I will dedicate some time towards making something. Yeah, let's think about doing something to get people creating more levels.
This kinda segues into my next point. The current mods on OMB, all 15 or however many, are doing nothing. Phantomboy pops up every so often to say 'hey now Image dont say those bad things Image don't do that Image btw locked Image lets keep it nice people Image'.
I have heard that my "sunny disposition" is fairly annoying and I will honestly agree that I am probably too passive and, maybe fake. So, I am going to be thinking about that - I may actually be looking to talk with Papaya more often. So, thank you for brining that up, sir. I appreciate it!
a friendly community manager who exists only to tidy up the mess that the users make. The forum is simply not active enough to warrant more people with moderator power than WFH and Phantom. I pick phantom because, though I loathe how he does it, he does actually moderate and seems to take some pride in it. Of course, wowfun is free to pick anyone else as his janitors - uh, moderators.
I really like the idea of existing to tidy things up! I will be honest in saying, I am not really overly thrilled with changing rule of swearing. I mentioned when I changed the rule, that I wanted to keep an open mind to what the community wants, even if I had apprehension. To me at least, it hasn't really added a whole lot and just sort of, looks strange in an Atmosphir community. So, I don't know. I don't have any immediate plans to change it back, but that is my own personal feelings.

Also, while I appreciate earning you pick - I don't think I have been the best at tidying up the mess the community makes. So, I think I will be talking to Adz as the sort of impression he gave you is definitely something I want to learn from.

And.. that last comment is just sort of rude and unnecessary, haha - Oh you. Anyways, over all, you made really good points and I will likely be posting more about improving things here soon. So, look out for that I guess :)
TheLastLink
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Post by TheLastLink »

To be fair, we've all been posting serious threads for OMB on Voxelus for months now.

It's just that they were drowned by all the non-serious spam.
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

I'm not quite sure I follow his argument. How exactly are the moderators holding the community back?

For what it's worth, we essentially have four mods: Phantomboy, Sebastian Lawe, Bionicnacho, and Streetlights. I agree that's a bit many: we added Streetlights recently, and that was less because we needed another mod and more because we wanted to get a different type of opinion how mod activities were handled.

I'm not a mod. I've used my mod powers like twice in the past six months. I essentially just fund the website and coordinate between different people as need be.

Phantomboy, Krolton, and Nin are not mods by any stretch. They are developers, and they have access to the admin control panel as well as ftp access to the server so they can make changes to the website as necessary to (in the near future!) better integrate it with Atmosphir the game.

Hollabit, Adz, Reap, and Terranax technically have mod powers but are really just website co-founders. I have personally worked with them for many years and they pop in from time to time and help out when we really need it. I could theoretically remove their mod powers, but it wouldn't really change anything one way or another.

I can't make people care about Atmosphir, although I think the fact that we're all here indicates we do care a great deal. Many other Atmosphir-esque games have come and gone, from Jumala to Gamesglobe, and we're the only one that has a working server. That's huge! I think that as our server becomes more mature and is better integrated into the website, we'll attract more people. However, I'm really not interested in trying to make anyone play the game if they don't want to already. We can build it, they may come, but we can't force anyone to do so.
TheLastLink

Post by TheLastLink »

He posted again, here
Swords761

Post by Swords761 »

I really wish we could stop talking about the changes that need to be made every day and just DO the changes that need to be made.

The logo topic is a serious and important one, since it does symbolize the direction of the forum/website. Even though it's functionally insignificant, the symbolicness is a very important first step to getting back on track.

I believe in gradual and slow change, and while things could definitely be better, I don't think any of you guys complaining have patience; you're all bored out of your minds. Sure, it has been years since this problem started, but so much has happened in the last 1-2 months that I consider that to be the real starting point for a new beginning.

It was only within these last couple of months that we got the functionality of the game working again, so just be patient as the pieces are slowly being put back together. I guess I agree we have enough to advertise, but we only recently got to that point, so hang in there a bit longer.

Also, WFH, I agree that it really makes no difference removing their tags, but you'd be making a ton of people feel better if you removed the mod status from those inactive/founders. I think they're just upset by the fact that they could be doing moddy things if they ever wanted to, and it also adds unnecessary numbers from a statistical point of view.
Baufritz
Location: Trapped on a huge round rock hurtling with immense speeds around a fiery star.

Post by Baufritz »

Phantomboy wrote:I think we should do something to get everyone into making more levels.

The thing is though, you can't just pump out level after level until your hard drive is full of drafts.

You have to really think about each part of the level for it to turn out halfway decent. Also, having some imagination and creativity is absolutely necessary. I've noticed this myself, as I grew older, that I lost that imagination and creativity that I had when I was younger, and now it's really hard for me to design a level that I am satisfied with. When I designed Xyhargka or Voipqo Draqo, for instance, it was really hard to come up with all the ideas. I spent about a week of working hours on that level for it to turn out the way it did.

If you only spend about an hour on each level, it's either just a mess of floating blocks in the sky, or so short that you think it's just a proof of concept. You have to get a feel for what makes your level unique and stand out from the rest, and that just takes time.

And for those who claim I don't design anything anymore, I am working on something, I just don't know if it turns into a level or is just some crap that I'll end up saving to my hard drive to sit there and collect digital dust. I suppose not many of my drafts make it out to the play browser.
If it's broken, fix it.
If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

Swords761 wrote:Also, WFH, I agree that it really makes no difference removing their tags, but you'd be making a ton of people feel better if you removed the mod status from those inactive/founders. I think they're just upset by the fact that they could be doing moddy things if they ever wanted to, and it also adds unnecessary numbers from a statistical point of view.

