The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Inactivity

A place to talk about our community
papaya
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by papaya »

this forum is so ded its like dedder than

woops this isnt pigflags

I think everyone's excuse will be 'but schoooooool soon/now!'
it really is worrying that people have school 24 hours a day

this forum has, like it or not, been on a steady decline of activity. You can chalk it up to TLL/TTA being banned or that atmosphir sucks or that street is a furry but at the end of the day there really is no use trying to find one cause when this trend has been going on since pre-voxelus

Essentially, OMB is one splinter of the fractured atmosphir community. There are still groups of people from atmosphir playing with each other still, they just kinda.. moved on from atmosphir. As atmosphir was the only thing that joined us together, those who no longer have an interest in it will quite simply not want to be here. Which, since they're also the only people who have heard of the game, are our only way of getting more members.

this is why I have time and time again pointed this out and said that the choices are either someone does something to get us more members or we all shift to like a steam group or irc chatroom. It's not all doom and gloom yet, this forum probably has a few months of activity left if things stay as they are, and I'm hopeful it won't (and will instead get more members)

in short: casual observation suggests that we should probably do something about it or risk 'extinction'
Htenneb

Post by Htenneb »

papaya wrote:this forum is so ded its like dedder than

woops this isnt pigflags

I think everyone's excuse will be 'but schoooooool soon/now!'
Good point!
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

You know, it sounds quite sensible to advertise somewhere to pull in a bit more people. I am unfamiliar of any sort of video game blogs or sites, so perhaps that is something for me to look into. If you happen to know of any place, let me know :)

I think there is a bit of steep incline to get into Atmosphir currently since it is a bit of hidden place here. It would be quite nice if we could put a download link on the homepage, to sort of make it more visible.
Baufritz
Location: Trapped on a huge round rock hurtling with immense speeds around a fiery star.
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Post by Baufritz »

Htenneb wrote: I don't want to hear about "you lives outside this". I have a life too you know and if I can make time you can also.
Oh god, is writing on OMB now mandatory?! Better make some room for it in my morning routine...[/sarcasm]
Phantomboy wrote:advertising
Just be careful, since we're modifying a copyrighted game here...
papaya wrote:TLL/TTA being banned
Well, they kinda turned OMB into a huge pigflag
If it's broken, fix it.
If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

I think really instead of complaining about the inactivity, why not try and do something about it?
I myself have been sending omb to a few friends. Idk if anyone will actually join up, but I think the issue is that the main focus of the forum is atmosphir. IMO we need quite a few new boards for discussion of other things.
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
papaya

Post by papaya »

well the problem is most of the people I know who I'd want to expose to omb already know about it and refuse to partake/are banned, for varying reasons

the last thing we need is new boards when there's so little discussion going on as is. Less subforums, more megathreads.
Rabbidfan236

Post by Rabbidfan236 »

Don't worry I'm still alive.

Okay now time to go watch Game Grumps
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

papaya wrote: I think everyone's excuse will be 'but schoooooool soon/now!'
Yeah, because high school and college deeeeefinitely aren't even REMOTELY time consuming.
Phantomboy wrote:I am unfamiliar of any sort of video game blogs or sites, so perhaps that is something for me to look into. If you happen to know of any place, let me know :)
While I don't like the odds of this working in our favor for a number of reasons, Extra Credits occasionally does episodes called "Games You Might Not Have Tried" where they talk about obscure games, so I guess that's something...

On a more general note, you can complain about slow activity all you want, but it's not going to change anything. It's perfectly fine to want more activity, but you actually have to take initiative if you want to get something to happen. Just ranting all over the forums doesn't cut it. And don't think I'm not thinking about it too. In addition to this forum, there's a Mario Kart forum that I'm also very active on. There's a number of users there who are around the age we all were when we found Atmosphir, so I'm willing to bet at least a few people there would be interested in Atmosphir if I talked about it there, and I fully intend to do just that in the near future (To be honest, the only reason I haven't yet is because I just joined it back in June).

