The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Advertising

A place to talk about our community
tta

Advertising

Post by tta »

As papaya said in his thread on vox, little is being done about advertising here. I understand that we're more worried about bringing in old members, but has it occurred to anybody that we can accomplish BOTH by advertising OMB on websites where past atmosphir users are likely to be lurking? I mean, Atmo did have around 100,000+ members, more than 4/5 of which have never even heard of OMB, so I think our chances are better than we think.
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

I wish I had some suggestions on this considering how much I've been pushing it, but as far as specifics go, I'm dry. Let's hope wowfun can think of something.

And if we are actually able to alter the game eventually and start new development, an indie studio could be organized. Maybe we could go to cons and stuff then?

But that's obviously only if editing the game will ever be made possible.
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
ElectroYoshi
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ElectroYoshi »

At the moment, I don't think we can really do much BESIDES talk about it on other forums. Of course, I guess we could try and get Chris Pirillo to talk about it again.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

Miniike wrote:I wish I had some suggestions on this considering how much I've been pushing it, but as far as specifics go, I'm dry. Let's hope wowfun can think of something.
Well that's the issue, I really don't. I mean, aside from spamming other forums about it, which just annoys people and doesn't accomplish anything, what could we really do?

Generally speaking, it's not that I don't want to attract new people, it's that I don't realistically see how. Atmosphir had well over 20 million registered users at one point; it stands to reason that a great deal of them will find their way back here at some point, provided that we make ourselves easy to find and appealing enough for them to stay. But new people? That's much harder.

The one thing I could see happening at some point is, it would be really awesome is if a website like Polygon did a story on us. I mention Polygon because I remember they did a somewhat similar story a few years back, on a group of people trying to recreate a beloved. niche MMO which had been shut down. If we reached out to a gaming website… it's a bit of a long shot, but it could work.

BUT, the more we're able to do with the game, the more impressive our story will be, and the more likely a website is to pick it up. So as much as I know people don't want to hear this, I think we should hold off on that possibility for quite a while still. The longer we wait, the more likely it is to work.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

I agree that often times quality is better over punctuality. With that said, I don't think there is anything wrong with casually spreading the were when appropriate. You never know :D

Also, I heard this mentioned and definitely, agree I think it would be kind of nice to put a "Download Atmosphir" button on the main page of the forum.
Swords761

Post by Swords761 »

The best way to increase a population is to reach out to those close to you- so if you belong to other forums, game servers, or have siblings/relatives interested in the same stuff, then just tell them about it. Word of mouth is a great starting point. I'll make a topic on my own minecraft server website if it helps, but in a little while when I have more free time.

Also, properly configuring metatags and keywords for web crawlers is crucial so that the website comes up higher in web searches. Hooking into Google Analytics and Google Webmaster tools and properly using the data they generate is helpful. The only thing with this is it's time consuming, but you all seem to have plenty of time on your hands, so if WFH set up the link and then delegated access to Google accounts of those willing to help advertise, that could work.

Lastly- don't contact official publications like Polygon, as the work being done on Atmosphir borderlines legality.
ElectroYoshi
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Swords761 wrote: Lastly- don't contact official publications like Polygon, as the work being done on Atmosphir borderlines legality.

Wouldn't that still be an issue with that MMO Wowfun mentioned though...?
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.