Well, if it makes any difference, I've changed their custom titles to "Website Co-Founder", although I haven't removed their abilities.
Baufritz wrote: If you only spend about an hour on each level, it's either just a mess of floating blocks in the sky, or so short that you think it's just a proof of concept. You have to get a feel for what makes your level unique and stand out from the rest, and that just takes time.

And in addition—regarding all the talk of new people—a play browser filled with a small amount high-quality levels will be much better for any newcomers than a play browser with a large amount of mediocre content.

(don't expect me to reply to this thread with any regularity today. I'm working on a paper due tomorrow and I'm trying to spend as little time as possible on other things)
ElectroYoshi
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ElectroYoshi »

We've been at this for a month or two now, and while I do think things could be better, I also think people need to be more patient about this whole thing.

Adding one or two features to a site is quick enough. Wanna add a blog or new boards? That sort of thing doesn't take long to implement into a site. It takes day or two, tops. But we're not thinking about that alone. We're talking about completely revamping OMB to accommodate its new purpose, and that's not gonna happen overnight.

For example, getting new content on the play browser is not as simple as "get more people designing". Designing levels in Atmosphir takes time and effort. Not everybody here has time to design, and when that's the case, whether they're willing to put forth effort or not is irrelevant. I myself have a level in the works right now, but its progress has been kind of slow lately because of the other stuff I've had on my plate (I have finals coming up, so school has been really hectic for me lately).

I think right now the best thing we can do is be patient. It's not a fast process to revamp a site to accommodate a whole new purpose. That's not to say we shouldn't keep making suggestions, because we should, but I think we need to be more open-minded with respect to how fast things get done.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
tta

Post by tta »

Baufritz wrote:And for those who claim I don't design anything anymore, I am working on something, I just don't know if it turns into a level or is just some crap that I'll end up saving to my hard drive to sit there and collect digital dust. I suppose not many of my drafts make it out to the play browser.
You know, back when atmo was alive, people made draft compilations. A level with teleporters to the unfinished level segments.
totaldile

Post by totaldile »

I'm very confused - we seem to be dedicating all of our efforts towards every problem at once.
Maybe if we just agreed on a single thing to work on, we might perhaps see a little progress?

/hides
I haven't been very vocal in these matters, so I apologiz if I'm out of place.
tta

Post by tta »

totaldile wrote:/hides
I haven't been very vocal in these matters, so I apologiz if I'm out of place.
uhh, you're out of place because you're a gurl on a gaming forum

we do not take in your kind
ElectroYoshi
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ElectroYoshi »

totaldile wrote:I'm very confused - we seem to be dedicating all of our efforts towards every problem at once.
Maybe if we just agreed on a single thing to work on, we might perhaps see a little progress?

What seems to be happening is that we're putting forth effort to a few individual matters, before moving on to a new group of matters. At least that's how I perceive it.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
totaldile

Post by totaldile »

tta wrote:uhh, you're out of place because you're a gurl on a gaming forum

Tyvm
tta

Post by tta »

totaldile wrote:Tyvm

to be accepted into this community you have to be as pizza-faced, chubby, autistic, and virgin male as possible. thank you.
DvChayz

Post by DvChayz »

here everyone, ill make the problems simple and break down the order for you!
1. make omb look like a atmosphir revival form
2. advertise and get new members
3. larger community = more levels = more participation and active forum
4. continue working on atmosphir

its literally ez
totaldile

Post by totaldile »

tta wrote:to be accepted into this community you have to be as pizza-faced, chubby, autistic, and virgin male as possible. thank you.
Dangggg I only tick half of one of those boxes.

On topic, electroyoshi that's a good point. I'm not sure personally how to help out, however, as I was never the greatest level designer, and I don't think my programming/coding skills quite match up to everyone else's here...
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

tta wrote:uhh, you're out of place because you're a gurl on a gaming forum

Tta, rather you were joking or not, please keep in mind that insensitively insulting others is not allowed. Plus that, going on to insult the community is not appreciated. I don't want to turn this thread into simply targeting or talking to you, but please be mindful of this in the future.

Let's stay on topic and not take to insulting any direct members. Alright?
Swords761

Post by Swords761 »

Phantomboy wrote:Tta, rather you were joking or not, please keep in mind that insensitively insulting others is not allowed. Plus that, going on to insult the community is not appreciated. I don't want to turn this thread into simply targeting or talking to you, but please be mindful of this in the future.

Let's stay on topic and not take to insulting any direct members. Alright?
I think it should be clear though that totodile was not offended by the joke (and yes, it was a joke).
We know totodile is male, and we know none of what tta said is how he genuinely feels. It's common sense that it's a joke. The community part was also a joke; saying the opposite sarcastically, to be specific.
Learn to take a joke bro.
totaldile

Post by totaldile »

Swords761 wrote:I think it should be clear though that totodile was not offended by the joke (and yes, it was a joke).
We know totodile is male, and we know none of what tta said is how he genuinely feels. It's common sense that it's a joke. The community part was also a joke; sarcasm, to be specific.
Learn to take a joke bro.
Uh, I am /actually/ a girl.

The part about me understanding that tta's comment was a joke and that I didn't take offense at all was true.

Tta is just Tta :) .