As I've said before, niche communities such as this one aren't exactly famous for being bursting at the seams with new posts or users or whatever. Seeing as even the biggest forums don't see every single user posting at every single hour of every single day, expecting that to come out of this forum is not a realistic expectation. It sounds simple in theory, but in practice there's a number of factors (personal schedules, interest in the forum, so on and so forth) preventing that from ever actually happening, no matter how many members you have.

Also, this thread is coming off more like, "If I have time to post every day, then so do you", and I don't buy that. Almost everyone here is about to start/in high school or college, and when you're at that level, you can't afford to sidetrack yourself all willy-nilly. High school/college students do have other obligations, because they are either a) taking difficult courses, or b) involved in a lot of extracurricular activities. The bottom line here is that if someone has a lot going on (and I'm not limiting this to school alone), 9 times out of 10 they're going to be too busy for a single forum to constantly be lingering over their heads. This is not any less true now than it was two years ago when OMB first started up.

Read that last sentence again. Two years. Two years ago, this forum was not all that much more active than it is now. That alone should be enough to prove that this whole "Doom and gloom" thing is being blown out of proportion. If you are genuinely convinced that this forum is on the chopping block (Which, to be honest, I'm having a hard time believing since I'm seeing more complaining than action), take action. It doesn't even have to be something huge, you can just mention it on another forum you use or something. It's not that hard.

(Apologies for making this post so lengthy, I just really felt like I couldn't afford to cut corners here)
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
LordFinnagin

Post by LordFinnagin »

I just can't find a way to get on here for some reason. I'm logging in after months here.
Sebastian Lawe
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

Htenneb wrote: I don't want to hear about "you lives outside this". I have a life too you know and if I can make time you can also.
Starting September 2nd my time is tied. Wake up at 5:00am, catch morning bus at 6:46am, arrive at college at 7:17am, start classes at 8:00am, finish at 4:30pm, catch a bus at 4:40pm, arrive home at 5:11pm, eat supper, then do homework until 9:00 after which I must go to bed so I can be asleep by 10:00 (need 8 hours of sleep to be sane). On days where I have work, I'll have to eat supper and then work a shift from 6:30pm to 11:30pm (weee, sleep deprivation).

3 hours and 49 minutes each day, dedicated to homework (5 hours when it comes to my job). After two years have passed, my full devotion can once again go to this forum, provided it still lives then.
totaldile

Post by totaldile »

I log on pretty much to read the new posts. Most often there's not anything I can contribute to, so I stay silent.
LordFinnagin

Post by LordFinnagin »

True love. The amount of cries I teared on this post is over 5.
papaya

Post by papaya »

Sebastian Lawe wrote: 3 hours and 49 minutes each day, dedicated to homework

what the fuck
Rabbidfan236

Post by Rabbidfan236 »

Sebastian Lawe wrote:3 hours and 49 minutes each day, dedicated to homework
What the hell do you do in school?
Baufritz
Location: Trapped on a huge round rock hurtling with immense speeds around a fiery star.
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Post by Baufritz »

totaldile wrote:I log on pretty much to read the new posts. Most often there's not anything I can contribute to, so I stay silent.
I guess that's how most peeps behave on here too. I'm usually pretty quiet as well.

Also, why the hell do we have about 4 different threads complaining about the same issue?
If it's broken, fix it.
If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

That's a good point. Threads merged.
Rabbidfan236

Post by Rabbidfan236 »

StreetLights wrote:Threads merged.
The ugliest of moderating powers...
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Rabbidfan236 wrote:The ugliest of moderating powers...
Would you prefer I just deleted the previous threads?
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

I suppose we could have kept them separate, locked the old ones and made the last post a link to this thread. Anyways, let's stay on topic :)
papaya

Post by papaya »

great now it's all just a confusing mass of posts

why not just not moderate it at all jesus

as an aside
Baufritz wrote: Just be careful, since we're modifying a copyrighted game here...
is atmosphir still copyrighted?
when does that copyright expire? surely good old halsey cant want to sue us for everything he's got now.